Weight loss in cat

uagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I switched my cat and kitten from Science Diet to Nutro Max during the summer. My cat Coco is 7 years old and weighed about 16 lbs this summer. I noticed recently that she didn't feel as heavy to me when I picked her up. I weighed her, and sure enough, she is down to 13.2 lbs. I have seen nothing to indicate she is sick or not feeling well, as she has been eating and drinking normally. She has never been a playful cat, but she does play on occasion, and that hasn't stopped either. Is a 2.8 lb weight loss in just a few months something to be concerned about, especially since she is still her happy self?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ONE wt control foods only work for some.... as they are high in carbs ...

3 lbs is 3-4 months is very steady and good

You will find alot of threads on wt control if you do a search

find the welcome and your user name and look down to the colored line to search ... type in wt loss and have fun

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably be a bit concerned and have bloodwork done, but I tend to be overly paranoid. Do the foods you were using have a different number of calories? If the new one had fewer calories and you were feeding the same amount, that could account for the loss of weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I would probably be a bit concerned and have bloodwork done, but I tend to be overly paranoid. Do the foods you were using have a different number of calories? If the new one had fewer calories and you were feeding the same amount, that could account for the loss of weight.
the new food is FAR more digestable ....
OPPS I thought you said max light ... I would suggest blood work too...it could just be a more digestable food