Some Issues With Morgan

morgandt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome.
Morgan is my 15 year old boy. I got him at the age of 2 and know him very well.
I have always known his likes and dislikes.
For about the past two years, he has gradually had an issue with bathing himself to the point of almost bald spots. I have taken him to several vets. Two in the past year. One of which was a "Cat Clinic". Nobody can find something that works for any length of time except a steroid shot. That works for about a month. His mood will relax and he does not bath, or seem to have the nerves.
But within a month, he seems to revert back to bathing, whining, and finickiness.

Right now his hair on his hind quarters is very thin. I suspected an allergy issue with food. I tried some special dry food from the vet and he puked it up, would not eat it.
While in my search mode on this site, I read allot about diets. Quite a bit I never knew too. Recently I have been weaning him onto a can diet, with dry snack while I am not home.
Can anybody out there offer some help with some good food ideas or maybe some educated opinions regarding his grooming issue?
I am at my wits end and it is killing me to see him uncomfortable in any way.
Thanks in advance. Any opinions or advise given is warmly apreciated.
-John

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What exactly are you feeding him?

If you suspect a food allergy you can try a limited ingredient food. California Natural Chk and Rice is one, as is Natural Balance Duck and Gr Pea (both are dry foods).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When was his last senior blood panel>>>?>??

I would do that again if not done in the last six months....

again What is he eating ?? is it a senior food??? wet or dry or both???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morgandt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for responding,
Currently, I am feeding both my cats IAMS, Lamb & Rice dry and Fancy Feast (3oz can, 1 can each, in the morning and evening. With a little dry left while I am at work.
I am finding their finickiness feeding them the can food. I believe the only ones they like are fish, or chicken flavors. And it must be the minced. They don't care for any of the chunky/shredded variety.
IAMS has been the most consistent dry food for them for the past 6 years or so.
I have also tried Science Diet, Eukaneiba (however you spell it), Natures ***** (can't recall the name.
They were also given a allergy formula dry from the vet that they would have no part of.
I have read some of the brands you all speak of and have looked in the two major pet stores in my area. I can't seem to find them.
What do you all recomend?
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
-John

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morgandt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as when Morgan was given his senior blood work,
Last summer. He was tested for worms, blood count, and even kidney function.
He was thoroughly tested over four visits last summer.
Thanks for asking,
-John

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MorgandT

Thank you both for responding,
Currently, I am feeding both my cats IAMS, Lamb & Rice dry and Fancy Feast (3oz can, 1 can each, in the morning and evening. With a little dry left while I am at work.
I am finding their finickiness feeding them the can food. I believe the only ones they like are fish, or chicken flavors. And it must be the minced. They don't care for any of the chunky/shredded variety.
IAMS has been the most consistent dry food for them for the past 6 years or so.
I have also tried Science Diet, Eukaneiba (however you spell it), Natures ***** (can't recall the name.
They were also given a allergy formula dry from the vet that they would have no part of.
I have read some of the brands you all speak of and have looked in the two major pet stores in my area. I can't seem to find them.
What do you all recomend?
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
-John
Petco carries Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea. That would be a good one to try if you suspect a food allergy and he has been eating a lot of chicken. Eating a lot of something over a long period of time can lead to an allergy to it. Not always though. Just a possibility.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest the pea and duck formula the ingrediants are very limited and the % are right for a senior cat ...

If you just want to see if it is a issue with by products and excessive grains look at natural choice or sensible choice both have a senior formula and higher fatty acid levels than Iams as what you decribe could simply be that ....

FF is not the best in wet food look at the label ... meat by products is a GENERAL term that can be any meat with parts of heads ft intestines... also often having wheat and soy

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also want to think carefully about any change to the environment that happened at the same time as when he started scratching. I know 2 years is a long time to think back but someone in these forums reported that when one of her cats developed allergy like symptoms that she eventually figured out that it started at the same time as when she started using one of those air fresheners that automatically sprays the freshener periodically. When she stopped using those the symptoms stopped.

Does he mostly scratch himself at places that come into contact with something? Think along those lines.

Also, the PetsMarts around here carry some of the "prescription" foods. If you can't find the Natural Balance Duck and Gr Pea maybe you can find a prescription allergy food there. Here, the prescription foods are segregated from the regular food, with feline and canine foods being together.

Whatever food you try the key is one that has a single source of protein (like duck) and a single source of carbs (like gr pea). Preferably a unique (something he isn't currently eating) protein (like duck) and a unique carb (like gr pea).

I hope you find something to help him.