Changing their cat food

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided that I didn't want to feed my kitties the junk cat food anymore as they had been eating Friskies meat cuts with gravy in them. I kept reading that those types have wheat glutten in them and this is bad for them.

I went out and got a bag of Nutro Indoor Formula Dry and grabbed some cans of Nutro Natural Choice Chicken & Rice and Ocean Fish & Rice. When I got home, I put out half a can of the Chicken & Rice for each of them. They ate some of it, but not all of it.

Before bed I put out some of the Nutro dry that I got and they ate it like they had never eaten before or ever will again!

This morning I put out some of the ocean fish and they just turned their noses at it, so i opened another can of the chicken. They wouldn't touch the chicken either so I caved and mixed it with the Friskies which they proceeded to eat. They didn't quite finish it up and before I jetted to work I put more dry in their bowl and they immediately started chowing down.

We have actually planned to start feeding them dry in the mornings and then give them wet at night, but they don't seem to really like the Nutro Natural Choice (these are all indoor formula btw). However, they seem to think that the dry is God's gift to cat food!

I really don't want them on an all dry diet, but the Nutro canned food is already $.71 a can and can't really afford the more expensive canned food. I was thinking of taking back the cans I have and trying the Nutro Max (same price).

Anyone here know if the Nutro Max is more tasty to cats? I myself thought the Nutro Natural Choice smelled quite funny, so I'm guessing my furkids most likely don't like the taste or smell. Or any other canned food that will be tasty yet good for my babies that cost around the same?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started the nutro max cat dry. I'm mixing the Purina one kitten with it right now and Jack will pick out the Nutro and leave the Purina.

Leslie

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raven perfers the Nutro natural choice indoor kitten dry food too. She is just not interested in wet food at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of mine love wet cat food, but I'm just afraid that they only love the junk wet cat food and won't give the Nutro a fair chance.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

Both of mine love wet cat food, but I'm just afraid that they only love the junk wet cat food and won't give the Nutro a fair chance.
Unfortunately the foods that a particular cat will eat or not eat is very specific to that cat. One cat may dive into Nutro like it as ambrosia while another won't touch it. With one of my cats, so far, I haven't found *anything* she won't eat. For the other 3 I have to date tried 114 different wet foods and have yet to find any they will eat consistently.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

which wet food all will eat is a shot in the dark most of the time ... I used to rotate 10 different brands for Kandie... Zoey on the other hand is not a wet girl and will only eat a couple of cans by three brands

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to the Nutro Natural pouches? Those are only $0.50 right now at my PetSmart ($0.55 at PetCo) and my cat loves them. She didn't like the Nutro Natural Indoor Cans but she likes the pouches.

My kitten prefers the Nutro Max pouches to the Nutro Natural pouches, so you may have better luck with the Nutro Max cans.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of trying the pouches, but those have the gravy in them right? Does that have the wheat gluten in them that the Friskies has?

I am definitely going to give the Nutro Max a try. That might be a little tastier for them.

I did trick them into eating the canned by mixing it up with warm water so the texture wasn't quite as gummy and mixing it with the dry food. They ate some of it, but man are they smart and I think they soon figured out that it was still the same cat food. Aura (the kitten) kept looking up at me as if to say "are you sure this isn't the yucky canned food you keep trying to make me eat"

Now I know why a lot of pet owners just throw down a can of junky cat food. Its easy... like going to McDonald's and getting your kid a BigMac. Of course they will eat it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

I was thinking of trying the pouches, but those have the gravy in them right? Does that have the wheat gluten in them that the Friskies has?

I am definitely going to give the Nutro Max a try. That might be a little tastier for them.

I did trick them into eating the canned by mixing it up with warm water so the texture wasn't quite as gummy and mixing it with the dry food. They ate some of it, but man are they smart and I think they soon figured out that it was still the same cat food. Aura (the kitten) kept looking up at me as if to say "are you sure this isn't the yucky canned food you keep trying to make me eat"

Now I know why a lot of pet owners just throw down a can of junky cat food. Its easy... like going to McDonald's and getting your kid a BigMac. Of course they will eat it.
Yes the max and natural choice pouches have some wheat gluten , why mine dont eat them due to allergies

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update.

We tried the Nutro Max Gourmet Classics... Chicken dinner and Turkey and Giblets.

They both seem to like the chicken, my boy liked the turkey, but my girl didn't.

And I'm using the word "like" loosely. They eat it as soon as I put it down, but they don't eat all of it.

So I guess it's on to try maybe a different brand of wet food.

The Nutro Dry is a huge hit. This is actually pretty funny since I always put out Purina One or Pro Plan before and there was always dry left over in the bowl. Now I can't even find any kibble left anywhere near their bowl. Even on the floor! I used to constantly pick up kibble from the floor cause my boy doesn't believe in eating from the bowl. He picks it up in his mouth and drops it on the floor.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that just because the pouches have wheat gluten in them doesn't mean they aren't worth trying. Wheat gluten was a problem because of the pet food issues from earlier in the year. It's also an allergy for many cats, but if your cat doesn't have any issues with it then I don't see why there's any reason to avoid foods with wheat gluten in them. (At least, as far as I know).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats sure have different tastes. Nabu and Stimpy are eating a mix of Natural Balance Ultra, Nutro Max Hairball (Lobster) and Nutro Max Adult (Roasted Chicken) kibbles. They get Fancy Feast and Friskies for wet because those are what they will eat.

Raven is a special case. He's pretty ill right now, so he's getting Friskies Signature Blend & Meow Mix Original Choice dry foods. I have a few other "junky" foods to tempt him with too. Those aren't left out free choice because I don't want the other 2 eating that. He sometimes snacks on the mix I have out for the other 2. His taste in wet food has varied a lot lately. One day he likes Whiskas pouches, the next Whiskas tubs from Petsmart, sometimes FF or FF Medleys, and Friskies wet. Oh and Sheba tubs sometimes. We just go with the flow for Raven.

The last time we tried Nutro wet the guys weren't impressed.
That can change at any moment though.
Have you tried Natural Balance wet? My cats like that one better than Nutro.

hoganshero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this or not because I don't feel like reading all of the other posts... lol. But you may want to try the Nutro wet food pouches. They have chunks of food instead of ground up food and my cats LOVE IT to bits.
Just a suggestion. Sorry if it's already been said.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are eating the Nutro Max canned Chicken and Liver... the little snots.

They turned their noses up at if for 3 days and now they love it. I swear they do that on purpose.

I've been feeding the kitten the kitten formula and my boy adult formula.

Now if I could just get them to stop eating each others. They like to switch bowls in the middle of eating.

I did try putting hers up where he can't get to it, but then she thinks that she is being left out and jumps down and tries to eat his. Oh well... at least they are eating food that is good for them now.