What is Montmorillonite??

_bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been doing lots of research on diet and nutrition and while reading the ingredients list of Natures Variety freeze dried I found Montmorillonite in the list. All I could find about it is that it's a mineral clay like substance.
Why is it in pet food? I mailed Natures Variety but after a week I've received no reply.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by _bella_

I have been doing lots of research on diet and nutrition and while reading the ingredients list of Natures Variety freeze dried I found Montmorillonite in the list. All I could find about it is that it's a mineral clay like substance.
Why is it in pet food? I mailed Natures Variety but after a week I've received no reply.
A while back I wondered the same thing after seeing it listed in some foods. If memory serves it simply adds needed minerals to the diet. It is found in human grade food also.

A quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.airfaresonline.eu/article.cfm/id/181821

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
supposedly it detoxifies... I wonder why some foods have it so high , what is in it that needs so much detoxifing

good article

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

_bella_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Detoxifies? Ok....

thanks for your replies!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, just clay rich in minerals. I saw on Animal Planet where elephants eat dirt simply due to all the rich vitamins and minerals found in the soil. My dogs have been known to graze (kitty is indoor only) but I just don't know about eating clay. The food that uses this clay is really high quality and I have fed it before without any problems. It is very expensive, but I think it is a good food. But to be honest the clay content did make me wonder, here are some links I found to learn more.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/clay2.htm
http://www.i-amperfectlyhealthy.com/simoncohen.html
http://www.thepetalternative.com/Terramin-clay.html

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It might help hold the food together also...especially in the "grain free" type foods... I just wonder if it causes any constipation issues...

Clay is used in some "shakes" at fast food places to help them hold their form...It is also in peptobismol and other similar products.

Art

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According to Wikipedia...

Montmorillonite is also used in animal feeds as an anti-caking agent. Current research indicates that montmorillonite or bentonite has the ability to bind mycotoxins in the digestive system of animals as well as several bacteria in-vitro.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HUMM wonders why use clay when items like pectin do the same job without the risk

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

HUMM wonders why use clay when items like pectin do the same job without the risk
In looking briefly online at bulk pricing...the Montmorillonite is less expensive than pectin.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

In looking briefly online at bulk pricing...the Montmorillonite is less expensive than pectin.
$$ are always involved arent they..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Montmorilonite is also used in premium Koi (fancy carp) foods for improved skin and color.
that I understand as in the wild koi would eat some sand or clay like stuff