Does my kitten have a cold?

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

So I think my 6.5 month kitten has a cold when one runny nostril.. is that possible?? just like little babies sometimes do, when she breathes it often makes a blooger fluid bubble (which then she licks of course..) but it seems like only one nose is runny.. she sleeps all the time, but it seems she's less active then usual. However she's going to the bathroom/eating just fine.. so should I just wait out her cold??

I think it may be caused by the fact that my apartment gets really cold at night and even though Nina sleeps on my bed in her little doughnut bed, I think she might have been cold... I encourage her to come under the covers w/ me, but sometimes she's so timid and it's like she knows that her bed in the little dougnut bed.. But should I try to cover her w/ my comforter or a towel at night?? It doesn't seem serious but I don't want it to get worse.. Thanks!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go ahead & maybe call your local vet, or even take her in to be seen.
When my Harley had a cold this spring, I was going to wait it out too, until he became very lethargic & ran an extreme temp of over 102.0 degrees

I'm sure your vet could prescribe some medication to her to make her feel much better

Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Colds are common in kittens. An Upper Respiratory Infection(URI) spreads easily & fast. The sooner you treat them, the better....because not only do they get better faster, but often need a shorter treatment of antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies..Is there anything I can do for her these next couple of days b/c I probably won't be able to go to the vet until later next week.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To be honest with you, I wouldn't wait until late next week... Cats are much more sensitive then us humans to colds. You say that she is less active and sleeps all the time, that's not a good sign, she might have a fever. It's highly unlikely that she will get better on her own.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Studio224

To be honest with you, I wouldn't wait until late next week... Cats are much more sensitive then us humans to colds. You say that she is less active and sleeps all the time, that's not a good sign, she might have a fever. It's highly unlikely that she will get better on her own.

I agree w/ the others. The sooner, the better. What could be "just a cold" could very well turn into something more serious very quickly...

~KK~