Driving me nuts

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had an influx lately of people wanting teacup persians. I swear i am sounding like a broken record trying not to be mean. as i explain why i do not have teacup persians. and why no reputable breeder would..

Save me..

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about the second they say 'teacup Persian' you gasp in horror and wonder aloud how anyone could possibly do that to the poor creature... Okay, maybe only I'd do that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no..trust me I DO I DO I DO...but i have to be professionaly nice about it. most of the time after my big educational speel I havent heard back..

One couple however took my words to heart and have been emailing me back about it. so I think thats hopefully but seriously...ARGGHHHHHHH..i told my husband i wanted to pull my hair out.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pardon my ignorance, what is a teacup persian? Is it one of those designer kitties that is essential a physical handicap?

I have no interest in another cat, I'm just curious. I'd like to hear the whole spiel, the nice one or the not so nice one is fine.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am heading off to work here soon. But yes Teacup persians are essentially a designer name people who have taken runts, and bred to runts. and contiuned to do so ect ect untilt hey get a smaller version of IMO an already rather small cat.

No matter the health risks.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I'm being dense but if a teacup is just the product of small examples of the breed what is the health concern? I poked around at a couple of sites and the teacup adults seem to be in the low 5 lb range. That doesn't seem horrifically small to me. Singapuras are naturally about that small.

Again, excuse me if I'm being dense. I don't know anything about breeding, I'm looking to be educated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Sorry if I'm being dense but if a teacup is just the product of small examples of the breed what is the health concern? I poked around at a couple of sites and the teacup adults seem to be in the low 5 lb range. That doesn't seem horrifically small to me. Singapuras are naturally about that small.

Again, excuse me if I'm being dense. I don't know anything about breeding, I'm looking to be educated.
Your not being dense

but try thinking of it like this
say an ave persian is 8lbs a 5lb one is 37.5% smaller than ave .... think of what issues arise in humans that are that much smaller than ave ... In human terms it would take an ave five foot eight person and make them three and a half feet

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Your not being dense
Don't be so sure.

but try thinking of it like this
say an ave persian is 8lbs a 5lb one is 37.5% smaller than ave .... think of what issues arise in humans that are that much smaller than ave ... In human terms it would take an ave five foot eight person and make them three and a half feet
Yeah, so? What's wrong with 3 1/5 ft people as long as they are healthy? Of course with humans there is the problem with people that small coping in a world designed for larger people. Cats don't have that problem though.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have actualy seen teacups getting smaller..and smaller and smaller. 2.5lbs being the average from the sites i have seen lately which admitedly whichis not to many. But.. seriously a cat thats 2.5lbs at maturity? when that cat is suppoed to be around 8-14lbs? There are going to be health issues.

And there are. With Many of the "teacups" not just persians. If you would like a link with stories about the problems you can pm me. someone here sent it to me and I am not sure if they want it posted publicly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most human dwarfs( or those with dwarfism to be PC
) DO have HEART , lung , jt and other major issues related to full size organs being crammed into a small body

Can you Pm me the link??

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I have actualy seen teacups getting smaller..and smaller and smaller. 2.5lbs being the average from the sites i have seen lately which admitedly whichis not to many. But.. seriously a cat thats 2.5lbs at maturity? when that cat is suppoed to be around 8-14lbs? There are going to be health issues.

And there are. With Many of the "teacups" not just persians. If you would like a link with stories about the problems you can pm me. someone here sent it to me and I am not sure if they want it posted publicly.
So they do have health problems? That is what I was after. I'll PM you.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes. not *always* but more often than not yes they do.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

We have one Persian that is about 5.5 pounds. She is regular size, but just tiny, and that is just how she is. We had another who only weighed about 5 pounds. Again, she was regular size, just was didn't weigh much. Both were healthy. The other two we have are 8 and 10 pounds. If this is small for a regular size Persian, then you can imagine how tiny this would be for an even smaller cat.