I really thought that he'd mellowed out...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that 8-Bit had mellowed out and become an self respecting adult cat with little to no issues. I was wrong. So wrong that I don't even know what to say.

Let me start off with this: we have a huge ant problem. So big in fact that I've done everything possible to get rid of them with out using chemicals. Yet, they keep coming. Today I found out why. 8-Bit has been taking bread on a daily basis and eating it behind the TV. I thought that my husband was using the heel of the loaf to make a quick garlic bread snack in the middle of the night while he is playing Team Fortress 2. Well he wasn't. 8-Bit has been going up to the top of the refrigerator, rooting around in the bread bag, taking out the heel, and making off with it as a kitty snack. He is literally a thief in the night. I witnessed this as I was making myself a cuppa of tea, and commented to my husband about it while hearing loud protests from my gray man. My husband thought that I had been making cheesy bread as MY midnight snack. We were both fooled.

My gray cat is back in action.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
He was waiting until your guard was down. Nice touch having you suspecting each other instead of him. We are in the presence of a master here.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear!

We had an awful time with ants in our house this year. I still don't know exactly what we did to get them to go away. I hope you can get rid of the pesky things now!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very clever of him! I'm starting to wonder if there's something about grey kitties and bread-stealing, Sonic is more brazen about it though - I was buttering a toasted muffin the other day and saw a slight movement on the plate - looked down and there was a little grey face wrapped around one of them trying to make off with it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Very clever of him! I'm starting to wonder if there's something about grey kitties and bread-stealing, Sonic is more brazen about it though - I was buttering a toasted muffin the other day and saw a slight movement on the plate - looked down and there was a little grey face wrapped around one of them trying to make off with it

It isn't just little gray babies, it's orange ones too! My sister-in-law's cat, Fred, is a ginger kitty. He's diabetic and needs a controlled diet low on carbs. Well, that kitty loves his carbs and when he was put on a diabetic diet he would sit on the counter by the toaster and steal the toast as soon as it popped up!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno. I think he was being kind of considerate, seeing as he's just been taking the heel of the bread.
He's just making sure nothing goes to waste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

He was waiting until your guard was down. Nice touch having you suspecting each other instead of him. We are in the presence of a master here.
No kidding. He really did have the two of us running in circles.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

We were long overdue for an 8-Bit antic.
I just wonder how long this has been going on. Was this the first week or the 20th? I just don't know.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly hope you have or will start an "8-Bit Diary". I'd bet you could get a publisher as well. 8-Bits antics are just as funny and some even better than anything I've ever read.

BTW - for the ants - just sprinkle some diatomaceous earth in your carpets (sweeping it down into the fibres) and around the baseboards (behind items to hide it if you wish). Diatomaceous earth (human/food grade) is very safe for you and your kitties and can even be ingested with more good than harm (gets rid of internal parasites).

I was having a problem with ants early in the spring, got the DE, put it across the doorways and around the kitchen baseboard - no more ants.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I honestly hope you have or will start an "8-Bit Diary". I'd bet you could get a publisher as well. 8-Bits antics are just as funny and some even better than anything I've ever read.

BTW - for the ants - just sprinkle some diatomaceous earth in your carpets (sweeping it down into the fibres) and around the baseboards (behind items to hide it if you wish). Diatomaceous earth (human/food grade) is very safe for you and your kitties and can even be ingested with more good than harm (gets rid of internal parasites).

I was having a problem with ants early in the spring, got the DE, put it across the doorways and around the kitchen baseboard - no more ants.
Thank you so much for the tip! I'll use it.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now that I have stopped laughing, have you tried putting bay leaves down in the area that the ants frequent? Thet are a natural deterant for ants.
Just you won't feel too badly, Big Mo goes crazy - and I mean crazy over the WW lemon snack cakes! He snorts, growls, drools, and generaly makes a fool of himself trying to get EVERY single crumb!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties are all thieves I'm sure. I was eating a piece of bread the other night with my usual 1/2 inch of butter on it when Bijou decided he wanted to lick the butter off. I gave him the little piece he licked and let him finish cleaning it all off. I figure it would help with any hairballs he might have.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, 8-Bit!! What a fellow.

An aside:
@ Linda's 1/2 inch of butter. Glad I'm not the only one who views bread as a vehicle for butter.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Oh, 8-Bit!! What a fellow.

An aside:
@ Linda's 1/2 inch of butter. Glad I'm not the only one who views bread as a vehicle for butter.
Hijack! Yes, and on the really fresh stuff right out of the oven I'm sure it's more than a 1/2 inch.
You should see the waitstaff's faces when I have a baked potato - just keep bring more butter and hold the sour cream.