Christmas Present Ideas

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so apparently I am the Queen of the Gift Baskets, and I know some others on this site are very creative and crafty, so I thought I would make a thread about Christmas gift ideas. If there's someone you are having trouble shopping for, post a bit about them here, and I, and hopefully a few others, will give some great ideas! Anyone up for it? I just love helping people get great gifts and wanted to offer my help on here! And I know everyone has that one person that is horrible to shop for!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh great idea!

My hardest shoppers are EVERYBODY in DH's family!

If anyone has ideas for a 3 year old boy (likes trains, but has millions) a 5 year old girl (loves ballet/princess stuff), and a 10 year old boy (loves military stuff and martial arts), I'm open to suggestions!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great thread idea!!! The hardest person to shop for on my list is my fiance Colin.

What he wouldn't want:

cologne (he only has one he likes and doesn't wear it often)
shower stuff (he's the kind of guy that sticks to one type of bar soap and won't change it
)
tools/etc- he has just about every tool under the sun!
food basket (with cheeses,sausages/etc - i already did that one)
clothes/shoes
most electronics (the only thing he'd possibly want (lcd flat screen- i can't afford
)

i dunno what on earth to get him
I was going to do Scuba diving lessons for both of us- we're going on a cruise for our honeymoon in a few months- so i thought that would be perfect. When i talked to the director though,- he said i wouldn't be able to because of my asthma (and it wouldn't be fun for him to do it buy himself, so i dunno). It would have been the perfect "gift" but i'm not sure what to do now

Any ideas? (he was in the navy for 8 yrs and he's a cop now...so i'm not sure what to get
)

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh great idea!

My hardest shoppers are EVERYBODY in DH's family!

If anyone has ideas for a 3 year old boy (likes trains, but has millions) a 5 year old girl (loves ballet/princess stuff), and a 10 year old boy (loves military stuff and martial arts), I'm open to suggestions!
Okay 5 year old girl...They love dress up stuff...the shoes the dresses the feather boas all of it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Okay 5 year old girl...They love dress up stuff...the shoes the dresses the feather boas all of it
Get a cute toychest or small wardrobe for them and fill it with dress clothes, and costume jewelry. You can either get stuff from stores, or even go to yard sales and the good will stores and just combine it all together.
Another idea, does she have a ballet bag? Or maybe even see about getting a practice bar for her? Or if its an option tickets to a local ballet performance if she's never been! You might even call the director and see if she could get a bit of a backstage tour or something like that!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Great thread idea!!! The hardest person to shop for on my list is my fiance Colin.

What he wouldn't want:

shower stuff (he's the kind of guy that sticks to one type of bar soap and won't change it
)
clothes/shoes
most electronics (the only thing he'd possibly want (lcd flat screen- i can't afford
)

I was going to do Scuba diving lessons for both of us- we're going on a cruise for our honeymoon in a few months- so i thought that would be perfect. When i talked to the director though,- he said i wouldn't be able to because of my asthma (and it wouldn't be fun for him to do it buy himself, so i dunno). It would have been the perfect "gift" but i'm not sure what to do now

Any ideas? (he was in the navy for 8 yrs and he's a cop now...so i'm not sure what to get
)
He sounds about as hard to shop for as my BF! LOL!
Um lets see could you make him a scrap book of all your times together?
Also could you snorkle instead of scuba dive? Dont know if its any different with asthma! You could make get him a nice snorkle set.
Um... does he like cars? You could get him a really nice car washing set? And maybe get him something police related. Just do a google search for gifts for cops. I'm sure theres a website for it somewhere!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Just do a google search for gifts for cops. I'm sure theres a website for it somewhere!
Oh Nikki! Check out cafepress.com!!!! Some things are soooo funny on there. I googled gifts for cops like suggested and it brought me to cafe press and oh there are some funny ones I won't/can't post on here!
Maybe that will give you some ideas...

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh Nikki! Check out cafepress.com!!!! Some things are soooo funny on there. I googled gifts for cops like suggested and it brought me to cafe press and oh there are some funny ones I won't/can't post on here!
Man I forgot about cafepress! I LOVE that website! They have some really funny stuff! A few of my friends design shirts and sell them on there!
Also if you are shopping for a geek (like many of my friends and my BF) you might want to try Jinx.com or nerdyshirts.com (their site is down now but should be back up soon) and thinkgeek.com

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What he wouldn't want:

)
clothes/shoes
)

)
He can still do a "Discover Scuba" class. It normally is a 3-4 hour class, and the student is shown the basic skills, and then taken by the hand and taken on a tour underwater. Maximum depth is 30' so you could snorkel on the survice and still participate...plus take pics to prove that he was actually scuba diving!

http://www.discoverscuba.net/discover.html

The link is to one specific dive shop, but check and see if they offer anything like that around you, or on your cruise.

Another option would be a print of your husband's ship (if he's sentimental). I got one for my husband and he loves it! I'll try to find the website where I got it if you're interested.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Navy ship idea -- either a print, or a model to build together!

Okay: my problem is my brother.

And besides that, I don't know what to give him for Christmas! [insert rimshot here]

But seriously, folks... my brother has everything he could possibly want except, like, a Cessna or something. I can't possibly afford any of the things he'd really like to have. I used to try to go for sentimental, rather than intrinsic, value -- i.e., making him stuff -- but none of it ever seemed to impress him. Unless you count the sugar cookies.

