How soon can I buy a fresh Christmas tree (without it spoiling before Christmas)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know when the right time would be to purchase a fresh Christmas tree (so that it isn't dead by the time Christmas gets here?). I am putting up an artificial 7 1/2' tree...but i would LOVE to purchase a small little tree (tabletop size or less - nothing big!) just for the scent/etc.

Does anyone know how soon I could buy a little one without having it spoil by Christmas? Any tips on keeping it fresh? What are the best types?

(any types i should avoid for the furbabies sakes? it will be put up out of their reach- but just in case...anything i shouldn't buy?)

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but if you buy a nice healthy tree early and keep it watered, it will stay fresh a long time.

My family always tended to be late in getting our tree. Usually about the 22-23 we'd finally get it. (My sister and I would be so annoyed by then!). It would usually be a fire hazard by New Year's Day. One year we managed to get it earlier (like about 7-10 days earlier) and it lasted until mid-January!

Tricia

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well you copuld buy a small one with roots and pot it, unless its already in one. Keep it outside and bring it in when ready. You could then put it outside again when finished and it would only grow a small amount by next year, ready to use again. If not then plant it in the garden if you have room.
Oh Merry Christmas in case I forget

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I'm not an expert, but if you buy a nice healthy tree early and keep it watered, it will stay fresh a long time.

My family always tended to be late in getting our tree. Usually about the 22-23 we'd finally get it. (My sister and I would be so annoyed by then!). It would usually be a fire hazard by New Year's Day. One year we managed to get it earlier (like about 7-10 days earlier) and it lasted until mid-January!

Tricia
Thankyou Tricia!

Originally Posted by u8myufo

Well you copuld buy a small one with roots and pot it, unless its already in one. Keep it outside and bring it in when ready. You could then put it outside again when finished and it would only grow a small amount by next year, ready to use again. If not then plant it in the garden if you have room.
Oh Merry Christmas in case I forget
Thankyou! (Merry Christmas early to you as well!
) I like your idea of a potted tree! I will look for one!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
potting a tree and keeping it alive is much more healthier then just cutting down trees for decoration, it gets me so angry each year, seeing all those christmas trees being used and then being thrown out as if they are a waste!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually get our tree from a tree farm, so we know it is very fresh! We usually try to go around the 3rd week in Dec and we dont take it down until New Years. Do a search online of things you can add to the water to keep your tree healthy. I know Mythbusters did a holiday special and tested that last year but I dont remember what was the best! Just dont trust the first site you look!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

(any types i should avoid for the furbabies sakes? it will be put up out of their reach- but just in case...anything i shouldn't buy?)
Just how do manage to keep anything out of your cats reach?? In my house it would have to be hung from the ceiling and the cats would probably STILL try to get at it!

For fresh cut trees, we always put asprin in the tree holder when we watered it and they usually lasted a long time. I've also heard suger water or karo syrup added in the water will help keep it fresh but I haven't tried that.

As far as I know, no pine is toxic to cats, but you may want to look into that. I know poinsettas are though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can go to a flower shop and buy a small pine or spruce in a plant pot. They're quite cute and many patients at work get them as gifts from family members. They should be available now and they last months.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Just how do manage to keep anything out of your cats reach?? In my house it would have to be hung from the ceiling and the cats would probably STILL try to get at it!

For fresh cut trees, we always put asprin in the tree holder when we watered it and they usually lasted a long time. I've also heard suger water or karo syrup added in the water will help keep it fresh but I haven't tried that.

As far as I know, no pine is toxic to cats, but you may want to look into that. I know poinsettas are though.
Actually in the past years they have found that poinsettias arent as toxic as they once believed.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Center in Urbana, Illinois says it regards poinsettias as having such low toxicity risk that it doesn't even recommend decontaminating animals that may have ingested them. The center says that there can sometimes be gastrointestinal distress from having ingested something alien to the digestive system.

The American Veterinary Medicine Association of America (AVMA), doesn't include poinsettias on its list of plants that are a threat to animals.

Because of the belief that poinsettias are toxic, there are numerous visits to hospitals each year by concerned parents or pet owners whose children or pet have ingested or in some other way been exposed to poinsettias.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not lots of christmas trees have been cut for several weeks know. Wisconsin is a large grower of Christmas trees.
We usually go to cut your own places but if that isn't possible you can run your fingers along several branches to see how many needles come off or pick the tree until on repeatedly pick it up on shake the tree hard.
If you get a tree from say Home Depot or Lowes the greater the chances it will have been cut quite a while ago!!
When you bring it home keep in cool as long as possilbe (menaing don't bring it in the house) and recut the stump of the tree as the orginal cut will be sealed and unable to uptake any water.
We don't usually get a tree until about the 15th of December.
Its a nice idea to get a live tree but depending on where you live (like where I do) its not practical as the ground will be frozen and it won't be able to be planted.
If you do get a live one and replant it will need to be watered as much as possible.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine aren't allowed on tables/countertops, so it's not an issue
They never climb up there- they've learned where they can and can't go
My concern was if the needles fell of the tree and they tried to play with them *cough, cough...Kojak!

