Any Advice Regarding High Blood Pressure Meds & Anti-Depressants??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I had a check-up appointment w/ my doc. The last time I went in to see her (in August), she said my blood pressure was kinda high, and told me to cut back on my salt intake and try getting more exercise (which in my case, isn't all that easy b/c of my back condition: I have degenerative disc disease). Yesterday, my blood pressure was 160-something over 80-something, so she prescribed some blood pressure meds for me to take. She also prescribed an anti-depressant (Effexor), b/c I've been really depressed lately (I'm suffering from PTSD, due to an abusive relationship that occurred several years ago). I really don't like the idea of having to take anymore meds, b/c I'm already taking enough junk as it is due to my back condition (pain meds, muscle relaxers, and Xanaxx for anxiety attacks), but I guess I don't have much of a choice when it comes to the high blood pressure..
It's either that, or take a risk of suffering from a stroke or worse..

Anyway, the stuff she gave me for depression isn't supposed to be used if you have high blood pressure (according to the enclosed brochure) and I'm afraid to take it - especially w/ all the other junk I'm on - even though the doc said it would be okay when I asked her. The thought of taking a mind-altering drug doesn't appeal to me, either - especially if taken with a drug that controls your blood pressure. I tried contacting my pharmacist today to get his opinion, but he's gone till tomorrow. I refuse to take the stuff till I can find out just how safe it is...

I realize that no one here is a medical expert and cannot give medical advice.
But is there anyone who has had any experience taking an anti-depressant/high blood pressure med combination? And what effect did it have on you if you did??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really afraid to take the stuff together!

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

is there anyone who has had any experience taking an anti-depressant/high blood pressure med combination? And what effect did it have on you if you did??
For a couple of years I was taking Diovan for my blood pressure and Celexa for my depression. I had no ill side effects.

I no longer need high blood pressure medications and was taken off of them 1 year ago. I noticed no difference in how I was feeling after the blood pressure medication was stopped. I am still on Celexa and my blood pressure is normal.

Some antidepressants such as Effexor can cause an increase in blood pressure. It's not a given, it's only a possible side effect that some people have exeperienced. Not everyone who takes it will have that side effect.

However you are on blood pressure medication so it shouldn't be a problem with you because your blood pressure is being regulated.

I'm a nurse and we give those medication combinations all of the time to people.

One thing you should know about food and drug laws. If even one person out of a million experienced something while taking a medication, the drug company has to list it as a possible side effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response & advice, Natalie!
It helps to put my mind at ease a little!

I probably wouldn't be worried as much if it wasn't for all the other junk I'm having to take: I'm assuming, then, that the combination w/ the other meds shouldn't be a problem??

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for your response & advice, Natalie!
It helps to put my mind at ease a little!

I probably wouldn't be worried as much if it wasn't for all the other junk I'm having to take: I'm assuming, then, that the combination w/ the other meds shouldn't be a problem??

~KK~
I don't know what other medications you are taking. Your doctor has that list and while they aren't as knowledgable as a pharmacist, they are usually pretty up on what interacts with what.

What other medications are you on?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know what other medications you are taking. Your doctor has that list and while they aren't as knowledgable as a pharmacist, they are usually pretty up on what interacts with what.

What other medications are you on?
Xanaxx for anxiety, and Norco & Flexiril (sp?) for my back condition. I also take Temezapam (sp?) to help me sleep at night, due to the anxiety, and pain from my back condition (I can't get comfortable too easily).

Pretty soon, I'll be able to open my own pharmacy!

Seriously, I don't like taking all this junk one bit.
But what can a girl do?!

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Xanaxx for anxiety, and Norco & Flexiril (sp?) for my back condition. I also take Temezapam (sp?) to help me sleep at night, due to the anxiety, and pain from my back condition (I can't get comfortable too easily).

Pretty soon, I'll be able to open my own pharmacy!

Seriously, I don't like taking all this junk one bit.
But what can a girl do?!

~KK~
They should be ok.

I would talk to your doctor about the Xanax though. If you are now on an antidepressant I would question why you would also need an antianxiety medication too. Prior to going on Celexa I was having terrible anxiety/panic episodes and was taking Ativan for it. I found that once I started on Celexa that it helped not only my mood but also my anxiety levels too.

You may very well notice an improvement in your back pain once on Effexor though. Quite often depression can manifest itself as pain, or exacerbate existing pain.

Still talk to your pharmacist for your own peace of mind though
I always recommend that people talk to their pharmacists about their medications.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They should be ok.

I would talk to your doctor about the Xanax though. If you are now on an antidepressant I would question why you would also need an antianxiety medication too. Prior to going on Celexa I was having terrible anxiety/panic episodes and was taking Ativan for it. I found that once I started on Celexa that it helped not only my mood but also my anxiety levels too.

You may very well notice an improvement in your back pain once on Effexor though. Quite often depression can manifest itself as pain, or exacerbate existing pain.

