How to keep other cats out?!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having a problem with the two cats next door coming in, trying to get into the house every time I open the back door to eat Harry's food, pooing all over the garden and fighting with Harry. I'm at the end of my tether as I've already complained 3 times to the neighbours to no avail. I'm actually really angry about the lack of care they seem to give their cats. They are not underweight but they spend all their time camped outside my back door.

The last resort will be to get cat proof fencing but are there any other suggestions to keep them out of my garden? I'm not keen to use a water bottle even though they're not my cats.

Anything at this stage would be great. I just want to point out that if they were strays I'd take them in but they have owners, collars etc.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does human urine work with cats? I know that it can work with dogs and am almost certain that it works with deer.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat fencing is your only recourse. It will help keep your kitty contained as well.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does Harry ever leave your property? If not, then you might be able to complain to the police. At least where I live, pet owners are responsible for keeping their pets contained, especially if there are complaints about the animals. If Harry leaves your yard then you really don't have a leg to stand on unless you keep him contained as well.

Involving the police isn't the ideal solution, but is a possibility.

Mez

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

Does Harry ever leave your property? If not, then you might be able to complain to the police. At least where I live, pet owners are responsible for keeping their pets contained, especially if there are complaints about the animals. If Harry leaves your yard then you really don't have a leg to stand on unless you keep him contained as well.

Involving the police isn't the ideal solution, but is a possibility.

Mez
I don't know about Ireland, but that's not the case everywhere. In England there's what they call a 'free spirit' clause which basically lets cat owners off the hook when it comes to damage of other people's property and free roaming. You can't be done for anything your cat gets up to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is no law in Ireland to help. The only course of action I could take is call the SPCA but they will only take action if the cats are malnourished or being beaten. I'm very glad that is not happening!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'd be using a garden hose or water bottle if those cats kept coming to my house and bothering my cats. Do you have any cats that are not neutered/spayed? Are these cats neutered?

You've complained to the neighbors with no success. I'd really use the hose/water bottle - it won't hurt them but you have to make it unpleasant for them to hang out at your back door!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well I'd be using a garden hose or water bottle if those cats kept coming to my house and bothering my cats. Do you have any cats that are not neutered/spayed? Are these cats neutered?

You've complained to the neighbors with no success. I'd really use the hose/water bottle - it won't hurt them but you have to make it unpleasant for them to hang out at your back door!
I've been advised to do that by several people so I think I must give in and do it. All cats are neutered/spayed, both the ones that come in and my cat. It's lashing rain today so there is no sign of them. The thing is, I do feel sorry for them but I can't have them hassling my cat!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its kinda like you protect your children against bullys - human or animal

That's why in the US a lot of people keep cats indoors their entire lives with no problems nor does it hurt the cats. I love England/Ireland, but probably would not live there unless I built a cat run or enclosure in the backyard - I don't want my cats to be roaming outside unsupervised - too many dangers IMO.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its kinda like you protect your children against bullys - human or animal

That's why in the US a lot of people keep cats indoors their entire lives with no problems nor does it hurt the cats. I love England/Ireland, but probably would not live there unless I built a cat run or enclosure in the backyard - I don't want my cats to be roaming outside unsupervised - too many dangers IMO.
We've had cats all my life who have had both indoor and outdoor access and the 2 that died did so of natural causes....once you make it relatively safe for them to be outside and give them plenty of inside access there is no problem. I would NEVER let a cat outside by itself if I lived on a busy road. The problem is the neighbours; Harry will happily go outside for an hour or two and not stray far. They leave their cats outside at least 16 hours of the day if not more.

I do fear something happening Harry when he is outside but every time I call him he is straight back to me. This could change but for now I know he has reasonably safe outside access and I don't want to take this away from him.

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last cat, Dancer, suffered a lot with other cats annoying her when we first moved into town from the country when she was about two and a half, she got really stressed about it for a while. The neighbour's cats are probably attracted by the fact that they managed to steal your kitten's food once or twice and hope to do it again, maybe if you make sure they never get anything again they might give up in the end...

People in Ireland can have strange ideas of cat care, one of my colleagues told me that he just can't think of cats as belonging in a house! And said that he'd never heard of anyone vaccinating their cats either...

My two enjoy an excellent relationship with the neighbours, as they also fed their mother (who thinks she belongs to the entire estate) before they were born and give them breakfast on occasion as they get up before I do! (I work nights and come home at around half eight.)

You do worry about them a bit more if you lt them out, but watching them having great fun running around the garden makes it worthwhile. I could probably survive perfectly healthily and happily if I was never let out - but I wouldn't want to live like that and I don't expect my cats to either!

How old is Harry? he looks very young still in his picture. Your older two cats should be able to teach him a bit of sense anyhow, the mother cat is very good at showing my two the ropes.

You've got a gorgeous black cat collection there!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tsorcus

How old is Harry? he looks very young still in his picture. Your older two cats should be able to teach him a bit of sense anyhow, the mother cat is very good at showing my two the ropes.

You've got a gorgeous black cat collection there!
He is 7 months; that was taken when he was only 8 weeks just after we got him. The other two cats live with my parents. Thanks for the compliment; I adore them all!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so stupid. I threw water at the two cats as advised and one looked at me in pure shock, the other didn't even seem to notice and still tried to get in! He just seemed so hungry so I gave them some dry food. I will never ever ever get rid of them now..............

I just felt so guilty and I can't do things like that to cats.