Snake Cake

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No not a cake made from snakes.

I am making my nephew a cake shaped like a snake for his birthday. I was going to cover it with fondant and paint the colors on. Has anyone here painted on Fondant? I have covered cakes with it and used it for decorating (flowers, bows etc.) but never painted on it. I want to try but I'm thinking his cake may not be the best time for experimentation.

I may just frost it and use icing to decorate it (it's going to be a corn snake - or as close as I can get).

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't say how old nephew is, but most boys just want cake with frosting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

You didn't say how old nephew is, but most boys just want cake with frosting.
He's 11. That's a good point, I didn't even think of that. I'll just frost it and decorate it (that way it will have even more frosting
). Plus it'll be less work for me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I once painted my radio station's logo on a cake for the AM side's 30th anniversary! It wasn't hard to do, but... I think plain ol' frosting in colors would be prettier! And you could do accents with little sugar decor pieces, too... be sure to post a picture for us!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abacat

No not a cake made from snakes.

I am making my nephew a cake shaped like a snake for his birthday. I was going to cover it with fondant and paint the colors on. Has anyone here painted on Fondant? I have covered cakes with it and used it for decorating (flowers, bows etc.) but never painted on it. I want to try but I'm thinking his cake may not be the best time for experimentation.

I may just frost it and use icing to decorate it (it's going to be a corn snake - or as close as I can get).
You scared me

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use buttercream and decorate it since it is for a child. Fondant is not as tasty.

Be sure to post pics when you're done!