Agression towards people and other pets.

lolabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I recently brought home a new cat. I already have a cat so I expect some bickering between the two.
But, my new cat (Presley) is showing aggressive behavior to people and my other pets (rats). I was watching him to see what he would do when he went to investigate and he tried getting his hand in their cage.
He will be fine one minute and let you pet him and go near him and then he will randomly hiss and growl and swipe at you with his ears back. He attacked my hand yesterday.
He also showed aggressive behavior towards guests I had at the house.

I brought him home from the clinic on a two week trial. I would feel awful sending him back, but I refuse to endanger the lives of my rats and I don't want this behavior to continue. I don't trust this cat. I am an Animal Science major so I know basic behavioral modification, but I am in class Monday - Friday 9-5.

I am not one to "give up" with my animals and when I get an animal it is for life. But, where do you draw the line?

Any advice or opinions on what I should do?

Thank you!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that showing "aggression" towards rats is perfectly normal in a cat. They are predators after all and hunt and kill things including rats, small birds, mice and I even know of a cat that got a pigeon and a small seagull.

He's in a new place and sounds scared with the hissing and growling. If you're going to keep him I would just give him time. Learn the signs of when he's had enough petting and quit before he starts to get aggressive.

Petting aggressing is known in cats and usually has to do with insecurities. I.e the on a deep level the cat's survival instinct is telling him that it's not a good idea to be so much in the power of a larger mammal like he is when he's being petted, on the other hand he enjoys the petting so it's a push-pull situation. Letting him trust you by figuring out when he's about to become uncomfortable and stopping the petting is a good way forward then.

As for aggression to your guests, was it the same thing, petting? Or was it play aggression? Cats are very rarely violently aggressive towards humans, it's usually either play (can be play that's out of hand though, especially in bored indoor cats) or the petting aggression type of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

My guests were sitting on the couch and he was on the couch as well and he started the growling hissing stuff. He will do it to myself as well even if Im just walking by him...

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trust is a fragile commodity. He is a fearful cat, and is possibly not the best choice for someone who keeps rats

He's looking for ways to be reassured. If the rats are in a secure place where he can't get at them (which I would assume you would ensure) then his aggression will abate after he feels more comfortable in your home.

Why did you pick this particular cat? What about him drew you, and does it still?

I agree that the time to think about choices is sooner rather than later. But he does need rehabilitation. If you can commit to it, he would probably be a wonderful cat. But if you truly cannot give him what he needs, talk to the shelter about your misgivings. They don't want him in a home where he's going to be trouble, because that means trouble for him.

My own cat, Myron, was the reincarnation of Ghandi. The other cats would watch the hamster cage with hungry eyes. Run, hamsters, run! Myron would rub his face on the cage. I love you, hamsters.

If you are used to your own cat leaving the rats alone, be aware that this is highly unusual behavior for a cat. It might not be easy to find another with these qualities.

I have written about curing aggressive cats here:

http://wayofcats.blogspot.com/2007/1...sive-cats.html

If you can't give him what he needs, then it might not work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!

My resident cat doesn't bother with my rats at all and I trust him completely with them.
Unfortunately I live in a bachelor apartment so I can't put my rats or the cat in another room.

I took him home because I felt really bad for him, Im a big softie. Someone dropped him and two others off at the local vet clinic and he was there for a week. The clinic isn't supposed to keep them past a week. He was actually quite nice when I spent time with him at the clinic...

Im leaning towards sending him back. I feel really guilty about this, but I have to put my other animals first.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he has an unknown history and he's behaving as he is I'd expect he's had some bad experiences with people and needs to learn to trust people again.

The way to do that is to initially (it can take quite a while, several months even) just leave him alone. I.e don't seek him out to give him attention, let him feel safe in the environment first and then let him come to you. If he wants to be hiding under the bed or just sit somewhere and be left alone, let him do that.

How is he and your other cat getting along?

Anyway with your rats you really lucked out with your first cat having him be a cat that doesn't seem to have a high "I must kill small fluffy things that move!" instinct. I doubt you'll be able to find a second cat that shares that with your resident cat.

My cat for example has a very high hunting instinct so I've given up on the idea of having her and rats or pet birds even though I adore both, simply because it wouldn't be safe. The cat isn't doing anything wrong there, they're just being a cat and you can't really train cats to not be cats.

However having said that my cat spend ages trying to get my fish when she was younger but now she's bored with it and leaves the fish alone almost all the time (there's a small hole in the cover where she can stick her paw through, she used to spend ages "fishing"). The fishtank has moved from being interesting into being just furniture for her now so your new cat may adapt.

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lolabelle

Hi

I recently brought home a new cat. I already have a cat so I expect some bickering between the two.
But, my new cat (Presley) is showing aggressive behavior to people and my other pets (rats). I was watching him to see what he would do when he went to investigate and he tried getting his hand in their cage.
He will be fine one minute and let you pet him and go near him and then he will randomly hiss and growl and swipe at you with his ears back. He attacked my hand yesterday.
He also showed aggressive behavior towards guests I had at the house.

I brought him home from the clinic on a two week trial. I would feel awful sending him back, but I refuse to endanger the lives of my rats and I don't want this behavior to continue. I don't trust this cat. I am an Animal Science major so I know basic behavioral modification, but I am in class Monday - Friday 9-5.

I am not one to "give up" with my animals and when I get an animal it is for life. But, where do you draw the line?

Any advice or opinions on what I should do?

Thank you!
If anything it's likely Presley would end up bitten from the rats,if they catch his scent around and see his body invading their space they might attack him-ratties in 'fight or flight' mode are fast and brutal,Samianther [cat] had the tip of her ear bit off by a very quiet and calm himalayan buck when
she stuck her head onto the wide..ish bars of the FK,she would have been too dozy to have even thought about killing one but is very curious.

It sounds like he just needs a lot more time to get used to the situation-to people,other cats,rats,scents,sights etc.
Perhaps the other humans he comes into contact have all different scents he's completely unfamiliar with,and he doesn't know how to react? especially if they have other cat scents on,these can be immediate onguard setoffs.
It could be misplaced agression,something else is setting him off [such as the other cat just for example]-and it's those who are nearest that unfortunately end up on the recieving end of his aggression.

Also,if do have to give him back,don't think are bad for doing so,just like humans will not match well with every other human-they don't match well with every cat either.

It will take a while for him to become a regular cat,but he will likely get there with the support and understanding.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is a cat. Cats hunt. They hunt mice, rats, and birds.
It's a natural predatory instinct, it's to be expected.
In fact some people would get cats because they hunt mice and rats. Haven't you ever heard of a "mouser?" That's what I like about my cats-since I got them I have no mice in my apartment.
Even though I don't think my cats could even hunt, I think the mice knows there are in here.
I have pet birds by the way. I don't trust the cats with the birds.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please, give him more than 2 weeks. Lord knows what he's been through....and we know he's been through 2 "homes" now in a very short time. Has he had a full vet check? Sometimes, aggression is a cats way of showing pain. He may look healthy to you, but really be hurting.

Trials take months....I'd give him a good 6 months or so to see how he settles.

Second....there are things to try. You are in behavior modification....what about meds? My Ophelia attacks humans/other animals....she's been on Buspar & doing well. In fact, rubbing her bum in my face right now wanting to be petted.

The cat going after the rats is normal, as others have said....he could well have had to fight for his meals....and well....the rats counterparts could've been the meals!