Question about carriers...

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a confession. I have a bag obesssion. I have TONS of diaper bags (which I now need to thin out because I am ready to move on from that stage in life lol ie no more babies for us).
Anyway, I have a perfectly good carrier, a pet taxi, medium sized. But I have seen all the cute animal bags that are carriers.
Does anyone here use them? Is it practical? And I am talking just trips to the vet.
Thanks.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

this is what I meant:
http://www.petco.com/product/101387/...n-Carrier.aspx
something like that, that is a soft carrier right?
That's what I call a soft carrier... and I have 2 of them and love them. I find they are much easier to handle than the plastic ones and the kitties seem more comfortable in them. It'd be a great way to recycle some of your old diaper bags... just remember to make at least one side mesh so they have air movement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

That's what I call a soft carrier... and I have 2 of them and love them. I find they are much easier to handle than the plastic ones and the kitties seem more comfortable in them. It'd be a great way to recycle some of your old diaper bags... just remember to make at least one side mesh so they have air movement.
Wow, I wish I was that crafty! I meant I need to give away my old diaper bags (or sell them) and buy a new soft sided cat carrier LOL!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

Wow, I wish I was that crafty! I meant I need to give away my old diaper bags (or sell them) and buy a new soft sided cat carrier LOL!
I'm only that crafty in my head... ya know, sounds good on paper. If I was ever brave enough to try it I'd either butcher it or never get it finished.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have soft carries for our furkids and they love them.
Both ends are mesh.

They were all scared to death of the plastic carriers, but nobody is scared of the soft ones.
I just open them up and they go right in...even Annabelle who used to be all teeth and claws when we tried to put her in the plastic ones.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are considering using the more open bag for the cat, I'd say don't do it. Dogs can be more trained to "stay" in a bag. I'm not risking my cat to stay in one of those bags if they choose to jump out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you are considering using the more open bag for the cat, I'd say don't do it. Dogs can be more trained to "stay" in a bag. I'm not risking my cat to stay in one of those bags if they choose to jump out!
I know what you mean. The one's I have been looking at can be zipped closed, there are no openings (unless you want to leave them open).

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Dharma, my good friend bought me a Sherpa bag to bring Dharma home in. (a wonderful gift - it was about $50-60, if I remember). We got it in the dog department at Petsmart - I think it was the medium sized one. It zippers from the top and side, and has a removable lambs wool pad on the bottom. It's soft sided and the cats can see out the sides and top. Very sturdy - even my big 13 pound boy is easy to carry in it.

I only go to the vet, but both my cats love it - I usually put it out a week or so prior to our trips, and I've seen both cats sleep in it.

I've seen Sherpa bags in the cat section now at Petsmart - more colors than the basic black I've got. Honestly, if I have any holiday money left over this year, I'm going to buy another one.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

When I adopted Dharma, my good friend bought me a Sherpa bag to bring Dharma home in. (a wonderful gift - it was about $50-60, if I remember). We got it in the dog department at Petsmart - I think it was the medium sized one. It zippers from the top and side, and has a removable lambs wool pad on the bottom. It's soft sided and the cats can see out the sides and top. Very sturdy - even my big 13 pound boy is easy to carry in it.
Mine are a low quality version of the sherpa bag but with all the same features and it easily handled Wickett who weighed in at a whopping 15.4 lbs a few weeks ago. It was a little snug for him but he can turn around in it and he like small spaces anyway.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only concern with a soft carrier is that both my boys are so afraid while in their carriers in the car that they urinate. I have to place a towel in the carrier with them for the absorbtion! What would happen in a soft carrier?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

My only concern with a soft carrier is that both my boys are so afraid while in their carriers in the car that they urinate. I have to place a towel in the carrier with them for the absorbtion! What would happen in a soft carrier?
Mine is washable with a damp cloth I believe. It does also come with a covered bottom. Hmm... there's an insert in the bottom that has a wool cover on it. Well, I can take the insert out and take the cover off to wash it. You could also put a towel in the bottom of a soft carrier just make sure the carrier is nylon or some other material that can be washed.

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess a soft carrier would be easier to handle if you're walking to the vet? My vet is a 15 - 20 minute walk away and I don't have a car, so I usually just carry them in the carrier with my brother to help out. I just got a bigger one with an easily removable top for bringing both at once (they're due for spaying and neutering and I want them to go at the same time as that way they will both be feeling bad together etc!), but I find it's a bit hard to carry now. I do have a bicycle wagon, which I got for bringing the dog out and have never used yet, so I guess I could put them in there.

I put the old carrier out for them when they were kittens and the whole family (big mother and four kittens) used to take naps in it, so they're not scared of carriers at all. As a matter of fact, after I brought the little girl to the vet last Thursday (both kittens were pretty sick last week) she just stayed in it after we got home and slept in it for the next two days.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine got me a soft carrier, and I like it very much. It folds up when not in use, important in a small apartment like ours, and the cats seem to object to it less. I can hold them in it and that seems to calm them down.

Believe me, they are completely washable. I was bringing the kitten home in mine when the deworming medicine hit. All I could do was roll down the windows

He was at one end and the mess was at the other, so I thought I was getting off light, until a deer jumped out in front of me. I managed to avoid him, but even though I had secured the carrier in the back, the poor kitten got rolled around a bit.

The best part was when the downstairs neighbors rushed over to have a look at the new kitten; and recoiled in horror
Not that I blame them, he wasn't presentable.

But he, and the carrier, cleaned up just fine.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
< have to place a towel in the carrier with them for the absorbtion! What would happen in a soft carrier?>

What about those pads they have for house training puppies - piddle pads or something? I wonder if those would work. I've been lucky - my vet is a 5 minute drive away - my little girl cries the whole way, my boy is stoic but concerned. So far, no accidents!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tsorcus

I guess a soft carrier would be easier to handle if you're walking to the vet? My vet is a 15 - 20 minute walk away and I don't have a car, so I usually just carry them in the carrier with my brother to help out. I just got a bigger one with an easily removable top for bringing both at once (they're due for spaying and neutering and I want them to go at the same time as that way they will both be feeling bad together etc!), but I find it's a bit hard to carry now. I do have a bicycle wagon, which I got for bringing the dog out and have never used yet, so I guess I could put them in there.

I put the old carrier out for them when they were kittens and the whole family (big mother and four kittens) used to take naps in it, so they're not scared of carriers at all. As a matter of fact, after I brought the little girl to the vet last Thursday (both kittens were pretty sick last week) she just stayed in it after we got home and slept in it for the next two days.
I've seen backpack formed carriers. I'd look at one of those if you're primarily walking them.
Also the sherpas (and I think some of the cheaper brands too) have a dufflebag strap option which I have been known to strap across my chest when walking longer distances.

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A backpack one would be best (unless they have an accident on the way...
), but I haven't actually seen one to buy around here. Hmm, must look on ebay...