Slipping knee caps

cutie mcwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

i was wondering if anyone could help me, yesterday we found out that one of our cats, heidi, has a problem with her knee caps on both back legs. we noticed she had a problem when she jumped off the bed and we could hear her crying so i got up and she was lay on her side on the floor and when she tried to stand she couldn't put any weight on her back legs, i sat with her trying to calm her down for a couple of minutes, as she was quite stressed, then she just got up and walked to her beany bed as if nothing had happened. the vet said her knee caps had slipped out of place temporarily and that it is a defect she was born with. she said to see how she gets on and if it gets worse that there is an operation she could have so i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

since we got back from the vets it's happened 3 more times, twice yesterday and once this morning so i'm going to ring the vets when they open tomorrow because i don't know whether this is normal for a cat with this condition or if she'll need surgery so any help and advice would be much appreciated

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know luxating patella is common in toy dog breeds and that the surgery is usually quite successful, but I have never heard of it afflicting cats before.

Trying Googling Luxating Patella and see if you can find some info that way.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with the same problem. Our vet also told us about the surgery and that it will cost over $500. He gave us Cosequin to give him daily and showed us how to put the petellas back in place so when they slipped I was able to put them back. The cosequin really helped. He hasnt had a problem since July. How old is your cat? Our vet said that if he had to do surgery it would have to wait untill he stopped growing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutie mcwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the reply april,

heidi's 3yrs old.

i'll mention cosequin to the vet when i speak to them tomorrow and i'll ask them to show me how to put the petellas back aswell. normally the vets are really good and give you loads of info but it was a different vet we saw yesterday.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lily has Luxating Patellas. My vet said the surgery is tough sometimes in cats because of weight issues, but they recover well. Lily isn't a candidate for surgery though, she isn't very bad at all.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My toy pom Sophie has kneecap problems, I have taken her to three different vets, none of them recommend surgery, one did show my how and where to gently rub, and her kneecaps go back in place, last winter she slipped and one was quite sore, so after I put it in place I iced it for a while, It is probably easier with a dog, I try to keep her from jumping up on things.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a kitty with this, both hind legs. He seem to get a little better as he got older. The vet said the surgery is the same as for dogs, but it a little harder on the cats to recover from.

Moe didn't get the surgery, he always walked funny, but he ran and climbed like a wild monkey. He actually used to jump up to the ladder on the back of the RV then climb it to the rood. When he was done running around up there, he would climb back down.

It didn't slow him down at all. However if you kitty is showing pain from it something needs to be tried. At three years old, I don't think she is going to grow out of it anymore.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old just had surgery 7 weeks ago for this. He's no where close to done growing. Our vet referred us to an orthopedic surgeon as they are much more experienced with this type of thing. She recomended the surgery as soon as possible even though he is so young to prevent arthritis from setting in. He was limping really badly and it was not improving with rest and glucosamine. He had one leg done as he is ony a grade I in the other leg but may need it done sometime down the road if it gets worse. The surgery was very expensive but it was worth it. He had to spend 4 weeks in a cage and 2 weeks in room confinment but he is out running around and playing with the other kitties again. He still has a limp but his leg is getting stronger every day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jencat

My 10 month old maine coon just had surgery 7 weeks ago for this. He's doing really well. He was limping really badly and it was not improving with rest and glucosamine. He only had to have one leg done but may need the other done sometime down the road. He saw a orthopedic surgeon. The surgery was very expensive but it was worth it. He had to spend 4 weeks in a cage and 2 weeks in room confinment but he is out running around and playing with the other kitties again. He still has a limp but his leg is getting stronger every day.
that is WAY to young for major problems,hope kitty doesnt need the other done