Question about mailing out SS packages!! Can someone help?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I have a quick question about mailing out my SS package! I have all of my gifts wrapped and ready to go, the only thing i need is a box!!! Do I have to purchase one from the post office or can i use one from around the house? Anyone know??? Thanks!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use one from your house or from the post office. Just be sure that the addresses are clear and visable. Use a piece of paper to write/type them up and tape them on the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

You can use one from your house or from the post office. Just be sure that the addresses are clear and visable. Use a piece of paper to write/type them up and tape them on the box.
Thankyou Kenzie!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also buy big cardboard boxes to put together at WalMart for like $3.00. All you have to do is tape them together.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use one at home if you have it. I would make sure to cross out any labels that may still be on it from another company if you had it shipped to you. It's cheaper than going out and buying one. Just make sure the addresses are visible where you are sending to.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, make sure you put the to and from addresses on the top, one side and bottom of the box. That helps the post office sort the parcel easier because they aren't having to search for the addressed side.

Also a trick that I use for the address is to put some packing tape over them so that they are water proof. Nothing like having an address smudge to the point that it can't be read and the box goes missing.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't use masking tape or "wrap" the box as the post office wants a plain box. Also put a sheet of paper inside with your return address in case the box is damaged.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

You can also buy big cardboard boxes to put together at WalMart for like $3.00. All you have to do is tape them together.
Originally Posted by Duchess15

You can use one at home if you have it. I would make sure to cross out any labels that may still be on it from another company if you had it shipped to you. It's cheaper than going out and buying one. Just make sure the addresses are visible where you are sending to.
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Also, make sure you put the to and from addresses on the top, one side and bottom of the box. That helps the post office sort the parcel easier because they aren't having to search for the addressed side.

Also a trick that I use for the address is to put some packing tape over them so that they are water proof. Nothing like having an address smudge to the point that it can't be read and the box goes missing.
Originally Posted by GailC

Just don't use masking tape or "wrap" the box as the post office wants a plain box. Also put a sheet of paper inside with your return address in case the box is damaged.
Thanks everyone!!!
Those are all very helpful tips! I will definitely be using them when i get ready to mail out my parcal!!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another tip and it's a biggie.

If you use boxes from around the house they can't be boxes that contained any sort of chemicals, alcohol or other "hazardous materials." If the box has warning label on it then don't use it. The USPS won't allow it into the mail stream (at least we aren't supposed to) and it will be returned to you. Blacking out the warning label won't make it okay to use either. You're better off using a plain box.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Another tip and it's a biggie.

If you use boxes from around the house they can't be boxes that contained any sort of chemicals, alcohol or other "hazardous materials." If the box has warning label on it then don't use it. The USPS won't allow it into the mail stream (at least we aren't supposed to) and it will be returned to you. Blacking out the warning label won't make it okay to use either. You're better off using a plain box.
Thankyou Bryan!
I don't think we have any hazardous materials boxes in the house, but then again ya never know with Colin
(j/k!
) I will take your tip and use just a plain box! (is it ok to reuse one that's already had stuff mailed in it?)

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou Bryan!
I don't think we have any hazardous materials boxes in the house, but then again ya never know with Colin
(j/k!
) I will take your tip and use just a plain box! (is it ok to reuse one that's already had stuff mailed in it?)
You're welcome.
Yeah, it should be. As long as the box is in good condition and the previous addresses aren't showing through. A clerk at a station can give you better answers than I can. I'm in a different employee craft but we had a class about this last year or the year before.

There is a limited amount of hazmat that is allowed to shipped through the post office but there are special precautions that are taken with it and it's not allowed in the general mail stream.