Poor Rocket....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our pet rat Rocket isn't feeling well. We just got him about 3 weeks ago? and tonight he's not doing good. I think he has an URI

He's not as active as he usually is and he's breathing a little hard. I called our vet tonight and she said to bring him in tomorrow morning but there isn't much they can do for baby rats. I know they are delicate and most people don't look at them as pets but we've grown quite attached to him.

The vet said that when they get them it's not unusual for them to pass away from him.
Can you guys send some vibes for baby Rocket?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes headed his way! Ask the vet about prednisone or doxycycline in very small doses for him.

Also- what are you feeding him?

What litter are you using? If you're using pine litter -stop immedately- you really should switch to a bedding/litter like this. Pine can cause respiratory issues in some small animals. I found out the hard way with my rabbit, Sophie. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

If you're vet mainly focuses on cats/dogs- you may want to call around and find a recommendation for a vet that specializes primarily in small animals such as rats, ferrets, rabbits/etc- ask how many surgeries they preform on these animals monthly, what anitbiotics they use, what sedation,what meds/etc (many things you give to a cat/dog a small animal should not have). Your vet may be wonderful as far as cats/dogs go- but might not be the best for small animals- then again she may be in your area. Just research a little!
Good luck! Lots of vibes headed his way!

At his age there may not be a ton they can give him- but there certainly are a few things they could try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Lots of vibes headed his way! Ask the vet about prednisone or doxycycline in very small doses for him.

Also- what are you feeding him?

What litter are you using? If you're using pine litter -stop immedately- you really should switch to a bedding/litter like this. Pine can cause respiratory issues in some small animals. I found out the hard way with my rabbit, Sophie. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1

If you're vet mainly focuses on cats/dogs- you may want to call around and find a recommendation for a vet that specializes primarily in small animals such as rats, ferrets, rabbits/etc- ask how many surgeries they preform on these animals monthly, what anitbiotics they use, what sedation,what meds/etc (many things you give to a cat/dog a small animal should not have). Your vet may be wonderful as far as cats/dogs go- but might not be the best for small animals- then again she may be in your area. Just research a little!
Good luck! Lots of vibes headed his way!

At his age there may not be a ton they can give him- but there certainly are a few things they could try!
Thanks Nikki. I am switiching to the carefresh tomorrow. I have just newspaper in there right now. The vet mentioned the pine might be a problem so that's the first thing I did
My vet specializes in all animals except reptiles
I just hope he makes it

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Thanks Nikki. I am switiching to the carefresh tomorrow. I have just newspaper in there right now. The vet mentioned the pine might be a problem so that's the first thing I did
My vet specializes in all animals except reptiles
I just hope he makes it
You're welcome!
Keep your chin up- he may wind up being fine, he's just got to get past the next few days- they're the most important! Stay positive
Hopefully tomorrow your vet can figure out something to help him feel better! He is a bit young and he's got a big battle ahead of him if the URI is bad- but nothing's impossible- he may just suprise you and bounce back!

Where did you get Rocket from? If he's from a pet store- that may be your culprit- he could have been exposed to things from the other animals there, not to mention many pet stores buy their rats from small animal mills which are basically the equivalent of puppy mills- they're breeding for money (many people buy them as feeders), not for genetics, good health, etc many times (hopefully that's not the case here- but it could explaine the illness at such a young age.) Also- because he is pretty young, his immune system isn't quite fully developed yet- so he can catch things more easily than an adult rodent and it may take him a little longer to bounce back. Sometimes the stress of being moved into a new environment (such as pet store to new home) can trigger stress and stress can result in UTI issues sometimes. There's nothing you've done to hurt him- things just happen sometimes!
You're going everything you can for him now- so keep your chin up!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

You're welcome!
Keep your chin up- he may wind up being fine, he's just got to get past the next few days- they're the most important! Stay positive
Hopefully tomorrow your vet can figure out something to help him feel better! He is a bit young and he's got a big battle ahead of him if the URI is bad- but nothing's impossible- he may just suprise you and bounce back!

Where did you get Rocket from? If he's from a pet store- that may be your culprit- he could have been exposed to things from the other animals there, not to mention many pet stores buy their rats from small animal mills which are basically the equivalent of puppy mills- they're breeding for money (many people buy them as feeders), not for genetics, good health, etc many times (hopefully that's not the case here- but it could explaine the illness at such a young age.) Also- because he is pretty young, his immune system isn't quite fully developed yet- so he can catch things more easily than an adult rodent and it may take him a little longer to bounce back. Sometimes the stress of being moved into a new environment (such as pet store to new home) can trigger stress and stress can result in UTI issues sometimes. There's nothing you've done to hurt him- things just happen sometimes!
You're going everything you can for him now- so keep your chin up!
I did get him from a pet store. He was in with about 8 other rats. He's about 3 months old and was being sold as a feeder.
He's just the sweetest thing too!
He likes to sit on my shoulder as I walk around the house or hang out in the hood of my sweatshirt and sleep

When I picked him out, he crawled up my arm and started to clean himself on my shoulder

G

ghostuser

My pet store ratty came with a URI. She was such a tiny little thing back then. But the vet treated her with antibiotics, and she was just fine. He never mentioned anything about it being dangerous. I wonder why yours seems to think it is?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

My pet store ratty came with a URI. She was such a tiny little thing back then. But the vet treated her with antibiotics, and she was just fine. He never mentioned anything about it being dangerous. I wonder why yours seems to think it is?
Maybe because he's so young?
I've been checking on him every 20 mins or so.
He's drinking water but I haven't seen him eat... he has pooped so I guess that's good lol. I just feel so bad for him. He's so sweet!

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pet shops rats aren't always the worst off in own experience-the group of pet shop bucks am had,were the oldest surviving rats,have ever had,they had myco attacks so had their fair share of baytril,but two of them died from cancer,the other of very old age.

Dixie_Darlin,
if his breathing is still bad,make a 'steam room',this can help ratties breathe a little easier,bathroom is best place for this,it helped all of own boys with breathing difficulties,but wasn't a cure,not long after leaving they would be rasping harder again,still worth it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gone........

Something told me about 10 mins ago to get up and check on him.
He stopped breathing.
I feel so bad now ya'll. I should have stayed up and watched him! I feel like this is my fault.
He was just a baby and I wanted so much to give him a better life then to be a meal for something.
I am so upset

Breath well over the RB baby Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.