Time Famine!!! Help I'm a Time Maniac!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm writing a paper for class right now and I was supposed to find some one who has a problem with time famine, or time stress. As I was writing it I realized I have a huge problem with time stress. I can't look away from a clock! I have to do this by this time, be there by that time, and do that by this time. I set time limits for everything I do, and I can't stop. I won't even take naps because I feel that I will waste precious hours that I could be doing something else. I've even created this terrible habit out of this time stress. I can't stand doing only one thing at a time, when I'm cooking I organize the cupboards between stirs, when I watch TV I need to do something like crochet or search the web, I just can't stop saving time!!!

How do you stop yourself from turning into a time maniac like me and how do you stop being one if you've already gone down this dark lonely path?!!?

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know where you are coming from!
I have a hard time sitting still because it'll waste time, I could be doing something else. I cannot do one thing at a time, whenever I watch TV, I must draw/paint/write. Whenever I cook, I must clean something. Theres always time inbetween stirs to clean or organize!
Although I won't wear a watch but there is always things to be done!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be like that! I don't wear a watch; when I have to be somewhere I just leave in plenty of time. We don't have clocks plainly visible in the house, either, and if I know I have an hour (or whatever) to do something, I'll sometimes set a timer and force myself not to check it.

I can't just "relax" either, I have to be sewing or painting or something constructive in order to rest.

Get rid of the clocks and you can't watch them so much. I just had to break myself of the habit. Good luck!

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to help you but I have not got the time
. With me its not a case of time watching but life is to short to sit around lazing too much, its nice to take a break now and then though. I never have a day when I do nothing, I get up usually around 5.30 everyday all year. If I have to be somewhere at a certain time then I always make sure I am on time, but thats more of a case of not letting people down, if I say I will be there at a certain time then usually I will be 30 minutes early.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read your post while also beading a bracelet, baking a pizza, and making a phone call. I don't think I can help you...

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to always check the clock... I also happen to be allergic to base metal, so I can't wear a watch. It used to drive me crazy... but I think getting rid of clocks actually... helps...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I have the opposite problem
I like wasting time with pointless things like naps
I'm with Nat. I hate being overly busy. I get too stressed if I do get that way. Now it's not so bad if I've planned for it, but otherwise it's not my cup of tea.

I've always been a daydreamer. I love lounging in a hammock or on the couch or just in some quiet corner and just daydreaming or thinking. I come up with some good ideas during those times. And if I don't get time for my mind to do its wandering, I'm get rather cranky and just feel stifled.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

...I've always been a daydreamer. I love lounging in a hammock or on the couch or just in some quiet corner and just daydreaming or thinking. I come up with some good ideas during those times. And if I don't get time for my mind to do its wandering, I'm get rather cranky and just feel stifled.
I honestly didn't know what daydreaming was until I was in my 30s. When I was a child, I had to be sharp and on alert all the time. I had no idea what people were talking about: daydreaming! Either you were fully awake or you were asleep having nightmares or night terrors. I also didn't like the saying "May your dreams come true" because that would mean nightmares!

I have taken three three-hour classes in a row, and heard and understood every single word that was said for those nine hours. I've never had a problem with focus. It's the relaxing part that evades me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I read your post while also beading a bracelet, baking a pizza, and making a phone call. I don't think I can help you...
Yeah, I don't think you would be much help to me!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this habit of using the timer on the microwave or range so I allocate time for certain tasks. I usually go "over" the allocated time!!!
When I was in the corporate job world I usually wanted to be at certain points of workload completion at specific times of the day!

rincewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't sit still either.. I do think tho that it might be the coffee drinking. I have to wear a watch I always panic I'll be late for something. i always feel i should be doing something else. My husband on the other hand is the opposite and is late for everything which freaks me out...lol.

I really don't think I could get rid of the clocks...don't make me do it!