To Bear

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I miss you buddy. . .
. . . You were my best friend for so long. Always waiting for me by the door, happy to meet your girl. Even after I left for college, you faithfully waited for me to come home. I hope you are happy at the bridge. You can run and play like you couldn't do for the last few years you were here.

Bear is my only RB baby. He was a rottweiler, alaskan malamute mix that lived to the age of fourteen. He was a big baby, MY big baby. . . I don't think he realized that he weighed 110 pounds, he thought he was a lap dog. We had to put him to sleep a couple of months ago because he couldn't get around anymore and was in pain. I still can't talk about him without crying, couldn't even make this post without tearing up. Does it ever get better?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest in peace Bear,
yep it does get better with time.
in time what will matter will be the happy memories you have.
i really do think, that its not really good-bye, its only until we meet again.

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your loss. I know the pain you feel. Hang in there...your special ones will always be with you.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely tribute to your beloved Bear.
He will always be with you in your heart.

Rest in Peace sweet Bear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't write very much about him because it is still too hard. . . I miss my puppy. . . My parents have a new dog now, but no dog will ever replace Bear. He convinced everyone he met that big dogs, even big black ones, were great. I have one friend that is deathly scared of big dogs, yet she was never scared of Bear because she said he made her feel safe. He was very protective of our family, but never agressive. Whenever my dad and I would play wrestle when I was little, Bear would always jump in to referee. Once when I was babysitting two of my little cousins, they started to get into a fight. Bear walked right over, took the littlest of the two by the back of his overalls, and gently guided him away from his brother. He then sat between them like "if you want to get to him, you have to go through me".

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like he was a wonderfull dog! He knew you loved him and thats what matters. He'll be waiting for you over the bridge! RIP BEAR

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. He will always be in your heart.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been eight months now... I'm starting to think that it is never going to get better.

When Bear was PTS, I was with him because I was not going to let him be alone. I'm still having trouble thinking about him without reliving his last moments here. I have a picture of me and him on my desk at work and I try my hardest to always picture him like that but it's so hard. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have stayed in the room because then I wouldn't have seen the life draining from his eyes and it wouldn't be all I could think about. Then again, I know if I hadn't I would have regretted leaving him alone.

What do you do to make yourself remember the good times and not the bad? I really want to be able to think about him (and talk about him) without breaking down into tears. I thought after eight months it wouldn't be a problem, now it just seems like an impossibility.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on your loss of Bear
Having a big dog PTS can be hard; my GSH/Husky, Tasha, didn't want to leave me and was fighting the serum. I wanted to panic, because I'd lost a horse that just wouldn't "give up the ghost", but in a stroke of inspiration, told Tasha, "Go get Tinker" (my 37yo RB mare) - and her ears pricked up & instantly was gone. the vet looked up at me, and with tears in her eyes, said quietly, "She just did." so I know that our RB doggies are valiantly guarding Heaven's gates, and romping happily with all those other spirits and souls who have crossed over.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I might have said before that Bear was 14 when he left us for the Bridge, he was actually 15 and when I think about it, I know he was ready to go. He didn't fight it, and I'm glad because I think I would have freaked out if he did. He went very peacefully actually and he knew we were there for him. That big lug loved me, there's no doubt about that. He knew he was loved too.

You know, it's wierd, I know he's watching over me. When he first left us, I got really worried about my cats leaving me too for some reason. They were all maybe a year old then but I was terrified I was going to somehow lose them all too. During that time, I was thinking a lot about the bridge I guess and I started wondering if Bear and the kitties would know eachother and get along up there (they never met down here). . . I'm not sure why I ever even wondered though, I know that whenever one of my kitties has to leave me for the bridge, Bear will be the first one to greet them.

RIP Bear, I'll always love you and I know I'll see you again some day.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Bear.
It's hard but yes, it will get better. You will never forget, but as time goes on, you will feel better and be able to think of Bear and remember the happy times you had with him and how happy you made him! I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you. RIP Bear.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I am so sorry for your loss of Bear.
It's hard but yes, it will get better. You will never forget, but as time goes on, you will feel better and be able to think of Bear and remember the happy times you had with him and how happy you made him!
altho thinking of Mouse makes me sad that she's no longer with me, i rarely cry anymore... still do on occasion, but rarely.