Still talk to your pharmacist for your own peace of mind though
I always recommend that people talk to their pharmacists about their medications.
I don't think the Effexor is going to have any effect on my back pain, b/c it's a chronic condition.
But then again, who knows?
I'm certainly no expert, and anything is possible! It certainly would be nice if it DID help: I'm tired of having all this pain!

I was thinking the same thing: that if I'm on the Effexor, maybe I won't also need the Xanaxx. Once I start taking the Effexor, I'm going to try and cut back on the Xanaxx and see what happens. That would be one less drug to take!

I do plan on talking to my pharmacist, and also the doc again, before I start taking the stuff - just to be on the safe side. IMO, It's better to take precautions and "worry" a little, than it is to just say the heck with it and proceed w/o any caution..

Thanks again for your help, Natalie!
I really appreciate it!!

~KK~

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your doctor before you adjust or stop your Xanax. If you've been taking it for very long, you run a serious risk of going through benzodiazepine withdrawl. I took myself off Klonopin (cold turkey) several years ago, after taking high doses for several months for middle ear myoclonus. My withdrawl lasted about two weeks, and they were some of the worst weeks I've ever been through (although withdrawl can often last for weeks or months!) I experienced agitation, rage, anxiety, insomnia that lasted nearly the entire two weeks, inappetence, muscle twitches, itching and cramps all over my body. Later I found out that stopping benzodiazepines abruptly can cause especially severe withdrawl symptoms, and can sometimes be fatal. Please read the section called "Physical dependence and withdrawal" at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam Tapering or discontinuing your Xanax will necessitate working closely with your doctor, so please don't try it on your own!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Once I start taking the Effexor, I'm going to try and cut back on the Xanaxx and see what happens. That would be one less drug to take!
Don't mess around with your medications and dosages on your own. Discuss it with your doctor.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Talk to your doctor before you adjust or stop your Xanax. If you've been taking it for very long, you run a serious risk of going through benzodiazepine withdrawl. I took myself off Klonopin (cold turkey) several years ago, after taking high doses for several months for middle ear myoclonus. My withdrawl lasted about two weeks, and they were some of the worst weeks I've ever been through (although withdrawl can often last for weeks or months!) I experienced agitation, rage, anxiety, insomnia that lasted nearly the entire two weeks, inappetence, muscle twitches, itching and cramps all over my body. Later I found out that stopping benzodiazepines abruptly can cause especially severe withdrawl symptoms, and can sometimes be fatal. Please read the section called "Physical dependence and withdrawal" at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam Tapering or discontinuing your Xanax will necessitate working closely with your doctor, so please don't try it on your own!!!
I wasn't planning on going cold turkey, or going off them completely, but trying to cut back on them to just one a day, instead of 2 or 3, and then gradually decreasing them. I know that if you suddenly quit using a drug it can cause serious side-effects, or severe withdrawal symptoms..
I have no desire to go through that!

But thanks for the suggestion, and the link!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't mess around with your medications and dosages on your own. Discuss it with your doctor.
I will!!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be just as concerned at mixing antidepressants and narcotics, if I were you. Make sure to ask your pharmacist about that as well.

I take flexeril too. It has an annoying side effect of dry mouth and occasionally dry eye for me.

Just a suggestion, if you might have high eye pressure for any reason, you might want to get a pressure test done on your eyes.
Hopefully I won't have to quit taking it, as it does work for me. But I'll have to see what the optometrist says tomorrow.

Also, to cut out the salt -do your best to avoid preprocessed/ready made meals and chips. For your own food, look into salt replacements. There are supposed to be some that aren't as metallic tasting.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I would be just as concerned at mixing antidepressants and narcotics, if I were you. Make sure to ask your pharmacist about that as well.

I take flexeril too. It has an annoying side effect of dry mouth and occasionally dry eye for me.

Just a suggestion, if you might have high eye pressure for any reason, you might want to get a pressure test done on your eyes.
Hopefully I won't have to quit taking it, as it does work for me. But I'll have to see what the optometrist says tomorrow.

Also, to cut out the salt -do your best to avoid preprocessed/ready made meals and chips. For your own food, look into salt replacements. There are supposed to be some that aren't as metallic tasting.
I plan on asking the pharmacist about ALL of it!

I haven't had any problems w/ my eyes, although they do get kinda dry on occasion - usually when I've been staring at the computer screen for too long, or if I read a lot. I don't think it's related to the Flexeril..

I don't add a lot of salt to my food, but I do sometimes eat those prepared dinners (such as Hamburger Helper, or preprocessed canned foods like Rotel), but I've been trying to cut back on them b/c I noticed they're high in sodium content. I also don't eat a lot of "junk" food, like chips & stuff. I think my high blood pressure is mostly hereditary, and I have been under a lot of stress the past few years. So I think that that's what's causing it....