He seems to like getting gift cards, but sheesh... he's my brother! I'd like to give him something more personal, more meaningful... and if at all possible, cheaper!

Help?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm is your brother the typical big kid? I got Gary a book for his birthday that taught him how to build random (and slightly dangerous) things. The name of it is Whoosh Boom Splat It was pretty amusing but they have other books like that. If he's into that sort of thing. Or if he likes geekier things go to thinkgeek.com or perpetualkid.com

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I don't have very many gifts to buy, luckily.

My nephew, I figured I would give him an invitation for a fun day with me. I just need to find something fun to do on that day. Maybe go to the zoo, or go sledding. Any idea of what to do with a 4 year old boy?
He loves cars and trains (especially tires, for some reason). He is also fascinated by fish.

The one I'm really having trouble with is my niece. She's 18 months. Her parents are really encouraging "girl" stuff, like dolls, anything pink, etc. Well, she seems to like dolls but she has tons already. She has great motor skills for her age and she loves to figure out how things work. She's a little explorer.
Problem is, she already has tons of toys. My SIL runs a daycare, so it's hard to think of something she doesn't already have.
And I can't really do the same thing as with my nephew because my niece doesn't know me well enough for that.

For those of you who are trying to figure out what to give to someone who doesn't need anything in particular... why not give a charitable donations in their name? I know with Unicef you can buy cards explain what the money is used for (for example, you can get a card that says you gave money to pay for a child's education for a year, etc.). WWF sells symbolic adoption certificates (which come with an adorable stuffed animal).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

He sounds about as hard to shop for as my BF! LOL!
Um lets see could you make him a scrap book of all your times together?
Also could you snorkle instead of scuba dive? Dont know if its any different with asthma! You could make get him a nice snorkle set.
Um... does he like cars? You could get him a really nice car washing set? And maybe get him something police related. Just do a google search for gifts for cops. I'm sure theres a website for it somewhere!
Thanks hon! Those are some good ideas!
I would love to do the scrapbooking idea but i seriously can count the number of pictures of both of us on both hands - he's soooooooo camera shy!
(that's ok- i'm gonna get some good pics soon with the wedding comming up!
)

I may look and see if there's anything police related that he doesn't have that he might like. He just passed the motorcycle school not too long ago- so he may need some good riding equipment extras that they might not include! I like that idea! Thanks hon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ohhh i LOVE that idea! I could get him some really funny stuff he'd love off there!
I will DEFINTIELY do this one!
Thanks love!

Originally Posted by calico2222

He can still do a "Discover Scuba" class. It normally is a 3-4 hour class, and the student is shown the basic skills, and then taken by the hand and taken on a tour underwater. Maximum depth is 30' so you could snorkel on the survice and still participate...plus take pics to prove that he was actually scuba diving!

http://www.discoverscuba.net/discover.html

The link is to one specific dive shop, but check and see if they offer anything like that around you, or on your cruise.

Another option would be a print of your husband's ship (if he's sentimental). I got one for my husband and he loves it! I'll try to find the website where I got it if you're interested.
I love your ship idea!!! He was on the USS Enterprise so it would be really neat to get him something related to that!
(he doesn't know this- but i was planning to have his groomscake for the wedding in the shape of the Enterprise
he'll love it!) Aww i like that idea too!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Some of these are sooooo funny!!!!
(the cafepress "cop ones) some of them are too innapropriate to post links to since this is a family site- but these are pretty funny!

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/i+love+...t_/fpt_/c_666/

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cop+wif...t_/fpt_/c_666/

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cop+hum...t_/fpt_/c_666/

sooo funny! we have an ongoing joke about this line

Oh my goodness you guys have to see this one!
I will be buying this for my niece
He is sooo protective of her!

if we ever have a daughter- i will sooo get her this one!

these are just kind of sweet

this one's appropriate

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cop&#37...t_/pg_/c_/fpt_
awww....sweet, but too cheesy

Love the maternity shirt! I will have to get that one if we have kiddos!

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Ok I had an idea last night as I was falling asleep...

We are trying to save money so I was trying to think of crafty things to do with things I already have.

I make greeting cards, and I thought I could make little sets which include valentines numourous birthdays, thank yous, and blank cards, I was going to put them in a box and tie a ribbon aroud them. but hubby said its not a great idea as most people will open there presents around the people who they would give cards to, what do you think?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

We are trying to save money so I was trying to think of crafty things to do with things I already have.

I make greeting cards, and I thought I could make little sets which include valentines numourous birthdays, thank yous, and blank cards, I was going to put them in a box and tie a ribbon aroud them. but hubby said its not a great idea as most people will open there presents around the people who they would give cards to, what do you think?
Hmmm.. that might be a point. But I'm sure most people wouldnt mind. Maybe you could make them all a set that has just pictures of their family or something of that sorts? Or maybe a "voucher" to take their picture and make their family christmas cards for next year?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

I don't think that would be too much of an issue. I don't care if someone buys an expensive card for me or makes one themselves or gets a dollar store one. It matters that they thought to actually take the time and send me one or fill it out and hand it to me!

I think it would be a great idea to make them.
(then again that's just me, I'm not sure how your family would react, some people are wierd! :lol3)

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still need to figure out 3 more people for my list! Gah!
Anyone having any luck so far?