why does she do this??

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

my girl Raven likes being brushed, but when i am brushing her, she will walk away, and then expect me to follow after to her to keep brushing her.

sometimes my boy Sheldon will do this too.

why do they do this?
both of them will roll over and want their bellies brushed or rubbed, and they love having their cheeks rubbed

but it almost seems like they are "playing hard to get" when i am brushing them

i'd like to be able to sit in one spot and not have to keep crawling over to where they've gone to.

or maybe they move away just to see me crawl on my hands and knees to reach them?

cats have done stranger things!!
any insight into why they do this?

anyone else have a cat who does this too?

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

my girl Raven likes being brushed, but when i am brushing her, she will walk away, and then expect me to follow after to her to keep brushing her.

sometimes my boy Sheldon will do this too.

why do they do this?
both of them will roll over and want their bellies brushed or rubbed, and they love having their cheeks rubbed

but it almost seems like they are "playing hard to get" when i am brushing them

i'd like to be able to sit in one spot and not have to keep crawling over to where they've gone to.

or maybe they move away just to see me crawl on my hands and knees to reach them?

cats have done stranger things!!
any insight into why they do this?

anyone else have a cat who does this too?
Cats senses are very strong overall,this includes touch [tactile].
The problem with Raven and Sheldon could be tactile sensitivity related,and they are walking away due to over stimulation from the brushing.
Try building up brushing slowly,start lightly,and only a few strokes-build it up at their choice,don't rush them-see if that helps.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boys get a treat after a grooming session, so they like to stick around until the end.

It is, however, quite stimulating, so that might be, as MowWuck pointed out, why they are walking away.

Another trick I use is to start from the tail and work towards the face. That's their favorite part, and they will stick around for that, too.