Thanks for the input!
Every little bit helps!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haven't had any problems w/ my eyes, although they do get kinda dry on occasion - usually when I've been staring at the computer screen for too long, or if I read a lot. I don't think it's related to the Flexeril..
Just be careful. So many meds and they can all have crazy side effects.
It didn't cause dry eye in my case, it just made it worse. If I take one before bed I'll wake up feeling like my mouth is full of cotton and my eyes full of sand.

How bad is your back anyways, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe you could find some gentler exercises or a buddy with a heated pool.
Another option would be PT to help show you safe exercises.

Good luck getting your blood pressure down.

You're lucky that is doesn't seem to be that high... my mother in law tested her's one day and it was 211/85

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just be careful. So many meds and they can all have crazy side effects.
It didn't cause dry eye in my case, it just made it worse. If I take one before bed I'll wake up feeling like my mouth is full of cotton and my eyes full of sand.

How bad is your back anyways, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe you could find some gentler exercises or a buddy with a heated pool.
Another option would be PT to help show you safe exercises.

Good luck getting your blood pressure down.

You're lucky that is doesn't seem to be that high... my mother in law tested her's one day and it was 211/85
211/85!
I'm amazed she's alive!

I don't have any problems w/ "cottonmouth", but my eyes do sometimes feel like they're full of sand, too. But like I said, it's usually when I've overused them...

My back is in pretty bad shape: I have degenerative disc disease, and have already had one back surgery. I've tried physical therapy which did no good, and I go to a chiropractor to help keep it in alignment. It helps to some degree, but it'll never be "normal" again. I've just learned to live w/ it: there's not much that can be done anymore. I'm now in the process of trying to get disability, b/c my docs have declared me permanently disabled..

Oh well - life goes on. Things could always be worse!

~KK~

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

211/85!
I'm amazed she's alive!
In 2003 I felt like my head was going to explode and that I was on the verge of a stroke. I didn't have a headache, just a feeling that my head was going to blow up. I went to my doctor and my blood pressure was 200/140. He couldn't shove a pill in my mouth fast enough and he made me stay there until it worked and then sent me home with samples until I could get my prescription filled.

A year ago my blood pressure started to return to normal for some reason. Well, normal for me. It was 140/85 or 135/90 or so. And that is what my body had been used to.

The last time I had it done a few weeks ago it was 130/65 which is really low for me.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is worrying you i would be getting a second opinion! Tell another gp of your concerns.

I've had the combination of depression/high blood pressure, but not the medications. My blood pressure goes up and down, i have had alot of stress and such so it's been more up lately. I also go with your thing of not wanting to take mind altering drugs. Obviousely the levels of depression are different in people. I've some how managed with all the crud to manage but some days i really struggle.

If your depression is crippling you then talk to your doc. In regards to your blood pressure, maybe you can see a nutritionist about your diet or something, if you cannot excercise due to your back. There are always ways.

Are you going to councelling at all? Perhaps you can do that to also deal with your depression/past relationship troubles. That is what i am doing. I don't have alot of money but i'm managing to see someone at a lower rate as i got referred to them from my employment agency.

I don't know if this helps at all

PS: And i thought my pressure was high. The highest i've had measured was 140/90. My lowest was 120/79 (i'm hoping to get back to that). I get stressed when i turn up at the docs. It is an uphill walk too that the bus doesn't go up so when i get there i'm pooped. Also as i am a cuddly chick the arm band really hurts when it's fully inflated and i get even more stressed

Glad you're not me lol

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are nervous about the combo at all in how it will affect your BP - buy a blood pressure cuff and take your own reading every morning when you wake up first thing, and check later too.

It is good to do a baseline in the a.m., before other things set in that can raise it. I had potential issues with high BP and my doc wanted me to check it in case I went into a "danger zone".

Even if you trust your doc and mix the meds, I would definitely check it yourself regardless.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In 2003 I felt like my head was going to explode and that I was on the verge of a stroke. I didn't have a headache, just a feeling that my head was going to blow up. I went to my doctor and my blood pressure was 200/140. He couldn't shove a pill in my mouth fast enough and he made me stay there until it worked and then sent me home with samples until I could get my prescription filled.

A year ago my blood pressure started to return to normal for some reason. Well, normal for me. It was 140/85 or 135/90 or so. And that is what my body had been used to.

The last time I had it done a few weeks ago it was 130/65 which is really low for me.
I get that weird "exploding" feeling in my head too sometimes: I always wondered what the heck it was from - now I know. I reckon I'm lucky (or blessed!) that I'm still alive!

I get bad headaches, too. I figured it was from stress, or migraines, but now I'm beginning to think it's due to the high blood pressure..

Is 130/65 TOO low??

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High and low's vary from person to person. Some have slightly higher blood pressure then the suggested 120/80 and are fine. Others have low blood pressure and don't have problems with dizziness, falling/fainting (unfortunately I'm not one of them...).

130/65 doesn't sound that bad to me
And I second getting a home wrist cuff, these run about $50. Maybe you can see if whatever medical coverage you're using now (if you are) will cover the cost, or part of it. It's not uncommon for people to test a bit high at the doctor's office because of nervousness.