Newton, the Best Hamster Ever

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found little Newton dead in his cage today. I knew it was coming; he'd been getting skinnier and losing some of his hair, as old hamsters do; but somehow I still hoped he'd perk up and feel better.

I'm going to miss the little guy. He was a dwarf hamster--the size of a mouse--and he was the only one left in the pet store when my friend bought him for me. I think it was because he bit everyone who tried to handle him; but I just put on rubber gloves, let him do his biting, and fed him little tidbits from my hand. Soon enough he was happy to be picked up.

I remember the way he used to explore his cage after I'd cleaned it; and the way he made that hamster ball spin across the floor so fast it was practically a blur. I remember the rattle of the hamster wheel and the way I'd wake up and hear the tic-tic-tic of him getting a drink from the water bottle. I remember my housemate, who hated rodents, warming up to little Newton--she even called him "kinda cute".

Baby Girl used to sit on top of the stove and watch his cage. He'd come out to get food or run on his wheel, and she'd sit there with an intense expression, as though Newton were the most fascinating thing in the world. Today when Newton wasn't there, she cried. Maybe it was just "My world has changed and I'm confused"; but maybe she really misses her little hamster buddy. I know I do.

RIP, Newton. You'll be missed.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm soo very sorry. I lost my precious black bear hamster about 2 weeks ago.
She was losing almost all her hair and she was losing her motor coordination that I had her PTS. RIP Newton.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry about your hampster! I had to put one down one time. I had her for five years and her name was Cleo. She developed a tumor on her cheak and we fought it tooth and nail. She was only eating yogurt and small pieces of cut up fruits at the end, when she couldn't fit through the tunnel anymore I knew it was time. I held her the whole time. She was the best hampster I ever had. She was litter box trained and all, I let her wander anywhere she wanted. One day she even got mad at me, grabbed a whole potato and ran away, she was gone for like 3 days! I know how hard it is. Ill never forget mine.

Amber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost cried in the pet section at Wal-mart today. Can't believe losing a little hamster can be so sad... but it is.

The bad thing is, he wasn't out in his hamster ball nearly as much as I could've let him, because my apartment hasn't got any doors except on the bathroom and the cats would have chased him; so whenever I wanted to play with Newton I had to put the cats in the bathroom. Now I feel guilty that I didn't give him more time to explore, more interaction; that I had to put his cage on top of the 'fridge instead of next to the computer where it used to be before Baby and Tiny toppled it onto the floor a few months ago... I mean, I know it was a matter of safety, but still...

Hamsters just don't live long enough. It isn't fair.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The little babies just capture your heart, don't they? I'm so very sorry for your loss.

RIP Newton.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I know
Because you can attach yourself to them just as quickly as a kitten
I agree. Mine figured out how to pop the lid off where extra tubes could be placed, got down from the desk (on the very top of my desk) to the tall storage container to the floor. She ended up in the bathroom. She was a smart little girl. I knew I would never get another one after her. I can't go through this each time. I wish they lived longer.