Husband spending the night in the hospital :( Very long post!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warning, this will probably be a long post. DH was admitted to the hospital this morning at 7:00. Here's the story....

DH came home from work last night complaining of a stomach ache which he thought was due to eating an apple (he has Crohn's disease and fresh fruit can irritate his stomach sometimes). After being miserable for an hour with painful cramps and bloating, he finally threw up...then continued to throw up for the next 3 hours. We were starting to think maybe a stomach virus, but just to be sure we went to the emergency room around midnight. (Besides having Crohn's disease, he also has a recalled hernia patch which is going to be replaced in Dec, but severe vomiting and stomach cramps are symptoms of both.)

They hooked him up to an IV for fluids (which we expected), took blood and gave him demerol for the cramps, and something for nausa...of course it took an hour to get that and he threw up again while we were waiting. At that point, it was after 1:00, and I had to work this morning. So did he, but his boss is much more forgiving about taking days off. If I called off, I would have gotten fired, so he demanded I go home. We both thought he would get the IV fluids, they would give him something and send him home. He said he would take a cab.

So, I felt so bad, but I was so tired and he was basically falling asleep from the demerol, so I drove myself home. Of course, I couldn't sleep (I did try!). I figured he would be there for a few more hours, and when I hadn't heard from him by 3:00am, I called the emergency room. The nurse that answered the phone was very nasty, and said the only thing she could tell me was that he was still here. After I repeated I was his wife, she said "I can't verify that you are who you say you are". I offered to verify my date of birth and my ssn (since I had to verify when we were in admissions, and I AM listed on his medical records as next of kin) and she just got nastier with me.

So, I tried to go back to sleep and of course I couldn't. I kept waiting for him to come in the door. When he wasn't there by 4:00 I called again just to see if he was on his way. Same nurse answered, but this time she said he was there and just went down for a cat scan. Why???? She couldn't tell me why, which I can understand I guess. The doctors order them but don't put a reason.

Well, at that point I felt so guilty about not staying with him, I was determinded to go back to the hospital. I got in the shower with every intention to drive back up. Has anyone actually fallen asleep in the shower? It isn't a good thing. So, I decided the best thing was to get some sleep.

I got a little over 2 hours sleep when DH called around 7:00am letting me know they admitted him for 2 days! Why??? Because his blood work shows that he has an infection, but they have no idea where it is. And, at this point he has "slow bowels" (TMI, I know, but for someone with Crohn's disease that is not a good thing).

He is feeling MUCH better tonight and was able to keep down a solid dinner. But, honestly, I panic if someone I love is admitted to the hospital. I think it comes from the fact I was their when my mom and dad died in the hospital. To me, the only good thing that comes from being admitted is if someone is having a baby. To me, being admitted is close to a death sentence. In my mind, I know that is stupid, but my imagination starts going and I can't stop it, especially if I can't get any info (ok, example...."All I can tell you is that he is still here". My immediate thought process was, "Ok, is he still there sleeping off the demerol? Is he in emergency surgery or is he in the morgue??)

I guess I just needed to get this out. Sorry this is so long. It's just be a frustrating day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh! I can understand why your feeling like that! I hope your husband is back to normal real soon. Poor guy!
I hope you get some good rest tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh gosh! I can understand why your feeling like that! I hope your husband is back to normal real soon. Poor guy!
I hope you get some good rest tonight.
I tried to get some rest, but I still can't sleep. The only time I really slept is when I laid next to him in his hospital bed with him...he woke me up because I was snoring.
He said "you didn't come to visit me, you just came to take a nap!"

I just have a hard time sleeping without him. I hated calling him to say goodnight. If he was on a business trip that would be one thing...but I HATE him having to stay there.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How scarry! Ya'll had quite the day!
I hope he gets better soon and they figure out exactly what's going on!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow that is scary!!! I'm sorry you're having to deal with all that. I hope they find the source of the infection soon and he can go home!

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this - and that the nurse made a stressful time even worse for you. I understand about HIPAA rules and all....but please! Hope you don't run into that nurse again...and hoping that your hubby will pull thru just fine and dandy. At least the hospital is making progress on his case, yes? And it sounds like he has kept his sense of humor - "you only came here to nap". :-) Hopefully he won't be kept there long, but maybe for future incidents - find out if the hospital has a patient's advocate type thing/department/personnel. Patient case worker? Called different things in different hospitals - but it's someone that the patient / patient's family can go to for answers...and help....kinda like an interpreter / buffer between you and nurses like the one you ran into. Like I said, I understand about the privacy laws...but this is taking it all too far! You shouldn't have been treated so....crassly. Hang in there...and let us know how your hubby...and you....are doing!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my what an ordeal

I can imagine how scary it would be to have your dh in the hospital. I hope they figure out whats wrong with him..and that he continues to feel better.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you got a little sleep last night

I just thinkg its scary when someone you love is in the hospital and no one really knows what is wrong with him.

for him getting better soon!

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that he's in the hospital, but glad that he's feeling better. I know someone with Chrohn's and he has a horrible time with it. Hopefully he has a teeny tiny infection that is aggravated by his condition but that's it.

Tell him he has to hurry and get better. Christmas isn't that far away and he has a yard to decorate!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I hope you got a little sleep last night

I just thinkg its scary when someone you love is in the hospital and no one really knows what is wrong with him.

for him getting better soon!
Thanks everyone! Once I was able to turn my mind off, I slept like a rock!

He's supposed to be released today. He hasn't talked to the doctor yet, but hopefully he'll be coming home this afternoon.

Originally Posted by jenwales

Tell him he has to hurry and get better. Christmas isn't that far away and he has a yard to decorate!
I don't think I'll remind him of that!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that the nurse was so rude to you. She should have known you were worried and been a little more sensitive. I would have reported her to whoever was in charge.
I hope your hubby is better soon

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about this. I understand how you feel though. A couple of years ago my DH was having severe joint pain all the time. He went to a regular doctor that did a blood test and told him he had arthritis. We didn't think that sounded right so one day he went to the hospital and they did blood work and discovered he had elevated calcium. He was in the hospital for about a week before they dicovered he has sarcoidosis which is an autoimmune disorder like Chrohns but it affects the lungs not the colon. I was worried sick the whole time he was in the hospital. Hope your guy gets better soon.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a nasty nurse - she should be reported!
I understand they have their "rules" and all, but she could have been nicer about it.
And your job should have given you time off to be w/ your hubby; it was an emergency, after all!

How is your husband now?? I sure hope he's doing better, and is on his way to a speedy recovery. Good vibes & blessings are coming your way!

~KK~

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again guys! I went up this afternoon because he was supposed to be released around 1:00....he finally was able to sign the paperwork between 6:30 and 7:00
. But, he is home and feeling much better. He's been STARVING all day so he just finished off a personal pizza we had in the freezer and is looking aroung for more.
That's my hubby!

They had him on 2 different heavy duty IV drip antibiotics for over 24 hours, and steriods (for his Chrohn's disease) and was sent home with 2 antibiotic prescriptions and the steriod which he is supposed to taper off over the next week. He was also recommended to go see a gastriologist (sp?) to make sure his Chrohn's hasn't acted up again.

They never did find out where the infection was. They checked everything, execpt his head. I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection right now, and his mom is just getting over a nasty one too, so I'm betting that's why his white blood cell count was up. But, his count was fine today.

Thank you all so much for the support! I know I was a basket case Thursday and last night...thank you so much for understanding!