Litter box issues

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever my cat uses her litter box she will clear an area and then go, but when she tries to bury it, she is always reaching outside the box and scratching other things. Like she scrapes the wall like she is trying to bury the poo with the wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Have you tried a covered box?
No I haven't but I don't like the idea of shutting them in there with the smell. As bad as it is for us to smell their poo, imagine being stuck in a box of poo.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have covered litter boxes and I scoop once a day. This way they don't have to stand in yuck and helps control the smell.

freezebyte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zero9243

Whenever my cat uses her litter box she will clear an area and then go, but when she tries to bury it, she is always reaching outside the box and scratching other things. Like she scrapes the wall like she is trying to bury the poo with the wall.
I gotta nice box at Petsmart that has curved inside walls to help keep the "flinging" litter down. Was only $6 and works well, Here a pic....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No I haven't but I don't like the idea of shutting them in there with the smell. As bad as it is for us to smell their poo, imagine being stuck in a box of poo.
They aren't getting stuck in there, LOL - you are in the bathroom with a closed door when you go poop, right? Then you leave the room - same thing for them.

I got high-sided, covered litterboxes for my crew, but I took the doors off the covers, so they always have fresh air to breath while they are dropping their stink bombs.

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

They aren't getting stuck in there, LOL - you are in the bathroom with a closed door when you go poop, right? Then you leave the room - same thing for them.

I got high-sided, covered litterboxes for my crew, but I took the doors off the covers, so they always have fresh air to breath while they are dropping their stink bombs.
Stink bombs. LOL. I might have to try getting a covered one then. Thanks.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Stink bombs. LOL. I might have to try getting a covered one then. Thanks.
You're welcome. Van Ness makes a jumbo sized one, so you can put a nice deep layer of litter in, then they can dig to China all they want to, or they can scratch at the interior walls of the box without ruining your walls.

And yes. Stink bombs. Max just dropped one while I was in the middle of cleaning out the boxes.
Horrible, horrible stinkiness.

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You're welcome. Van Ness makes a jumbo sized one, so you can put a nice deep layer of litter in, then they can dig to China all they want to, or they can scratch at the interior walls of the box without ruining your walls.

And yes. Stink bombs. Max just dropped one while I was in the middle of cleaning out the boxes.
Horrible, horrible stinkiness.

I just am worried that she feels like she needs to dig to china and isn't getting the satisfaction :-D

kunalen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I place piece of newspaper under the litter box.My Nacho does scratch the newspaper outside the box.It is also good to clear the poo quickly.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buying a covered one was like $15 (the cheapest I found) So I bought a rubbermaid tote and had my husband cut a hole in the one side--haven't put the lid on just yet because I didn't want to rush things with the kitten (he had only been using the regular one a week and didn't want to mess with him too much). It ended up costing $4.25

I switched because he was kicking litter out of the other one.

Leslie