my cathouse webcam

bszaronos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I put a webcam in my cat house. www.snarz.com click on the cathouse webcam link.

A bit of history.

We found a baby kitten that was left on our steps. We left her alone to see if the mom would come back. She never did, and the poor kitten was screaming her head off. So we brought her inside and took her to the vet. She was only 3 weeks old. We feed her and took good care of her. We never saw any other cats at all. Then 2 weeks later we found the mother and two black kittens living under our shed. I built a small house for them out of an old microwave stand. But i didn't like that. So went and bought all kinds of wood and built them a proper home. It has multiple layers, slanted shingled roof, and an overhang so that they can sit outside and not get wet. I put a web cam inside that shows the sleeping area. The mom and her two kittens enjoy it. I feed them and talk to them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Thank you for your kindness and caring in helping this little family -- unfortunately I couldn't view the cathouse cam but am sending out best thoughts for their continued safety and good care. Sure do hope you can contact http://www.pets911.com or http://www.bestfriends.org or http://www.spayusa.com or another resource and get them all spayed/neutered and baseline innoculations via low-cost or no-cost, and find them good, loving homes. Do keep us updated, won't you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bszaronos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again,

Sorry the webcam stopped at 8pm. I reset it now.
You can also see pictures of kittens if you look in the snarz blog.
I haven't taken any pictures of the new cat house yet. So the pictures are still of the old one.

Thanks everyone.

bszaronos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night was cold, so I was wondering if I should get an electric blanket and put it under the cat's pillow. I thought that I would run the extension cord into the house so that I could turn it on and off when I wanted. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I figure if it is under their pillow and on low it wouldn't get too hot for them.

Any advice ?
Thanks

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a fantastic cat house! It looks very cosy inside, and that lattice fence gives them their own little yard to hang out in. Mama cat was very lucky to find you.
I don't know about the electric blanket idea, especially with kittens. I'd be worried about them chewing the cord, or the wood getting overheated and catching fire.

bszaronos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks for view my webcam. If you look in the blog section you can see some pictures of tabbie, the kitten we rescued.

I feed them twice a day, the mom will actually wait for me. If i start running late she will look through the lattice into the kitchen windows. She actually sits there and lets me put her food and water down. I have laid the food down on the other side of the lattice and I can lay down directly on the other side. She looks a little cautious, but after eating doesn't run away.

One of the black kittens will play with my fingers, but the black ones don't come out that much when I am there. So usually I put their food out and I will go inside to let them come out and eat.

The cat house is pretty big, the webcam is just pointing at the wool pillow.
As you can see from the blog pictures, this is a shelf sitting off of the ground. There is also a second smaller shelf inside. So there is plenty of space inside. I have seen the kittens playing with their cat toys inside. Eventually I will put some more camera's inside so I can catch everything.
They are also starting to roam around a lot more. They like to sit on top of the cat house and also roam around the deck.

Well thanks again everyone

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That catcam is so cool! I can see a white cat with spots and two black kitties all sleeping. They're all so cute

One minute later - they're waking up now and looking at the camera!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bszaronos

Last night was cold, so I was wondering if I should get an electric blanket and put it under the cat's pillow. I thought that I would run the extension cord into the house so that I could turn it on and off when I wanted. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I figure if it is under their pillow and on low it wouldn't get too hot for them.

Any advice ?
Thanks
A safer alternative would be to put the pillow, topped with a down or down-alternative jacket, into a cardboard box with an entrance hole. If it's not that cold, then just do the same, but with a box tipped on it's side, or use a laundry basket. That heats up quickly and the cats will be snuggly warm. And it's easy to clean, too - just do your down items in the washer, and put several tennis balls into the dryer, so they dry fluffy, without the down matting up.
( I used to run a laundromat, and the drycleaners would have me clean the down sleeping bags for $10 and charge their customers $29
).
Bless you for all that you have done for those special kitties. You're a true cat-hero

prettyboy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness that webcam is so cool !!

i could not find anyplace to click on pictures of the outside of the cat
house but its just hard to read the lettering on the website. its probably
there and i can't see it.

they look so comfortable on that big pillow ! i would love to see the outside too.

the only suggestion i would make, and Not if you are using any electric in or
near the cat house, would be to get some STRAW (not hay) and put some
inside on top of the pillow. it will serve two purposes. IF they are wet with
snow they can lay on top of the straw and not lay on something wet
because if they come in from the rain or snow and then lay down or sit
on the pillow they are making the pillow wet and will have no dry spots to
lay in. AND when its really cold out they burrow themselves into the straw
and it helps keep them warm. IF they don't like the straw the could always
push it away. BUT if you do that now that its already cold out and alot
of cats don't like something new, you might want to do it earlier in the
day on a day the sun it out and to start out with ONLY put a little bit in
one corner so they all can get used to it and then you can watch them
on the cam to see if they are okay with it and then the next week if they
seem to be okay with it add more and then the week after more but only
if you see they are continuing to use the cat house. you don't want to
spook them. IF they don't want to use the cat house because of the
straw then maybe since its already cold out you should remove it.

good luck and maybe you will be able to tame and adopt out those three too.

i love that you have a cat cam. that is so much fun !