Do you hang up or listen?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had some stupid place calling, updating our business listing on the yellow pages online or something. 5x already today. You'd think after the first few times I hung up on them they'd get the point?
I kept telling them we did not want to be listed with them & would hang up. (I won't give out business info over the phone)

I finally told them if they called again, I was going to report this to my manager & we planned to take appropriate actions to ensure that our rights were never violated again & we were taken off the listing, as I had asked.

Suppose they're going to call again?

What do you do when you get calls like that

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to listen and try to be polite, but that doesn't seem to work.
So now I just hang up!

~KK~

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't answer the phone. Thank goodness for caller ID, saves me alot of unwanted calls.

At work, I just tell them, that we are a business and I don't have time to deal with them and leave it at that.

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I am at work and I get a call like that I tell them they have to call the corporate office. They always say 'oh' and hang up. Never to call again, or at least until next quarter or the next year.

If it a recording I always hang up.

Where I used to work, we had 6 lines coming into the store. Once we had someone doing blind calling and called all 6 lines one after the other. After the 3 time he called and I answered he would hang up when he heard my voice.

At home I tell them not interested twice and to take me off the list. If they keep at the spiel, I hang up. Now that I have a VoIP for my phone, there is an option to not let numbers without caller id info through. makes for a nice quiet day

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have worked in telesales.

You *must* tell them to "take me off your list." If you do *not* use the word "list," they can continue to call as often as necessary until you listen to them.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If we were told "don't call here again" before we were done with our intro, we could reschedule the call. If we heard those words after the intro was given, we'd call back about three months later.

*However*! If somebody said "put me on your do not call list" or "take me off your list" we would comply with their wishes and never call them again.

I'm almost certain that this is federal law in the U.S, meaning that it wasn't just a company policy.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've had some stupid place calling, updating our business listing on the yellow pages online or something. 5x already today. You'd think after the first few times I hung up on them they'd get the point?
I kept telling them we did not want to be listed with them & would hang up. (I won't give out business info over the phone)

I finally told them if they called again, I was going to report this to my manager & we planned to take appropriate actions to ensure that our rights were never violated again & we were taken off the listing, as I had asked.

Suppose they're going to call again?

What do you do when you get calls like that
I selected other. And this is the reason.

Stop calling my beeping number before i throw this beeping phone at your head!!! Oh yes..and if you call again i'm going to hunt you down and steal your pants.

Silly people.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

If we were told "don't call here again" before we were done with our intro, we could reschedule the call. If we heard those words after the intro was given, we'd call back about three months later.

*However*! If somebody said "put me on your do not call list" or "take me off your list" we would comply with their wishes and never call them again.

I'm almost certain that this is federal law in the U.S, meaning that it wasn't just a company policy.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for non profits.

A local orchestra to Michigan called me for 5 years!!! At first I told them that I'm on the DNC list, which they promptly replied that the DNC list does not effect non-profits. So then I told them to take me off their list (yes I did use key words). Still called me back every year (when season tickets went on sale).

I was glad to tell them this past fall that i had moved. I haven't heard from them since.

Now I have some Clean water agency calling me about every other day.
I traded.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At work, we might say once that we're not interested. If they call back again they get put on hold. Until they hang up. Even if it's 10min. My coworker used to work in a call center and she said that the callers have to be really careful about their call time, so if they are put on hold they have to hang up eventually. I actually don't mind the phone calls much, it's the door to door crap that gets me steamed. We had the same saleperson come in about 7 times in one month. Each time we said we weren't intersted. sigh.

I only have a cell phone for personal use and haven't gotten any calls.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do crazy things when those people decided they do not want to listen when I tell them not to call back. . . like threaten to burn down their building if they call again. . . I hate when they call back after I tell them to go take a hike! It makes me insane!

bubbles531

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbor listens to them very politely, especially if it's a Time Share sales pitch. He then asks if he has to bring his wife to see the time share property. Then goes on to
say he'd rather bring his girlfriend since he and his wife aren't speaking to each other!!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This why I have voicemail/caller Id. If don't know the number calling, I don't answer and if it's important they can leave me a message.

If by some chance i DO answer though, I'll likely hang up.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're on the DNC list, but as someone else said this apparently does not apply to Non-Profits.
I got a phone call like this today.
She started her pitch and I just laid down the phone and kept on doing my housework...she got it at some point because she did hang up.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well it depends,

if i dont have time i just hang up. if i have time, i abuse them a little.
like the time i kept a basement water protection place on the phone for about 45 min, and when she asked what time they could come over, i told them they would need to call and speak to the apartment manager

boy she did not even say bye to me

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you register your number with this link:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

by law, they cannot contact you any more.

If by chance one of them slips through, that's where the caller-ID comes in handy!

~KK~

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally I don't work in the office and if I do I don't answer the phones. Whoever does usually hangs up the instant they hear it isn't a client or similar. I only use my cellphone and if I get an unknown number I stop by whitepages.com and do a reverse phone lookup to see if it's someone I actually want to call back or answer next time. I was required to pay for at least basic phone service to get dsl internet so that they have a phone number to bill it to but I refuse to plug in my phone.
It's sitting there with the cord dangling off the table. If you want to get ahold of me it's gotta be cellphone or email. People not in my phone are better off using email and rarely does any junk mail get through my gmail account to bother me.