Smarter, boys or girls?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently installed a cat door and tried to get my cats to use it, my two male kittens figured out how to use it immediately, 3 days for my 2 year old boy, and my 2 year old girl finally figured it out today, it has been 2 weeks. And they all love to go into the yard, especially my girl. Is that definitive proof that boys are smarter then girls?

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

I recently installed a cat door and tried to get my cats to use it, my two male kittens figured out how to use it immediately, 3 days for my 2 year old boy, and my 2 year old girl finally figured it out today, it has been 2 weeks. And they all love to go into the yard, especially my girl. Is that definitive proof that boys are smarter the girls or what
Contreversial.....

As a very biased cat worshipper,would say neither are smarter,they are all highly intelligent in their own way.

Perhaps the girl kit was expecting their human to open it for them,and gave up waiting in the end?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you might be right, she is the queen of the castle. Long live the Queen!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah it just sais stuff about your individual cats. I know of people with somewhat slow male cats and really sharp and quick to figure things out females so it's just individual variations between cats.

I've got a very clever girl kitty, she's actually quite a lot of work to live with sometimes because she's pretty good at outwitting me.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think it depends on the cat.
One of my Girls is as smart as a whip, the other one not so much.
Our male is a sweet boy, but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
But we love them all the same.

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha I love this thread. My girly kitty can only be described as 'simple' and thats probably being kind about her
Not the smartest cat by a long shot. My male is much more 'aware', but Im not sure I'd call him clever because he has too much instinct and not enough common sense sometimes. I'll have to get a third cat to see if I can get a clever one....

I have to say though, a simple cat is a lot funnier to watch!

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl might be the smartest of my bunch. She is the only cat I have that has ME trained. She decides when it is time for petting and SHE decides where (location in the house) I am allowed to pet her. She commonly takes me in a couple circles around the house before she will settle down on the bed or her favorite chair to "allow" me to pet her.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For our kitty family - it depends on the cat. We have a male & a female that look like they are in the clouds all the time. Like "I just a happy cat" type of look. We have one really intelligent girly named Sliver. She just has this look in her eyes like she knows what is going on.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hands down the girls!!!

Just kidding. It really is an individual thing

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's really an individual thing, just as personality traits seem to be. I've had all kinds, both sexes.

What I can't figure out is that I can look at a dozen kittens, and the one I pick out will always be a boy. This is at an age when it's hard to tell!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MowWuck

As a very biased cat worshipper,would say neither are smarter,they are all highly intelligent in their own way.

Perhaps the girl kit was expecting their human to open it for them,and gave up waiting in the end?
I totally agree. My girl Scarlett would not stoop to pushing open a cat flap. She has me trained.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every girl cat I ever had was Queen of the castle and would not be subjected to manual labor like opening a door! LOL

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different sorts of smarts.

Tiny probably has a lower kitty IQ than Baby; he can't figure out mechanisms, open things, solve puzzles, etc., as well as she can. However, he's much better at hunting--he can bring down anything; he has an amazing amount of patience. Baby just kind of runs after things with reckless, kitten-like abandon--but when it comes to figuring out how to get into the cat food box, the cupboards, or any other space, Baby is amazing. She has fast paws, too, and is wonderful at manipulating objects. She has been known to drag the spoon out of a bowl of mashed potatoes and run away with it to lick off the potatoes... that takes quite a bit of cunning, since she was grabbing onto the end of the spoon that didn't have potatoes on it, knowing that the other end did, and would come with the end she was holding...

Given that Tiny survived (I think) six months on his own in the 'wild', and Baby was skinny from just a few months of neglect as an indoor/outdoor cat, Tiny is definitely the better predator of the two. He's wary, cautious, observant... but Baby has more of a human-style intelligence.

I don't think it has much to do with their genders, though. Cats are just individuals.