My next cat got away - sad story

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a nice cat show up last week, and he was coming around every day. He was very sweet and I could pick him up and do anything I wanted with him, very gentle. I decided to take him in, but first, since he was so gentle, I wanted to check for a microchip, I figure he must have been a pet. I got him in a carrier, even though he was upset about it. I took him to the local vet hospital, and they said they could come out to the car to check him. Unfortunately, the tech let him get by her and the cat darted away so fast, we never could find him again. I've been back there 4 times, but I can't locate him. I am so mad that we didn't take him into the building to do the check. Grrrrr.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

How far is the vet's from your home? Is it possible that he'll come "home" looking for food?
As the crow flies, it's about half a mile. But several streets with heavy traffic, lots of apts, whew, if he did make it he's going to get the royal treatment. I really would be shocked if it happened though. Maybe the vet tech should have known better, maybe I should have known better than to attempt the reading outside. Live and learn.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
JIMO, but I really think that the vet tech should have been more careful, personally. I feel for you -- that's a really tough situation you're in. It's very possible that he will make it home again, though, if there's enough incentive there for him to do so.

Have you thought about offering some really good-tasting food at the vet's office to see if he comes for it? That's how we snagged Molly

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of vet that would come out to your car, that is just ridiculous. I have no doubt that you thought it would be a good idea, at first it sounds like it is, but didn't she at least shut the car door until he was secured in the carrier?
You are being a lot nicer that I would have been. I must commend you for that. I would have had her head on a stick! That is after she hunted my cat no matter how many days it took.
Vibes and prayer tht he is safe and finds his way back to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I have never heard of vet that would come out to your car, that is just ridiculous. I have no doubt that you thought it would be a good idea, at first it sounds like it is,
I didn't know how close the chip reader needed to be to the cat, I thought it could read through the plastic carrier. I just went with the program when she opened up the carrier. Who am I to doubt a trained professional?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(((hugs)))
I am so sorry that happened to you! He is a beautiful boy, I hope that he finds a way home.