Busy day at the shelter!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was volunteering at the shelter yesterday in the office - so greeting and helping who came in, answering the phone, confirming spay and neuter appointments, and booking in new ones. It was sooooo busy! From the moment I got there I (and the paid staff) were run off our feet!

It was rewarding though: A guy was trying to make an appointment to neuter his cat and asked if we could declaw as well. I said that we don't do it, and asked if he'd researched it because it was amputation, and caused so many behavioural problems, and just plain cruel blah blah blah. He said he'd heard differing opinions and hadn't decided anything, just wanted to talk to different vets about it.

I sent him the confirmation letter for his appointment in the mail and also included a flyer we have on why declawing is bad. I realised afterward that I had no idea if I was "allowed" to go into detail as to why I thought it was bad, and wasn't sure what the staff normally do. I spoke to the superintendent and she said I did the exact right thing, and good on me for explaining it in detail. I was very pleased that the shelter had the same view and also felt so strongly about it, and that I could help save one kitties paws hopefully.

We also had a guy come in and get an adoption form for our longest serving kitty!! She is my absolute favourite there at the moment - she's a gorgeous tortie and only a year old - she's sweet, playful, loves to cuddle and will happily sit in my arms while I walk around doing other things. I am amazed she's been there for over 4 months, she truly is a great cat!

We had 2 "stray chickens" come in over the weekend, and we were having a bit of a giggle about stray chickens in a very urban area, and then a girl rang saying 2 of her chickens has escaped and had they been brought in. There was a very happy reunion...

I haven't been able to volunteer there in a while and it's so nice to be back!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so great that the longest staying resident got adopted! That is such *wonderful* news! When we adopted Reagan I really wanted to get PAK's longest staying resident, but the woman wanted to make sure we got the exact right cat for us, so we got Reagan, who'd only been there two weeks. But we did get the right kitty after all

And good on you for informing that man about declawing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

It's so great that the longest staying resident got adopted! That is such *wonderful* news! When we adopted Reagan I really wanted to get PAK's longest staying resident, but the woman wanted to make sure we got the exact right cat for us, so we got Reagan, who'd only been there two weeks. But we did get the right kitty after all

And good on you for informing that man about declawing!
She hasn't been adopted yet - he couldn't adopt her yesterday, but he got a form so he could fill it out then come in with it pre-filled. Fingers crossed he does and gets approved!