Is this a Thanksgiving tradition for some of you or am I just old?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to some of the people at my job and they say that the night before Thanksgiving is a big party night, where you go out and drink/party till the wee hours because you don't have to go to work the next morning usually. Well, I must be a fuddy duddy because I've never once did that!
The night before Thanksgiving, as far back as I can remember, has always been filled with cooking or cleaning for the next day! To go out and party I just can't imagine.....am I the only one who never heard of this so called "tradition"?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've definately never done that before

The night before Thanksgiving for me is full of driving home to see my family for 2 hours and spending hours in front of the ads for Thanksgiving day & Black Friday sales

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of it either, though the thought would have been appealing when I was 20 years younger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness, it's not just me!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in college people did that every year. It's because they don't have to be anywhere until at least 4 the next day.

I like to just go home, flip on a Jazz radio station, and start my stuffing.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think I'd want to be hungover on Thanksgiving!
I want to be in prime shape for early morning shopping and LOTS of eating!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In SE Michigan the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was known as the biggest bar night of the year. Mainly it was due to many college students coming back home from school and that was the first holiday coming home.

I haven't gone out on that night for years. I feel like a fuddy duddy mooching off of a college kid's night.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know going out was popular when we were in college, mostly a chance to get back together and hang out for a night. Other then that, I've never heard of partying before then.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of that tradition. I just stay home and bake my pies. The past couple of years we have just gone out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving since my stove didn't work to good. But now that we have moved to an apartment with a stove that works, I am cooking the dinner. It will still be just the two of us unless my friend can make it, but that is ok. I have to work the day after Thanksgiving, so we can't go anywhere out of town.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didnt go out the night before but we did go out Thanksgiving night to a local bar area.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never did that, and probably won't start anytime soon! My college Thanksgiving vacation started on Thanksgiving Day; we had normal classes on Wednesday! I think I always had class on Wednesdays.

So, I think I was always on the train. The only time I remember staying out till the wee hours the night before was when the train's information and warning systems went down because there was an ice storm and we had to inch along on the tracks. We got in at about 3:30AM, about 5 hours late. I kept falling asleep the next day, and at one point my face nearly fell into my food! It was unusual because normally I'm fine with lack of sleep.

Anyway, I was usually expected to help with preparations (but not actual cooking) and some last minute cleaning. We also normally eat around noon. I never understood why most people waited until last afternoon to eat Thanksgiving Dinner.

Tricia

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that's a little-known Thanksgiving tradition started by the Algonquin tribe. The Algonquins had always been fond of a good party, but when those strait-laced Puritans showed up with their high, starched collars and their Sunday-morning fire-and-brimstone sermons, it caused the fun-loving Algonquins to snicker up their buckskin sleeves.

When the Puritans sent out invitations for the very first Thanksgiving feast, the Algonquins knew the price of attendance would be listening to another longwinded rant about sinners and repentance and the wrath of an angry God -- really depressing stuff. So some of the more progressive Algonquins got together and decided to fortify themselves for the Thanksgiving guilt trip by getting plastered the night before.

A spirited evening of blackberry wine and pin-the-tail-on-the-buffalo took its toll on the younger Algonquins, and a number of them showed up for Thanksgiving dinner still a bit schnockered. This took some of the overly-pious edge off the celebration and, despite the initial misgivings of elders on both sides of the table, actually led to improved Puritan/Algonquin relations (and a few Puritan/Algonquin nuptials, as well).

Most historians have overlooked the mischievous Algonquins and the good-humored fun they poked at their prim and proper hosts that first Thanksgiving Day... but the Algonquin legacy lives on in the Thanksgiving Eve tradition of partying like it's 1699.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I'm young, and I've never known it to be a party night.
I don't really want to do it either considering that I'd be drinking with my family and I might say something..... I don't want them to know all my secrets!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've also never heard of this. Might be because I was married with 2 kids by the time I hit drinking age, so partying was never high on my to-do list!