Sprays or anything to help keep kitties off of Christmas Trees???

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have an artificial tree and I'm really worried about the cats going after the tree.

It's going up next week so I was wondering and hoping you experts could answer me if there's any sprays you can spray on artificial trees to keep kitties away.

I heard that if you put white pepper around the base that keeps them away, but I don't like that idea.

What about that apple cider spray stuff?

Any ideas???
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but my Sophie isn't the most well-behaved cat and I really don't want to see our tree torn to shreds.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last tree we had (3 Christmases ago) we used Boundary, but it was a real tree and the pine scent over-powered it after a few hours. It may take better to an artificial tree, but I warn you, it stinks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about this too! I've heard cats dislike citrus...maybe you could hang a little citrus car air freshner from some of the branches?

It is a good idea to get some floral wire and wire the ornaments onto the branches of the tree

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would avoid the moth balls as they are HIGHLY toxic even in very small amounts to cats.

With Mojo being around the Christmas tree this year
I'm thinking about making orange and lemon hanging air fresheners a prime ornament this year...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I would avoid the moth balls as they are HIGHLY toxic even in very small amounts to cats.

With Mojo being around the Christmas tree this year
I'm thinking about making orange and lemon hanging air fresheners a prime ornament this year...
wow! i had no idea about moth balls being toxic! Thanks for the info!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just told by someone to put dryer sheets around the base, as cats hate that smell.

So maybe I'll put dryer sheets all around under the tree skirt!!

Any other ideas would be great!!! I see we're all having this concern.

I know someone suggested spraying some kind of apple spray on wires to keep cats away so maybe spraying all the bottom branches??? I hope whoever suggested that reads this!!!!

My Sophie is going to take out that tree at first opportunity, I have to find some kind of aversion.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this on another site as well:

If its a plastic tree, a small amount of Citronella oil shaken into a bottle of water and misted on to the tree makes is smell unpleasant to the cat but fresh and citrus-like to you.
Everyone let me know what you're trying!!! Let's make this a "how-to" post with trial and error... lol
as I'm sure there will be a lot of error.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I was just told by someone to put dryer sheets around the base, as cats hate that smell.

So maybe I'll put dryer sheets all around under the tree skirt!!

Any other ideas would be great!!! I see we're all having this concern.

I know someone suggested spraying some kind of apple spray on wires to keep cats away so maybe spraying all the bottom branches??? I hope whoever suggested that reads this!!!!

My Sophie is going to take out that tree at first opportunity, I have to find some kind of aversion.
Is the apple spray you're refering to "Bitter Apple?" If so you can buy that at any of the local pet stores or online. It's supposed to nix the pets urge to chew on things (wires, christmas tree branches,etc.) Here's a link to what it looks like. As far as i know though -the bitter apple will only help keep them from chewing on the branches/etc...not necessarily climbing in the tree, but i could be wrong

http://www.bitterapple.com/
says dogs- but you can use it to keep kitties from chewing too i think
http://dogs.about.com/cs/toppicks/gr...r_apple_gr.htm

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, I will be buying that as well.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used the bitter apple spray one year, but couldn't stand the smell of it. I'm going to try the citrus route this year

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not bothered by the bitter apple scent. But they despise citrus. So I got a lemon scented air freshner. I sprayed some green fabric and hid it in the bottom tier of limbs. It didn't take long before they learned to stay away. In the meantime, attach a bolt or a screw to the ceiling and using heavy gage fishing line, tie the tree to the ceiling. It won't come crashing down so long as you use high test line. (made to fish for the heaviest fish out there!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch didn't mind chewing on the tree with the bitter apple unless I kept reapplying it, but it worked with one of my Mom's dogs. The best thing I kept doing was spraying the tree with an orange scented air freshener. It helped but I had to keep up with it or Mooch climbed. Last year I put the tree up in another room with a door, but it ruined the atmosphere. So I'm going to try something like the citrus scented sprays again this year. I like the idea of spraying some fabric with it. I wonder if the actual air fresheners might be better.

Also this year I decided to buy a small 3' tree and keep it on the kitchen table, instead of sticking my big tree up in the cold back study where we don't even go anymore. The little tree is small enough that I can move it too, so we'll see I guess!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i will try the citrus air fresheners in the tree, and fabric softener under the tree skirt, hopefullly that covers everything

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of chemicals, maybe the better citrus might be the old traditional orange-and-cloves decoration. You just wrap ribbon around an orange in two directions, as if wrapping a present... tie a knot and then a bow... poke whole cloves in neatly all around to stud the whole orange... and hang it up!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I tried dryer sheets and citrus it didn't work
Did you try what CarolPetunia suggested? Real fruits?
Dryer sheets was my thought. Benson doesn't like them. I found out when he tried climbing our closet and jumped down b/c of the smell.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Did you try what CarolPetunia suggested? Real fruits?
Dryer sheets was my thought. Benson doesn't like them. I found out when he tried climbing our closet and jumped down b/c of the smell.
I tried orange peels , nothing is stopping her

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Citrus doesn't work on my crew, either. I misted the tree with vinegar and that kept them off of it, pretty well.

Make sure that you have a tip-proof tree stand, too.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Citrus doesn't work on my crew, either. I misted the tree with vinegar and that kept them off of it, pretty well.

Make sure that you have a tip-proof tree stand, too.
I guess I will go buy some vinegar tomorrow, at this point I will try almost anything

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try my own orange-and-clove idea, but then St. John came over to me at breakfast the other day and insisted on licking orange juice off my fingers. He loved it!

I'm afraid of dryer sheets -- at least one of our kitties (Sassy) will chew them up and try to swallow them. And I absolutely cannot stand the smell of citronella! Blecchptui!

So I've used floral wire to secure everything, including the tree itself (to the fireplace surround)... and because I don't want the kitties to get hurt, I used my jewelry-making roundtip pliers to make tight little coils at the ends of all the wires. No exposed tips.

It's tough, having Christmas with kitties... but they're sooo worth it!