Yes!!! We're going to MI for Christmas!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just rented an SUV to get us there too.

We were going to drive my car (Honda Civic) buuuuuuutttt.... we may need the extra space on the way back.

For one we promised my parents that all the stuff we left with them (like 10 boxes of books) would be out by Christmas. Then B's back is another concern. Locking him up in a Civic for 11 hours isn't fun for him.
Finally our luggage and any gifts we receive.

From researching i basically had to order it soon too. Most of the other rental places were sold out of their SUVs.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on getting it though. A friend ordered an SUV to drive around DFW when her sister & family came for a visit. Ordered well in advance, confirmed and not available when she went to pick it up. and for the #1 car rental agency, they were not helpful or sympathetic when it happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess I'll find out the hard way.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats great!

Just a word of advice - I used to work in a car rental agency through a dealership, and since its a busy time of year- your best bet is to call and confirm your rental at least 2 times between now & Christmas. That way the people will remember you, and remember that they DO need to have an SUV availiable, even though it might be on their schedule.

Things happen & sometimes things are not availiable. Be sure to call and tell them that you will not be able to settle for anything less than an SUV. They might try & stick you with a car or something if an SUV becomes unavaliable last minute due to maintenance or double-booking. OR - if they do not have one for you, tell them you NEED an SUV or bigger, if they give you something bigger than an SUV (truck, van, ect) tell them that you want the same price that you'd have paid for the SUV. They should do that for you anyways, thats what we'd do.

Just stick to your guns & double or triple check your reservation with them, its better to be safe than sorry!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip on calling!!

Would offering a 50% deposit on it help sweeten the deal? Great now you guys have me all nervous! Maybe I should change the dates and request it for Thursday instead of Friday. I'm paying for a full week after all!!

EDIT: OK, now that I'm paranoid, I went back and changed the pick up date to Thursday instead of that Friday. I may still have issues...oy. This stinks. Should I be calling twice a week ahead of time or just randomly calling them over the next month?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Thanks for the tip on calling!!

Would offering a 50% deposit on it help sweeten the deal? Great now you guys have me all nervous! Maybe I should change the dates and request it for Thursday instead of Friday. I'm paying for a full week after all!!

EDIT: OK, now that I'm paranoid, I went back and changed the pick up date to Thursday instead of that Friday. I may still have issues...oy. This stinks. Should I be calling twice a week ahead of time or just randomly calling them over the next month?
I would maybe call them one month ahead of time, and then about 2 weeks before, and then the week before. Just tell them that you are checking on your reservation and that you really do need an SUV.

Are you renting from a big cooperation type place or a small local one?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm leasing from one of the chains

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with McKenzie. Many auto dealers rent vehicles for the same price-not many people think of this though. Also you might want to check if the SUV -hoping its like an Explorer has tow pkg with trailer hitch just in case you might want to rent a trailer!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I agree with McKenzie. Many auto dealers rent vehicles for the same price-not many people think of this though. Also you might want to check if the SUV -hoping its like an Explorer has tow pkg with trailer hitch just in case you might want to rent a trailer!!!
You just want to cover ALL your bases so you know exactly what you're going to be renting, and to be sure its what you want & if its going to be big enough to haul your things. What kind of SUV are they renting to you? A lot of SUVs are different sizes, different brands have different sizes, be sure to check that out too

OH - also check with their milage rules, I know sometimes if you go over your miles that are stated on the contract they'll charge you an arm & a leg - same with gas when you bring it back.

GOOD LUCK - if you have any questions, you can PM me

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone!!!

Yes, I know the mileage is unlimited...but your hints reminded me that when I call them
to ask about driving out of state with the vehicle.

Good gravy, I hope I don't need a U-Haul. If we do we need a biggre house then