Craigslist makes me so angry!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should say...the people posting on Craigslist to get rid of their pets.

Here is the one today:
"Am moving to a no-pet community, have to get rid of our 2 7-month old cats. Their parents are my mom's cats. These cats are not neutered/spayed but no problems there."

Seriously

How do you not send an angry e-mail to people like that? I'm not, but I soooo want to. I like looking at the pictures of pets on CL and petfinder but CL just makes me angry.

That's all. I'm done venting.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone on my Craigslist (Washington, DC) was trying to "get rid of" their 17 year old cat who cried alot when she was alone. Thankfully someone took her. I thought my head was going to explode when I read that one.

I like Craigslist, though, because if you want to adopt a needy pet you can do so without jumping through the hoops *some* rescue organizations want you to. My government security background check was less intrusive than the requirements of some rescuers.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope the kittens find a better, forever home.

I don't go to craigslist for anything anymore for sooooo many reasons...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason why I look on the pet listings on Craiglist is to see the people fighting on there about false listings or people that ask too much for their pet

Some people really a good whack on the head by a thing called reality.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible, I just don't understand how you could move somewhere that doesn't allow pets? That's messed up!!!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

That is terrible, I just don't understand how you could move somewhere that doesn't allow pets? That's messed up!!!!!
That's how we got Whitey. The lady lived someplace that didn't allow pets, but she got Whitey anyways.

Once the word got back to the office that she had a cat, she had a choice of getting evicted or getting rid of the cat. Rumor had it that she had the money to move out and get a new place, but in the end she gave him up.

In a sense, I'm glad for messed up people like that.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've searched Craig's List for pets before, and never really had a lot of luck with it. For example, just now I did a search, and the only actual animal involved was a "want" ad, rather than a "giving up" ad.

In retrospect, I'm really glad to see that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

I've searched Craig's List for pets before, and never really had a lot of luck with it. For example, just now I did a search, and the only actual animal involved was a "want" ad, rather than a "giving up" ad.

In retrospect, I'm really glad to see that!
I see want ads for pets, which are nice but they usually read something like this:

"Wanted: a Kitten for Christmas for my daughter. Would preferably be around 12 weeks old at Christmas." (saw that one today too)

"Wanted: Purebread Persian Kitten."

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or, there are people like this:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pet/493994727.html

If it gets flagged, this is the text:

I'm looking for (2) three week old kittens to take home and love unconditionally. Preferrably siblings, and hopefully free! If you have some, please let me know and send me a picture. I'm looking for some adorable kittens...if I don't find them here I will check at the shelter.

Thanks a bunch!

---------------------------
It makes me sick, what could they be wanting such a baby for? I can only hope its not for food!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a guy i work with posted his cats there,
2 older cats a four declawed, getting rid of them cause we are getting a dog

not joking that was his add, his wife got mad cause no bengal breeder in the area would sale them a kitten, so he dropped the 2 cats they had,,

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wording isn't the best and offensive to a animal lover. But in all honesty, at least they are trying to find the cats a home instead of dumping them. Not all adoptions have to be (nor should they be) through Petfinder or other organizations. Maybe it's not the best way but .....

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

The wording isn't the best and offensive to a animal lover. But in all honesty, at least they are trying to find the cats a home instead of dumping them. Not all adoptions have to be (nor should they be) through Petfinder or other organizations. Maybe it's not the best way but .....
I agree. There are much worse fates for unwanted pets. At least an effort is being made to find these guys new homes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany

Or, there are people like this:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pet/493994727.html

If it gets flagged, this is the text:

I'm looking for (2) three week old kittens to take home and love unconditionally. Preferrably siblings, and hopefully free! If you have some, please let me know and send me a picture. I'm looking for some adorable kittens...if I don't find them here I will check at the shelter.

Thanks a bunch!

---------------------------
It makes me sick, what could they be wanting such a baby for? I can only hope its not for food!!
that does seem extremely suspect

I really wish people would stop offering their pets for free, I mean put a price and then perhaps if you find the right family waive it, but free just invites all sorts of bad things

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may upset people here, but in my experience most people who adopt cats or kittens to others from their homes (breeders aside, I don't know about them) don't have a clue how to screen and they don't have the proper mindset. And in the case of kittens, what are they doing with an unspayed cat who somehow got pregnant?

Most of these people do not think in terms of finding loving "forever parents" for their kittens, as opposed to unloading them without too many questions and telling themselves the new home will be great.

A lot of adoption groups do put people through the wringer and there are indeed people in the field who are obsessed with protecting the cats- but there are always people who are nuts in every job. The intention is to weed out people who think buying a pet is the same as buying some clothes at the mall and to educate them about the commitment.

I wish there were more education given to people about adopting an animal in general, so they would not show up at my adoption show pointing to a kitten and saying "don't you have anything smaller?" or "I want that one for my 2 year old and we will do a 4-paw declaw". So many people think of these animals as things, just like the toys on the display rack. And then there are the responsible adopters who get really ticked off at the paperwork in general because they know they will be great parents and the paperwork doesn't apply to them.

