TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Strawberry spinach salad....help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strawberry spinach salad....help!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Has anyone ever made this? I was asked to bring it for Thanksgiving and I have no idea how to do it right. I know it has bacon, spinach and strawberries, but that's all I know. I have looked it up online but would like a tried and true recipe from one of you guys, since I know we all share recipes and you've helped me in the past (thank you!)
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
post #2 of 13
That doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but here are some recipes that I found in google when I searched for strawberry+spinach+bacon+salad

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf99780201.tip.html

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/recipes...-dressing.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawbe...-I/Detail.aspx
post #3 of 13
... Ew. Spinach.... and strawberries?
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
LOL not COOKED spinach....it's just like lettuce pretty much when it's raw. And strawberries.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
That doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but here are some recipes that I found in google when I searched for strawberry+spinach+bacon+salad

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf99780201.tip.html

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/recipes...-dressing.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawbe...-I/Detail.aspx
That first recipe sounds like what I'm looking for, though what do you think of that dressing? I was hoping for a more olive oil based one, it sounds kind of thick?
post #6 of 13
Who the heck asked you to specifically bring strawberry, spinach salad anyway? Sounds pretty........[urp] to me!! Hey, bring bring what you know and enjoy, don't let someone dictate to you!!
post #7 of 13
I've seen strawberry spinach salad... but never with bacon! Blecch! It's actually very nice with poppyseed dressing and maybe a few chopped pecans, but... please, no bacon!

And anyway... I agree with PookieBoy. Bringing a dish is supposed to be your chance to share something you know and enjoy making!
post #8 of 13
I love that kind of salad but usually the only time I have had it was in th esummer. Its a very crisp and refreshing one. Goes great with BBQ. I quess it would work at a Thanksgiving meal too. Heres wha I found for you a cooks.com

For just Strawberry Spinich salad there were 194 different recipies. It will take a while but look through them you may just find some that look good. Remeber the trick with cooks.com they list some of the incrediants at the end of each discription.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._salad,FF.html

Here is a link for Strawberry Bacon Spinich Salad, only 9 results but all look good.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=st...+spinach+salad

Some have heavy more creamy type od dressings and others have more of a vinigrett styl so pick ne you like. This may just be the salad we use to. IT is tastey.
post #9 of 13
Here's one, with a choice of dressings...

1 bag of spinach (I think the usual is 10 oz)
1-2 cups sliced fresh strawberries

Clean both, mix in a bowl and set aside.

For the dressing:
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 green onion, finely chopped

Combine all ingredients in a container with a lid. Shake well before serving. Can be made a day or two in advance.

Garnish:
1/2 cup slivered (or sliced) almonds
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons water

Combine all ingredients in a non-stick frying pan or pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted sugar turns golden brown and coats almonds (10-15 minutes). Turn out onto a piece of greased foil to cool. Break into small pieces.

(Cooks and cooks' helpers treat the almonds as snack food. It's best to double the almond recipe, if you want any left for the salad!)

Assembly:
Add almond pieces to spinach and strawberries, and dress just before serving. Serves 4-6

Substitutions:
*Can be made with a combination of spinach and romaine.
*Also works well with other fruit: raspberries, blueberries, peaches, mandarin oranges, kiwi, or a combination.
*Alternate dressing:

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 green onion, chopped

I've done it many times, and I've used both dressings, and various combinations of fruit. A crowd pleaser every time. Enjoy!
post #10 of 13
I've had the spinach salad at Bob Evan's Restaurant and it has sliced strawberries on it. It's just a regular spinach salad, with hot bacon dressing. It's probably one of the best salads that I've ever eaten!
post #11 of 13
I got a chuckle out of some of the comments. This has been a winner salad for me for many years. I use the version with the poppy and sesame seed dressing. (This dressing is also very tasty on blanched asparagus and blue cheese or goat cheese served cold.) I only use the baby spinach though for this salad.

I also don't put bacon in my spinach salad.

Just a cute story about this salad. I served it when my BIL, SIL and their 4 children were over. My neice was about 10 or 11 yrs. old. She had some of the salad, went for seconds and on her third helping she told her mom that she should make that salad at home with that kind of lettuce. Her mom told her it wasn't lettuce - it was spinach. Erin pushed the plate away from her and said, Ew, I can't eat that, I don't like spinach.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I got a chuckle out of some of the comments. This has been a winner salad for me for many years. I use the version with the poppy and sesame seed dressing. (This dressing is also very tasty on blanched asparagus and blue cheese or goat cheese served cold.) I only use the baby spinach though for this salad.

I also don't put bacon in my spinach salad.

Just a cute story about this salad. I served it when my BIL, SIL and their 4 children were over. My neice was about 10 or 11 yrs. old. She had some of the salad, went for seconds and on her third helping she told her mom that she should make that salad at home with that kind of lettuce. Her mom told her it wasn't lettuce - it was spinach. Erin pushed the plate away from her and said, Ew, I can't eat that, I don't like spinach.
Yeah when I say spinach, people automatically say "EW" LOL
I did find the recipe I was looking for. I am going to my boyfriend's family for the first time and asked what I should bring. His mom just kinda said "I could go for that spinach strawberry salad." I don't think she realized I've never made it before. But I love cooking and like trying new recipes so I took the idea and ran with it. I also heard of using the premade poppyseed dressing, but I want to go with the wow factor and make it home made. At least I hope it will be a wow factor and not an ewwwww factor!
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagerie mama View Post
Yeah when I say spinach, people automatically say "EW" LOL
I did find the recipe I was looking for. I am going to my boyfriend's family for the first time and asked what I should bring. His mom just kinda said "I could go for that spinach strawberry salad." I don't think she realized I've never made it before. But I love cooking and like trying new recipes so I took the idea and ran with it. I also heard of using the premade poppyseed dressing, but I want to go with the wow factor and make it home made. At least I hope it will be a wow factor and not an ewwwww factor!
Definitely go for the homemade dressing - it's much different than pre-made. I just use a pickle jar to put all the ingredients in, shake it up and take it with the salad. Just before serving I shake and pour the dressing over the salad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Strawberry spinach salad....help!