Laptop computers........advice welcomed

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, I don't have a computer at home anymore, and the one I use here at the shop is dying a slow, painful death....soooooo, I'm looking for a new one, and hub and I have decided to go with a laptop, so I can transport it from home to here and with the USB card that is coming via FedEx today, I can connect wirelessly anywhere I have phone service. The even better thing is that once I do get said computer, we can drop two landlines and save @$200 a month.....but...back to my original question for those of you who know about them or use them, whats the best mid-priced laptop you have seen or used? Thanks!!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been impressed with the Toshiba line, and they have several models that are priced very reasonable. (I'm using a Tosh right now
)

Just one word of caution. Don't fall for the "wide screen" pitch, unless you have actually seen the computer turned on. The reason being, some of the "wide screens" are only made wide, by making them "less tall"

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like HP and compaq laptops. I have a compaq and it is a work horse. Look for a laptop with 1 gig of ram and a dvd/cd burner. Hard drive space and the extras will vary but be more than adequate.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wireless doesn't mean that you can connect anywhere with a phone line. That phone line still needs to have an internet connection (not dial-up). And it can't be a security-enable network because otherwise you will need to put in a passcode that probably only the person who has that internet connection installed in their phone line will know.

My suggestion is to get a laptop, and search for connections. If you find any unsecured networks, then you can dump your phone line, but if not, then you will need to keep your phone line with an internet connection, and a wireless modem plugged into it. That would be needed for home and work unless the two are very close together, as most wireless modems will only have a certain radius that they can give signal in.

Also, most laptops now come wireless enabled, so you won't need your card, as it is already built-in.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Wireless doesn't mean that you can connect anywhere with a phone line. That phone line still needs to have an internet connection (not dial-up). And it can't be a security-enable network because otherwise you will need to put in a passcode that probably only the person who has that internet connection installed in their phone line will know.

My suggestion is to get a laptop, and search for connections. If you find any unsecured networks, then you can dump your phone line, but if not, then you will need to keep your phone line with an internet connection, and a wireless modem plugged into it. That would be needed for home and work unless the two are very close together, as most wireless modems will only have a certain radius that they can give signal in.

Also, most laptops now come wireless enabled, so you won't need your card, as it is already built-in.
I think maybe she means like the sprint and at&t style cards where you can get wireless almost anywhere you have cell phone service.

I love my Toshiba and have only had 1 problem with it ever. I bout it in 2005 for $800 but I know they have come down A LOT! My BF also has a toshiba that he really likes.
Whatever you do, dont go to best buy! Long story short, their costumer service is horrible on laptops.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Advent, the battery life could be better, but other than that, it's pretty good. I've heard that Toshiba's are the best ones to go for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I think maybe she means like the sprint and at&t style cards where you can get wireless almost anywhere you have cell phone service.
Thats it, matter of fact, it has a sim card and its own phone number, lol!
I live far enough out in the sticks that I can get nothing but dialup...no wireless, no DSL, no nothing! Keep the comments coming guys, I really appreciate it!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some work today on my Directors laptop which is a Toshiba and WOW, I'm in love! My next computer will be a Toshiba, for sure!

Its screen is amazingly clear, the keyboard is great & so is the mouse control. Great machine!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

I've always been impressed with the Toshiba line, and they have several models that are priced very reasonable. (I'm using a Tosh right now
)
I have a Toshiba too! It's a Toshiba Satellite with a Celeron processor and WinXP. They have it at Walmart for about $550, or at least last I looked. It came out about a year and a half ago. When it first came out, it was about $1,100 but I was able to get it for $700 with a sale, a coupon, last box that was opened and it was at the Base Exchange!
The screen is not defined as HD but pretty darn close! Wireless built inside with of course a hard line dock and with 4 USB ports. Dual speakers built in so it doesn't have a crummy sound, it actually sounds good! It's built for media.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE don't get a Dell!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a $2000 Dell, Inspiron 6000, top of the line and it didn't even last a year. Dell is terrible to work with and they wouldn't deal with me until after my warrenty ran out, which is when they told me they would help
Since then it's broke 4 times in just under 3 years. I'm sick of Dells and I will never get one again.

I have a used Compaq that I went out and bought about 2 months ago. I really like it and haven't had any troubles with it.

Just made sure you get a good processor speed. That's really all that matters IMO if it's just a household computer.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed, Dell isn't worth their weight in gold anymore. You pay for what you get (if you actually get the same thing you ordered).

I've been using an HP laptop for the last year and a half. So far it's held up to its end of the deal and is still pretty good.

What will you be using the laptop for? Just internet or playing DVDs, games etc? If its the latter, get at least 1.7 GHz or faster processor if you can afford it. Anything less, and you'll definitely see the lag time.