I think we would like to believe that the "good old days" are still here- where families used to have un-spayed cats who could roam safely and have kittens. And those families could find homes in the neighborhood, and everyone would know the kitties by name.

But most communities nowadays have rules about wandering pets, and those that do not are more rural where kitties are going to run into other animal predators instead of the human kind.

I am not talking about private breeders; I'm talking about those Craig's list ads. I do know a few people who have taken in pregnant strays and done a very responsible job of finding homes, but those are the exception-!!

Maybe I've just done too many adoption shows and taken too many calls from people trying to dump their pets. And people who call b/c they see a tame stray outside- they get really unhappy to learn that first of all no one is going to drive over and pick up the kitty right away and save it, let alone take it at all. But if you ask these same people to donate extra money or tax dollars to tackle these problems, everyone turns a blind eye. I guess I'm in a cynical mood today
. Anyhow just my two cents the day before my next adoption show and after a bunch of owner-give-up calls

For anyone who posted before, this doesn't apply to you- it is related to my experiences only-!!!!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we got Mario off of Craig's list...Paula(Alleysmom) found him in the Virginia listings...I flew there and got him and he's happy and healthy
The woman I got him from had turned down several people before I called her. So she was legit...but like anything over the internet you need to use caution...and it makes me so sad to see some of these ads...people giving up there cats

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like I should say that I got Tsar off of craigslist. A woman's neighbor had kittens and Tsar was the last one left. The lady kept Tsar to keep her from going to the pound. I'm happy to have kept her from having to go there. I think there are awful people all over the internet, but it seems like on craigslist there are some really STUPID people....haha

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I agree and I would rather the cats were with someone who would love them unconditionally than with someone who doesn't really want them

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of the listings on Craigslist are definitely heartbreaking and infuriating. As others have said, the ones where pets are offered for free are of real concern. I wish people would have the common sense and enough concern for the animal they're trying to "get rid of" to at least charge some of kind of an adoption fee. The ones where people try to lay a guilt trip on you by saying they're going to take the pet to the pound by a certain date, also get to me. I hate it when they try to make the responsibility someone elses.

That said, I do think Craigslist has the potential to be a valuable tool for rehoming/adopting pets if used wisely, primarily charging a reasonably adoption fee, asking a lot of questions, and screening potential adopters. I know of several local rescues that have found wonderful homes using Craigslist. I usually list the cats/kittens I foster with the stipulation that there will be an adoption fee and an application is required. I've only done one adoption through Craigslist, but it was great one - a young neglected female cat. The adopter was looking for a companion for her very active young male, saw my foster girl and called. I asked her a lot of questions over the phone and checked her vet reference before inviting her over the meet the cat. She was fine with that. I charged a reasonable adoption fee and had her sign an adoption contract. That was 7 months ago and the kitty in question is very much loved and spoiled and gets along great with her brother. I've stayed in contact with the adopter and made a friend in the process. Couldn't have worked out any better.

Sorry for the long post.
Just wanted to share an example of how Craigslist can work if used wisely.

errantrogue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the posts I see, and I'll admit I only look at cats, are from shelters in the area. I've seen a few careless people on there, but I can't complain because I adopted my two cuties from a woman who does rescue work and posts on CL.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know private rescues who use Craigslist with luck. I've had NO luck posting mine there...

I hate the ones where people say why they are getting rid of pets. Usually they have the "its disposable" attitude, rather than the to be hoped for "this animal is part of our family".

After all you wouldn't rehome another child just because one has allergies would you?? LOL. Least, I wouldn't....

I'd be getting that little kid o mine allergy shots stat, and the works for allergy control, and that little kitty, kitty baths, screen door to keep out of kids room, and HEPA filter in the bedroom... see you CAN work round most things...Just a matter of priorities and desires, not to mention what lessons you want to teach your children...

Okay, off now. Fingers crossed cause the flame point Titi is up for re-evaluation from Siamese Rescue. He's getting AWFUL about wanting out, and there is no way if he stays here, that he isn't getting out.

I am not a good for ever mommy for him, because he has no sense AND he wants to roam. My other 2 feral now pets are smart! They don't have trouble with the great outdoors and survival... sigh. And my 17 and 18 year olds were always in/door out/door at will. But here where we live now,
it isn't safe.

I dream of moving to my BF's shack, just so I can have a 5 acre country spread for kitties to safely roam on and no neighbors with pet cat peeves
nearby... cause they are COUNTRY folk, not citified snobs about cats eeeks
sitting on their fences or *gasp* in their YARDs! god forbid the cat come visit.

Okay, rant over. Craigslist is another tool for placing kitties, and like any tool, it has to be used right. As for posters. Well, at least they start somewhere and try. The 'free' ones get me its true, but I like to think at least they are TRYING. Not dumping. and you know, if they DO take to the shelter, at least that cat won't be left starving or crippled to fend for itself...