Chin Acne and wet food correlation?

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly has within the past few weeks developed chin acne. She's now 4 and has never had it before. Her bowls are glass (human bowls), are changed and washed in the dishwasher after each meal - and her dishes are placed on white paper towels on the floor which get changed at least once a day.

I was thinking that it could possibly be a food allergy to switching her over to Evo about two months ago. HOWEVER, I have noticed that since changing her to Evo kibbles that her previous dandruff problem has almost totally gone away, she's shedding less, losing a very slight bit of weight (which is good) and also has not gotten any little "crusty" lesions on her ears and above her eyes. Additionally she has not had an asthma attack since I've switched food and has had no stomach problems either.

In the past she was eating Science Diet Advanced Nutrition dry (cause her vet at the time said it was the best food for cats). When we adopted Forrest my new Vet suggested Wellness or Evo for the both the cats. Both cats eat the Evo kibbles and little Forrest also gets either Wellness Kitten canned or Evo canned.
For years I've tried to get Lilly to eat canned but she had absolutely no interest in it at all, but now that Forrest is getting the wet food she seems to be starting to take an interest in it by finishing off whatever Forrest leaves in his bowl. I really would like to switch them over to a totally wet diet and am happy that Lilly is finally taking an interest in wet foods. But now the acne

Could it be that snacking on a small bit of the canned Wellness Kitten and/or Evo has gotten her chin greasy and making her break out? The chin is getting a little better as I'm cleaning it 2 x's a day. But it is still worrisome.

Anyone else notice acne when feeding wet food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed dish soaps??

Yes a allergy can cause this ... try a simple formula ... one meat and one grain or starch/..
ie chn chicken liver oatmeal ./.... not chn, turkey , beef liver , rice and barley

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I so hoped it wouldn't be caused by an allergy. It's been difficult to find a decent dry that both cat and kitten can eat and that both like. I was so happy that Lilly was taking an interest into wet food too. Other than the acne her dandruff, shedding and other issues have cleared up on the Evo.

Have you changed dish soaps??
Nothing in my kitchen but I did start using a new body butter on myself about 3 weeks ago. I use this daily all over me.
Could it be that since Lilly sleeps on me all night and spends the day on my lap while I work that this could affect her? I'll stop using it to see if there is an improvement. I don't want my skin to be the cause of the problem.

If no improvement in a few weeks I'll try changing her diet. It's difficult because Lilly's always had dry kibbles available all day and little Forrest eats her food and then wont eat his.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth....all of my cat's chin acne seemed to be allergy induced, and was associated with a dry food allergy. I've never had a problem with chin acne and canned foods. I only use Corelle salad plates to feed with and Pyrex bowls for drinking water. All are soaked with a very dilute bleach solution after the dishsoap washing, and rinsed VERY well and thoroughly dried before use.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

For what it's worth....all of my cat's chin acne that was allergy induced, was because of a dry food allergy. I've never had a problem with chin acne and canned foods. I only use Corelle salad plates to feed with and Pyrex bowls for drinking water. All are soaked with a very dilute bleach solution after the dishsoap washing, and rinsed VERY well and thoroughly dried before use.
dry food is more likely do to be crumbly ... unless very long haired wet falls out easier

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses.

Sharky....do you think that just switching to the Evo cat n' kitten canned and phase out the Evo dry would help?...or will I still need to switch to a simple canned formula? I'd really like them to eat wet only and now that Lilly seems to be taking an interest in it perhaps it's a good time to switch.

Both cats eat each other's food and I need something that it good for both adult and kitten (Forrest is about 6.5 months old). I don't always have time to sit with them when they eat to make sure they stay at their own bowls and I want to ensure that Forrest gets the nutrition he needs for growing.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple more thoughts....

After the comments about dry food being "crumbly" I have noticed that the Evo dry is much softer than other dry foods I've seen. Even in the bag there are many broken kibble. I really notice lot's of little crumbs left in the bottom of the bowl that the cats won't eat and stuck all over the sides of the bowls also. I never ever saw anything like this when I was feeding the SD dry. Perhaps this is causing the issue with Lilly and her chin?

I'm really happy with the improvement in her asthma and other skin issues while on the Evo - so I hate to have to totally find something different unless necessary.

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat got chin acne I hadn't changed anything at all. He just got it. It got so bad that we had to put him on antibiotics. It went aways and hasn't been back since.

teneff88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure. It's actually been opposite for my cat. He lived his whole life on dry food. Then within the past year, he was getting really bad chin acne. He would scratch at it and make it bleed. He started showing signs of diabetes so I switched him to all wet food and his acne went away. I guess diabetes makes ur body less able to heal itself, so switching him to a better diet made his body healthy enough to heal the acne.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would see about removing the dry... but in my house the dog was the only EVO able eater and she could eat the dry but not the wet.. go figure

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky.

Lilly already likes snacking on the canned Evo with no stomach problems thankfully. I've tried so many different canned foods for her and she just would not touch any of them except for the Evo and the Wellness Kitten that Forrest eats. It gets expensive buying food and then just having to throw it away. She's quite the picky eater. Little Forrest will consume anything. He's a little feline vacuum

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Thanks Sharky.

Lilly already likes snacking on the canned Evo with no stomach problems thankfully. I've tried so many different canned foods for her and she just would not touch any of them except for the Evo and the Wellness Kitten that Forrest eats. It gets expensive buying food and then just having to throw it away. She's quite the picky eater. Little Forrest will consume anything. He's a little feline vacuum
FYI dog and cat EVO are identical... sometimes buying the big dog cans can save 50%

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dog & Cat Evo canned the same? Good! That should save some money then. The look on my husbands face will be priceless the first time he sees a can of dog food in the fridge after it's opened.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Dog & Cat Evo canned the same? Good! That should save some money then. The look on my husbands face will be priceless the first time he sees a can of dog food in the fridge after it's opened.
I would like a pic
.. yes you can go to the website and compare or in store
it helps prove dogs and cats need nearly identical diets