Maisie poorly again.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys

I haven`t been around much lately but could do with some advice from people who know about cats.

Maisie has gone right down hill over the last 3 weeks. She will now only eat tiny amounts of chicken, mostly I have to hand feed her.

She hardly goes to the toilet.

She hasn`t wanted to play for 3 weeks and seems generally uncomfortable and depressed.

She sleeps an awful lot, even for a cat!

Two weeks ago we went to the vets and he said she may have an inflamed stomach so she had the usual anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory injection. But she hasn`t really immproved so today we went back.

He said he could feel thickening in her bowel and she may have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and said that`s a pre-cursor (?) to cancer. Then he gave her an injection of a long acting steroid to see if that helped and I have to ring them next week and let him know how she`s doing.

My aim when I decided to keep her was to give her a loving, caring home with everything she wants for the rest of her life which I`d already guessed wouldn`t be too long but I`m thinking maybe that time has come.

The vet didn`t mention her being PTS but he said if she didn`t start eating now she would have to go in and be force fed. I hope this doesn`t sound weird but I don`t want to put her through that. She is old and frail and I want the end to be comfortable. Is that wrong?

Anyway, I`d be really glad if someone had any advice or experience.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and Maisie. No, it's not wrong to want your loving companion to be comfortable and it's not wrong to not want to prolong suffering. With multiple animals, I have had to make this very hard decision too many times. If force feeding her is only putting off the inevitable and she's not enjoying anything anymore then maybe it is time. While you can't make her young again you can ease her passing as your last gift to her. Look at Maisie and look deep into your heart and you will know.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Poor Maisie!
Hopefully shes going to be okay!

You will know when its time, whenever that may be...
Update us all on how shes doing & what you decided for her!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that is not wrong to want that for your Maisie!
Hopefully the steroids will make her want to eat. I can totally understand you not wanting to put her thru any tubal force feedings...she will tell you what she wants to do.
Many and prayers being sent to you both.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for what you and Maisie are going through....you're doing the best there is for her and no, I don't think you're wrong at all to not want to put her through all of that at the end of her time. You know her best and what she needs. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

No, it's not wrong to want your loving companion to be comfortable and it's not wrong to not want to prolong suffering. If force feeding her is only putting off the inevitable and she's not enjoying anything anymore then maybe it is time. While you can't make her young again you can ease her passing as your last gift to her. Look at Maisie and look deep into your heart and you will know.
I agree with the above.
for you and Maisie.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you run a senior blood panel? I guess that's the only suggestion I can give.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not wrong for you to want her to have peace. You just have to ask, at this point are the good days outnumbered by the bad days?

She may be very treatable at this point, but if you think she's going to permanently lose quality of life, it may be time.

This may sound corny, but it may not be a bad idea to have a little "talk" with her. Let her know you love her and if she's tired and wants to go, you'll miss her, but it's OK. If she wants to fight, you'll help her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone
Sorry it`s taken so long to get back but I`m on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

We have a little good news. Maisie started to perk up yesterday! She isn`t back to where she was before but she has started to eat on her own and is eating more of her meals.

She seems more comfortable and even gave me a little 'Prrrp' this morning!
Forgot that she stopped doing that.

So, these steroids seem to be having a good effect but she isn`t pooping too well. She only did a tiny bunny currant yesterday. I`m going to google the meds she had as I don`t know alot about steroids.

I was really worried that she was sick because she still has to live in the bedroom. A friend from work came to see her yesterday and said she looks content which is what is important so I guess she`s not depressed. She also said if she is quite happy to be in there which she thought she was, then there was no reason for her not to carry on.

Today we must have watched 8 straight episodes of Scrubs together. She just wanted to lay on the bed with me and have a little brush and cuddle and she seemed quite peaceful so now I just have to see what the vet says on wednesday and I will ask him about blood test.

You know, last week I did ask her if she was ready
I`m not sure she is just yet. One thing for certain is she is a tough little cookie! It must be her tortitude

Fingers crossed she will be a little better tomorrow and will have done a poop.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah for Maisie!

Now, miss here's some for you to poop...maybe a little
will get things moving!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Yeah for Maisie!

Now, miss here's some for you to poop...maybe a little
will get things moving!
It worked!
She did 2 very hard dry poops last night!
Obviously not good that she`s constipated but it`s better than no poop!

She wasn`t that interested in breakfast this morning but she ate a little eventually. Going to see if she wants some lunch in a bit.
She`s not great but she`s fighting so I`m going to fight with her as long as she wants.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

poopie dance time!
seriously, if she's not eating much, she's not going to poop much, either.
glad to hear she's perked up a bit, tho!
there are a couple of articles that deal with making that hardest of decisions - you might want to read them...
When it's time to say goodbye
When is it time? Making the difficult decision.

Thank you! That was really helpful.
She`s eating a bit more now. Just waiting for vet to ring tomorrow morning.

Kitty wanted to go in and see her but she wasn`t impressed