Originally Posted by GailC

Believe it or not lots of christmas trees have been cut for several weeks know. Wisconsin is a large grower of Christmas trees.
We usually go to cut your own places but if that isn't possible you can run your fingers along several branches to see how many needles come off or pick the tree until on repeatedly pick it up on shake the tree hard.
If you get a tree from say Home Depot or Lowes the greater the chances it will have been cut quite a while ago!!
When you bring it home keep in cool as long as possilbe (menaing don't bring it in the house) and recut the stump of the tree as the orginal cut will be sealed and unable to uptake any water.
We don't usually get a tree until about the 15th of December.
Its a nice idea to get a live tree but depending on where you live (like where I do) its not practical as the ground will be frozen and it won't be able to be planted.
If you do get a live one and replant it will need to be watered as much as possible.
Thanks!!! Those are wonderful tips!!
I think i am leaning more towards a potted Christmas tree plant now (if i can find a good one!) so that I can replant it
What kind of water solution do you recommend to keep it looking good?? Should I buy it and keep it outside for a while? What about bugs? (we live in a milder climate- so the buggers are still around! I'd hate for the tree to get bugs on it and then to bring it in the house
) I was thinking of looking at some of the grocery stores/other shops and lots for the pre-potted ones!
I can't wait to see what i wind up with!!!!
Aww I just love Christmas and decorating!

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Growing up we always wanted a christmas tree to plant. Never happened though, but we did look into it several times. If memory serves correctly, there are several tree farms in Millington where you can go cut your own and also get live ones that you can later plant. I also want to say there was a place on Poplar Ave that you could get trees to plant too.

as far as keeping it fresh, some people use asprin in the water. I have also heard that sprite or 7up in the water works wonders too. I think my sis in law used sprite one year and her tree lasted a long while

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Actually in the past years they have found that poinsettias arent as toxic as they once believed.
Thanks! That means I can actually try to have a poinsettia this year?? I love them and miss them but I don't want to endanger my animals.

Someone mentioned recutting the trunk of the tree. I just remembered this...Dad always recut it, and cut it on an angle. I have no idea what that does. Mom always recut stems of fresh flowers at an angle too....I think it's supposed to help them absorb water better but I have no clue.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Driving a digger for a living means that sometimes I have to demolish trees and shrubs to make room for building. However 2 years ago we started on a new site which was a property and a very large garden. The owner had collected trees from a few places around the world, some of these were quite mature reaching heights of about 15-20 feet. I did not have room for all of them but the three or four that I dug up and planted in my garden have all flourished including a Christmas tree which has now grown about 12 inches, this is Ambers fav shady spot when its sunny, she gets right underneath it, when she comes out she looks like a little furry porcupine.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks! That means I can actually try to have a poinsettia this year?? I love them and miss them but I don't want to endanger my animals.

Someone mentioned recutting the trunk of the tree. I just remembered this...Dad always recut it, and cut it on an angle. I have no idea what that does. Mom always recut stems of fresh flowers at an angle too....I think it's supposed to help them absorb water better but I have no clue.
Ahh! Fresh cut florals are one thing i'm good at! (i'm a lisenced florist- but i am not currently designing at a shop- fresh cuts i can do, plants- i'm horrible at, hence the tree thread
!!)cutting the stems at an angle helps them absorb water better- the more surface that's available to "drink in"- the water & nutrients, the better! You get better surface absorption by cutting them at an angle!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

Growing up we always wanted a christmas tree to plant. Never happened though, but we did look into it several times. If memory serves correctly, there are several tree farms in Millington where you can go cut your own and also get live ones that you can later plant. I also want to say there was a place on Poplar Ave that you could get trees to plant too.

as far as keeping it fresh, some people use asprin in the water. I have also heard that sprite or 7up in the water works wonders too. I think my sis in law used sprite one year and her tree lasted a long while
Millington isn't too far from me at all! I could definitely do that- but since i'm thinking about just getting a little tiny one that's already potted- it might not be worth the trip to cut it down
(we have a new artifitial 7'1/2'' tree we just got as well) I think if i get a little one -i'd like a tabletop one i can later plant outside possibly! (just not sure where i'd plant it
)

Do you know what end of Poplar Ave that place is near (towards Collierville or towards downtown? ) There is a little place near me off Kirby Whitten that ALWAYS sells fresh trees/greenery- i'm thinking about going there to see if they have any potted ones maybe!
I'm excited!!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really shouldn't have to worry about "bugs" on conifers. (well there are scale insects and pine sawfly)but...you should be ok. Scale is quite easy to spot (and avoid) just look for white "dashes" on the needles. It would be really obvious!!
Also I wouldn't worry about doing any fertilization at this time of year either. Just keep evenly moist.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

You really shouldn't have to worry about "bugs" on conifers. (well there are scale insects and pine sawfly)but...you should be ok. Scale is quite easy to spot (and avoid) just look for white "dashes" on the needles. It would be really obvious!!
Also I wouldn't worry about doing any fertilization at this time of year either. Just keep evenly moist.
Thanks Gail!