Help cat gone missing.Someone told me they can go missing before they die?? Help

ruairib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
My cat went missing sometime in early hours of this morning(16 hrs ago roughly) . The last couple of days shes been acting bit strange meaning she was very unsettled. In and out of the house every few mins , wining etc. She is 14yrs old but is very healthy for her age, playing running up and down the trees outside. She only stays in the garden,has never ventured very far ever. Have been out looking all day.. A friend of mine said that "cats sometimes wonder off before they die" Is there any truth in this? It's killing all of us here..

If you have any info please drop a line.

Thank you

Ruairi B

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if there's any truth to that. But we have a cat out here, belongs to my DH's dad. She is 13+ years old and is indoor/outdoor (her choice). One day last year, she just disappeared. We live way out in the country, and she has never wandered very far from the house and barn. We looked everywhere, asked neighbors, drove all over nearby roads thinking maybe she was hit. We couldn't find her. Exactly one month later she reappeared, a little bit skinnier but perfectly fine. To this day we have no idea what happened and she hasn't disappeared since.

I hope you are able to find your baby soon!

dani_elle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Fatty, was fairly old.. we weren't sure how old because the original owner never told us how old he was, or even what his name was. But we had him for almost a year, when suddenly he just stopped eating or drinking very much. Then stopped eating all together. He wasn't an outdoor cat at all, but he kept wanting to go outside; and when he escaped, he would hide under the cement steps out front and stay there unless we dragged him out. We were pretty sure he was looking for a place to die quietly and alone.. because he did not come back.

Cats can be very private when they're sick; they either hide it really well, or they hide themselves until they feel better. So it's entirely possible your cat thought it was her time. But then again, cats have a way of coming back all the time too.. so she may just be on an adventure.

I would say, keep looking.. and good luck. I hope you find your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruairib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for reply. It's really strange that she has wondered off like that but as you said, your cat returned so theres some hope. If she had been sick then it might be a different story. I've never heard of them wondering off before they pass on so i hope it's just an old wifes tale and that there no evidence of this..

Regards
;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruairib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dani, thanks for the reply also. Last couple of months she had gone extremely fussy towards her food so we would just try her with some other grub and most cases she eat it. Gota find her. I'm in process of printing flyers and gona put them in every letter box around my house.
Some nightmare

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to worry you but cats sometimes do go off to die.

A relative of mine had a cat and he got old and wandered off. He usually turned right when he went for a walk but he turned left that one time, which he'd never done before. He looked at the person who'd follow him out, turned left and walked off. They never saw him again and what we all think was he wandered off to die.

I never met him but I heard that from good authority.

Keep searching by all means - your cat may just feel like exploring somewhere new.

kizza07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its true. Sorry, but it is.

I know of 13 cats that ran off to die. All exept 3 died of old age, the other three had problems inside them (not sure what)

Please keep us updated. I am praying for you.

I hope to god that you discover her safely.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird. I had a cat who was only 8 wander off into the bushes near where we lived to die. We found her body a few days later and realised that she had been sick, she'd just hidden it so well that we wouldn't have suspected a thing. I don't mean to make you worried though. I've had other cats disappear for a few days then come back when they got hungry.

I had one cat that wandered off, and one year later we found a "FOUND CAT" sign and it was him. He'd wandered back to our old house. We took him home, and he wandered off again. A year later again, I saw him. He was living with a new family, next door to our old house.

I can only hope that yours comes back, but you should know that regardless of where the cat's gone, it's probably in the cat's best interests.

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ruairib

Hi.
My cat went missing sometime in early hours of this morning(16 hrs ago roughly) . The last couple of days shes been acting bit strange meaning she was very unsettled. In and out of the house every few mins , wining etc. She is 14yrs old but is very healthy for her age, playing running up and down the trees outside. She only stays in the garden,has never ventured very far ever. Have been out looking all day.. A friend of mine said that "cats sometimes wonder off before they die" Is there any truth in this? It's killing all of us here..

If you have any info please drop a line.

Thank you

Ruairi B
It is unfortunately true,in some situations but it is not a rule that applies to all missing cats.
Many different animals go somewhere peaceful and quiet when they feel they are about to die,they have a very strong sense of when death is approaching,they can even have this sense when it happens in others.

They can also go missing for many other reasons,someone else might be feeding them [even if they're wearing a collar it doesn't stop people doing this],they might have got too far out without realising and become disorientated-this especially can happen with 'inexperienced' cats,they could have been injured but still alive-they could have been injured and taken to vets,they could have been taken into a cats home as a stray,they could have gotten into someones' house or shed/garage and are unable to get out,she could have even been stolen,there are various reasons that could be the answer,so never give up until she's found.

Am recommend signing her up on the good national missing pet websites,make up some posters to stick around locally,go and have walks around to have a look for her-under hedges etc,ask people if they could check their gardens and sheds.
Ask around all the local vets and pets homes whether they have had any cats in of her description.

Fluffybum [a beautiful,at least 15+ year old tux gent] went missing for days and went everywhere looking for him,it was very not like him to go missing because he had his own area to 'patrol' and take care of,and found him dead not long after under a hedge.
But,back in the early nineties,Twinkle-an ex ferral went missing for two months,parents had put notices about her up in shop windows everywhere and eventually,she was tracked down to a house just above the very end of this road,she had become disorientated from being so far away and someone had took her in.
Have heard of many stories over the years of cats disappearing for years,
their owners thinking they have died,got new cats and then found them wandering in like they were never gone.
Some cats have gone missing because they have jumped into neighbours' cars or trucks moving their stuff out to a new home.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive had cats try to go away when they are sick. Ive also had cats that just decided to be creative and go somewhere else! One day I found Kitten (yes that was her name) stuck up a tree! She seriously couldn't get down! If it weren't for my good hearing she would have died up there! She did this everywhere. Maybe he's just trying something new!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my gigi has been gone a month now! she wasn't but a yr and a half, and she too started acting funny a few days before she left or disappeared, maybe not a few days, may have been more on the day of. I noticed her going in and out alot! everytime I came or went in and out there she was jumping in the door ahead of me whenever I would go back inside, I was raking the leaves, then when i would go out, she would blast out of nowhere, i'd open the door she would jump outside ahead of me! I told her, "what is your deal?
ok .....go out then!" my cat Scream did the exact same thing the night she went away, 2 yrs ago, she jumped over Spook to get outside, as I was walking in the door! I had heard that about cats if they were sick, about going somewhere to die! We have got to think positive, both of us! I wish you all the kitty-luck in the world!!
I will pray both are safe and found soon!
I have to go and really search the area and it's going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, it is a wooded area, it looks so overhelming but I have to do it! /good luck again!!
Monique