Fat Cats

kittytales

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the heaviest domestic cat you've ever met/owned?

The heaviest cat I've seen weighed 23lbs. We recently had someone come in with a 20.5lb siamese, and the owner said he'd already lost SEVEN pounds!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The heaviest one I have had was 31-33lbs (he was 31lbs on his official weigh in but we had him two weeks already and he lost a bit not eating / hiding etc). He is now 20.5lbs and still the heaviest of mine and still overweight

The heaviest healthy cat I have personally seen was 26lbs and Maine Coon (and a beauty)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB boy was 23 pounds at his heaviest, took me over a year to finally get him down to 14-15 pounds and he was still chubby.

Your NFC must me freakishly large for his breed at 37 pounds considering male NFCs should only weigh 20-25 pounds, around the same size as the Maine Coon, and females should be in the 12 to 15 pound range.
I'd love to see pics of him

I have a very petite (runty and poorly nourished as a weanling) female NFC that only weighed 9 pounds at her fatest.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine, my torti- point Colorpoint (they are supposed to be slim cats
) She was 29.7lbs lbs when I adopted her. (pushing 30
-to edit i just pulled her chart and yup- she was almost 30 lbs!
))Her previous owners had allowed her to become inasnely overweight. The vet classified her as morbidly obease. I've seen much worse at the shelter where i work- it is soo cruel to allow an animal to become moribly obease.

Since i've had her- we've had her on good quality food, strict feeding schedules and i've made she she gets plenty of exercise. She is now down around 14lbs i believe. I am actually taking her back to work with me this afternoon to bathe her and microchip her so while she' there i'll weigh her. It's taken a long time to safely help her shed the weight- but she's never looked sooo good!
I've worked hard to try and get her in good shape to avoid health issues/etc.

Also in a side note- because she was soo obease when I adopted her- she can not groom her bottom well (even though she's lots a LOT). When pets are allowed to get overweight -it can cause UTI issues in addition to a plethera of other problems. When they can't clean their bottoms- the fecal matter can get trapped on the fur and enter the urethera area- causing UTI issues. Jasmine recently had a 2 month bout with them a while back and it was soo sad. (keep in mind i clean her every day). She's going good now- but we are strict about keeping her clean. Today she needs a bath though -so that's what we're going to do!

In my opinon- allowing an animal to become obease is just as cruel as starving one - i've seen both sides of the coin at the shelter where i work- both are just as cruel

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had 2 tuxedo cats (both are gone now) and each of them weighed in from 20-22 lbs, altho Puddin' was mostly muscle and Sophie was a chubs. At the moment our Rufus is about that weight range, too; he's not fat and he's not muscle---he's just a good solid mass of cat.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The heaviest I have owned is Max. I don't know his exact weight but he has to weigh around 15-20 pounds and he isn't obese....just a big kitty with muscles. When we had a doxie over he was bigger (by height and weight) than her.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley is my heaviest, at around 17lbs
Not overweight, he's at a healthy weight.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

In my opinon- allowing an animal to become obease is just as cruel as starving one - i've seen both sides of the coin at the shelter where i work- both are just as cruel
I couldn't agree more!
My poor old boy got obese because my ex loved that cat to pieces, and showed his love by feeding him

He never understood how abusive this actually was until poor B.C. suffered three strokes in a year's time.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met Buck the red tabby DSH when he weighed 24 pounds. He had been up to 36 pounds! He was a naturally large cat and other visitors to his garden thought he was a bobcat and were concerned when I sat down and started to pet him. He had been leashed to a little sapling so he wouldn't bother people.

He was a loverboy, too.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he was around 24 lbs. He was a huge cat! An orange cat, he wasn't necessarily fat, just HUGE! He looked like your average DSH cat.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catzrule40

ty arlyn, what breed does the tortie actually belong to???
Torties can belong to many breeds, and most cats are just domestic long/medium/short hairs and are not any breed. Some have breed traits that make them generally bigger cats, like Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats and others.

Links to different breeds can be found here

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I agree, I have seen both sides with the cats I own, and while it is a lot easier to get a starving cat to eat and gain weight than an obese cat to lose weight, the health problems that can arise because of either are horrible.

There is a website out there for people who have obese cats that was once a place to share ideas and stories but more and more is 'look at my cat isn't he/she so cute' when the cat is so obese it can't move and the people don't see the problem. It makes me sad because as cute as the cats are, after getting Scully I know what pain the cat is probably going through.

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyTales

What is the heaviest domestic cat you've ever met/owned?

The heaviest cat I've seen weighed 23lbs. We recently had someone come in with a 20.5lb siamese, and the owner said he'd already lost SEVEN pounds!
Probably a neighbours cat [don't have a picture of him]-he is a massive one eyed tabby boy,have really never seen any cat like him,he's not obese but is a massively framed cat.

And Blackie-
She had cat flu before being found by the cats protection league as a kitten and she developed chronic bronchitis,the meds and steroids she was on made her fat and special diets never helped.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Biggest cat I owned was a 15 lbs Bengal mix. My ex still has him.

The biggest Ive seen was a 25 lbs cat that came into our rescue. He is now still very fat but only weighs 15 lbs. We are working on getting him to loose more weight.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty, Leo, a lovely orange tabby, was 23 lbs. at his biggest. He was not fat, he was just a huge cat. His shoulder was almost up to my knee. He had muscles like a jungle cat. Several people that caame to my house were a little afraid of him until they found out what a lovebug he was.
His vet said he could have even held a little more weight for his frame a build, and not be fat or out of shape. He had some Maine Coon in his ancestry according to the vet. I found him in a parking lot of a Petsmart in Kansas City.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I agree, I have seen both sides with the cats I own, and while it is a lot easier to get a starving cat to eat and gain weight than an obese cat to lose weight, the health problems that can arise because of either are horrible.

There is a website out there for people who have obese cats that was once a place to share ideas and stories but more and more is 'look at my cat isn't he/she so cute' when the cat is so obese it can't move and the people don't see the problem. It makes me sad because as cute as the cats are, after getting Scully I know what pain the cat is probably going through.
very well said

another thing that irritates me is that people just do not research what they are feeding their animals (let alone themselves many times). They feed them the equivalent of junk food and then wonder why they develop health issues. If people would just take a little time and research......many animals would be much better off. I'm sure many people love their animals- but they would get to enjoy soo many more years with them if they took the time to do a simple thing like making sure their food is appropriate for their health needs.