Kittie with "IBS" from EVO? Now trying Orijen.

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have 2 6-month-old female kittens. I tried EVO dry for itprotein. One of the cats was fine, and the other seems to have stinky "output" and also may struggle in the litter box. I've checked, and it isn't diarreah and there doesn't seem to be any blood. She sometimes "chirrs" when she's coming out of the litter box like she wants my attention. It may be unrelated (like she's just coming to me to say hi).

I am worried that the EVO is upsetting her. I've checked her bum, and it looks a little irritated. Not red, just like there's more that wants to come out... sorry this sounds gross. Also, her bum has brown right at the opening... as if she could go again at any moment. She doesn't act irritated. She is also the bigger of the two (larger and possibly getting fatter).

I have been feeding only dry thus far (basically b/c it's what my family did with my old cat)... but I am starting to think I might need to get wet. Right now, I have switched to Orijen dry and started mixing with with the EVO yesterday. So far, I haven't seen a difference in the "output."

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I love my little girls and I'll do anything to keep them healthy and happy!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some grain free drys ( EVO is likely the worst) are TOO HIGH in protein that is hard to digest ... see high protein wet food has the MOISTURE of a MOUSE or Bird ( ie reg wild prey) and the protein is FAR FAR easier to digest ... In some cats the digestion of grain free is FAR less than a grain food since the protein is in a hard to digest form...

IF anyone want s a better explaination just ask or PM ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sharky!

What wet food do you recommend?
Also, is dry okay for throughout the day for munching?
If so, what dry food do you recommend (and can it have grain in it)?

Thanks again for your great advice!

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats had horrid, nasty, intractable diarrhea when I tried them on the EVO... even with a measured gradual switch over a 2 week period of time. Some animals just can't handle EVO. If your cat isn't doing well, then definately try something new!

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again and thanks again for the advice.

I looked into Nutro Natural Choice and the ingredients list "chicken meal" and "corn gluten meal." among other things.

I am confused about what and how much "meal" can be in my kitties' food. They are doing a little better but not much better with the Orijen. They like it, and their "output" stinks less... but they still pass gas and seem to have tender bottoms.

Thanks,
LK

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MEAL = minus about 90% water and 80-90% fat ... ie concentrated./..

fresh chicken you need 5lbs for one lb of meal

corn gluten meal = the protein part of the corn Ie digestablity of 66-76% ... corn meal is 30-50... The purpose is for UTI health and adjusting the % in the chn ...

DOes that help>>???

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

MEAL = minus about 90% water and 80-90% fat ... ie concentrated./..

fresh chicken you need 5lbs for one lb of meal

corn gluten meal = the protein part of the corn Ie digestablity of 66-76% ... corn meal is 30-50... The purpose is for UTI health and adjusting the % in the chn ...

DOes that help>>???
I think so. Thanks.
I think that I will keep the Orijen until it runs out and find a wet to feed the girls as well. For the wet, I am guessing I need to read the labels and make sure it's good. Any opinions on the best for this? How often do I feed the wet? one can split into 2 times in the day?

Thanks again!
-LK

p.s. Sharky, I never received the "list." Could you re-send. Thanks!!!!