cat memory

dethfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went on vacation for two weeks and left my cat at my parents house. I came back and he acted like he didn't even know me. I've had him for two years! He ran away from me and hid. I would pick him up and he freaks out and looks at me differently. Like he doesn't remember me! We were quite close and always cuddle, I'm home like 12 hours a day as I work at home. Now I leave for a couple weeks and forgets me!! I'm actually kinda sad!

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
all I can add is that my sister had a cat from when the cat was a kitten. She left to go to Italy for 18 months for a mission for our church. When she got back the cat was at first cautious, but within the hour was back to cuddling with my sister.

Your cat is probably a little ticked at you b/c of being left in new surroundings with someone other than you, and will be fine.

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also going away for a week and worried that Marcel (5ish months) will forget me! George is 6 so he's been left before, he's normally pretty cool the first day that we get back but the second day he sticks to my legs like glue

Maybe I have to bring them a little present back so that they forgive me!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you've been away for any length of time you're going to smell different, and that's what your cat is reacting to - just as he'd react to another cat who went to the vet's overnight and now smelled like the vet's office. He'll get over it quickly once you're both at home for a day and you're in clothes he's used to.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have better memories than that.

For example I was friends with an outdoor/indoor cat that lived nearby my parents home. We were great buddies and he always came running when he saw me and I played lots with him and cuddled him outside etc.

Then I moved to a different country and then I was visiting my parents around a year and a half later and I saw a ginger lighting coming for me. It was the same cat and he definately remembered me

You probably just smelled funny to your cat. He'll be back to normal.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Cats have better memories than that.

For example I was friends with an outdoor/indoor cat that lived nearby my parents home. We were great buddies and he always came running when he saw me and I played lots with him and cuddled him outside etc.

Then I moved to a different country and then I was visiting my parents around a year and a half later and I saw a ginger lighting coming for me. It was the same cat and he definately remembered me

You probably just smelled funny to your cat. He'll be back to normal.
What a great story and I often hear people say Cats memory are poor but from what I experience and especially what you have experienced that is far from the truth.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dethfire,

How long has it been since you been home? Is your cat still acting strange towards you?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats will only come out and socialize with people they know, otherwise, they are out of sight.

I have family that I only see once or twice a year, my cats know them and love them and even when its a year in between visits, they are all out catching up and getting their long overdue love
Their memory is good.

Maybe your kitty cat is upset with you right now and is waiting for you to grovel.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Maybe your kitty cat is upset with you right now and is waiting for you to grovel.

If you "worship"
him for a few days, he'll forgive you!

My Mom came to visit me for 3 months last January, and she said when she got home, her furbaby was mad at her too, and wouldn't come near her for a few days..

Whenever I'm gone for any length of time, my furbabies will sulk, too (with the exception of Winchester; he's happy to see us no matter how long we're gone, or no matter what we do!
).

Your furbaby is just ticked off - he'll get over it..

~KK~

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats have a great memory. maze and problem solving tests indicate that their memory is something like 3 times greater than dogs.

So yeah, it sounds like your cat has a great memory -- it remembers that you left it! And with your parents! But don't worry, after another 2 weeks of living with you he should be back to his old self.