Stray with kittens

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a stray cat with kittens in my garage, found the kittens homes, wanting to keep the mother she's adorable very friendly but when it comes to our other 2 cats she goes crazy and will attack..

Im curious if i get her fixed and after she realizes her little ones won't be coming back wll she stop with the crazy intense attackingg.... it gets pretty bad...

anyone have any info for me plz...

Thanks ...

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spaying might help, as will knowing where her regular meals are coming from. You'll also want to make sure that she's up-to-date on her shots and have her tested for FeLV just to be sure that she's not a risk to your kitties.

Have you tried introducing her *gradually* to your other kitties? DH didn't want to do this with Molly and it's been a complete disaster. We're trying vanilla now, and Baloo is settling into "his" room okay, pending complete introductions. Molly was a feral and Baloo a stray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
some what, I have her in the basement right now.. Ive brought Moe( my cat) downstairs in my arms and they just hiss but if he's on the floor and even looks at her wrong she will attack and its not pretty

unless " gradually" means something else

Moe loves everyone Im surprised he hiss's at her, I think he's upset he doesnt have the basement/treehouse atm

thanks for the reply!!

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'd say start with keeping them separated like that, let the new cat get comfortable in the basement for a while. then get her to come to the top of the stairs (put food inside the door, keeping the door closed). put food in front of the door so you resident cats will come over. the two cat groups will be able to smell each other without touching. this will get them used to each other. at some point you may want to swap, put the resident cats in the basement and the new cat in the house.

basically, they'll be able to deal with each other when they get used to smelling each other. slowly let the new cat up into the house and supervise them if they see each other. it takes some time but cats need such gradual introduction a lot of the time. be patient and good luck!

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot!!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also keep in mind that, being stray, she might have had some bad cat experiences outside. Molly's like that. She's not comfortable around the boys, but she's fine with Reagan (who's one of the most easygoing cats I've ever encountered!).

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its a sad day...
she attacked moe pretty bad cut his face and ear open.. She's the most adorable cat otherwise ... my house isnt that big so I thought it would be best to bring her to the humane society... Wish I didnt have to...but they said it could be like this for weeks or months or she might not change ever..

They said they tried putting her in the same cage as the kittens and she freaked on them.. I guess all the movement and stuff she's really stressed..

Im really sad today and its all bc someone else's stupidity..

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moez

Its a sad day...
she attacked moe pretty bad cut his face and ear open.. She's the most adorable cat otherwise ... my house isnt that big so I thought it would be best to bring her to the humane society... Wish I didnt have to...but they said it could be like this for weeks or months or she might not change ever..

They said they tried putting her in the same cage as the kittens and she freaked on them.. I guess all the movement and stuff she's really stressed..

Im really sad today and its all bc someone else's stupidity..
reading this over and thinking about today, its safe to say im a failure.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A failure? Why?

You succeeded in doing something that somebody else didn't do for her. You gave her a *chance*! You took her into your life and tried to give her a home. And when it didn't work out, when she wasn't able to calm down around the other cats, you did what whoever dumped her or her parents *didn't* do. You gave her the chance of being adopted.

It's not going to work every single time. Not everybody is *able* to take a stray or a feral into their home and give them a forever home. That's why some of us foster, and some of us simply feed outdoors. We do what we *can*. I don't think that anybody who gives these kitties a chance is a failure. In fact, I think that those of us here, working hard for these kitties, are some of the greatest and most amazing *success* stories I've ever known.

Congratulations for giving her a chance. Good for you! You didn't fail. You did what was necessary for the good of the animals involved -- not everybody has that strength and courage.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that's too bad (hope Moe is okay!), but it's true, you're giving these cats a chance they would never have otherwise. i assume your shelter will find her a good home. i too had a mom with kittens i took in, and when the kittens were old enough she HATED being around them, and soon she hated being around any of the cats. she basically turned on her growler and just walked around all day, growling at everyone all the time. as sweet as she could be, we knew she needed to live alone, so we found her a new owner and she's much happier (and less stressed!) there. it can be frustrating and disappointing, but we can't be all things to all cats sometimes!

moez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
guys,thanks you really did make me feel better... I was pretty upset, It was almost like I let her down or something

I called the humane society today and he said she was adopted! he said im really lucky, they have over 150 cats.. some have been there a long time..