Green Tea

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to have a different tea tonight. Usually I have Celestial berry blend.

I have a box of green tea. The kind in individual sealed packets to stay fresh. So I decided to try it. It's been there for probably years. But the packets are foil and sealed, so they are still fresh.

I tried it plain, and it was so awful! So I added a couple teaspoons of Splenda to it (same amount as I add to a berry blend tea), and it's still awful!

How on earth do people drink this stuff?! It's supposed to have lots of antioxidents to help fight cancer and heart disease, but .. blech!

Any tips on making this stuff more palatable?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love green tea! It does have an interesting taste and for me, it was an acquired taste. I don't add anything to mine, but what about honey? Or trying the other flavours of green tea, like Jasmine?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love green tea ... Yerba in a green is wonderful

the berry blend is likely NOT true tea but a herbal blend

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is an acquired taste, regular tea was for me. Add honey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I'll keep at it. There have been foods that I have had that I didn't care for at first but eventually acquired a taste for it. Can't recall what they are now either.

It is awful with Splenda. Next time I'll try with some honey and if that is awful I'll work on having it plain.

I also tend to leave the tea bags in the pot while I'm pouring and drinking the tea. So maybe that is the problem with this tea. Next time I'll swish the bags around a few times and then take them out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think green tea tastes awful, too.
It's the aftertaste, it just doesn't taste right at all.

White tea is also supposed to be very healthy, I haven't tried that yet but you can get that with different flavored blends.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

green tea is not really a Tea. or so have been told.
but i like it.
It is, just not processed like black tea.

I love green tea too, it just takes a while to get used to.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't like the bitterness of the green tea, then don't drink yerba mate.

White tea is lovely - it has a lighter taste than green.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try white tea if you dislike green tea. White tea is just baby tea leaves (green tea) before it ripens. It's a little sweeter and has a better taste. It also is a bit better for you!

I love green tea though. My guess is that the stuff you have probably isn't soo fresh if you've had it for years (even if it's sealed- it still won't be fresh). I'd start over with some new stuff

I like my green tea with honey, a pinch of lemon juice or lime juice- fresh slices if i have it, and a slice of orange! It's also really yummy with just a tinsy pinch of nutmeg added to it!
It's sooo yummy! Don't use artificial sugars/etc- it won't taste good in it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

My guess is that the stuff you have probably isn't soo fresh if you've had it for years (even if it's sealed- it still won't be fresh). I'd start over with some new stuff
I'm not going to buy another box until I decide if I like it enough to keep drinking it. I think I saw some individual packets of tea at Starbucks, so I'll look there the next time I'm at Safeway. If there is some Green Tea I'll buy a bag or two and try that.

So far I'm at the "yucky" stage,

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm not going to buy another box until I decide if I like it enough to keep drinking it. I think I saw some individual packets of tea at Starbucks, so I'll look there the next time I'm at Safeway. If there is some Green Tea I'll buy a bag or two and try that.

So far I'm at the "yucky" stage,
The "yucky" stage will pass!
For me, i've always loved Green teas- but over the past few years i've started to experiment with it more and try to add new things to it- that makes it even better!

I think my fav combo is the green tea with some honey, a slice of orange, a slice of lemon, and a slice of lime...then i add just a pinch of nutmeg to it for a little rich kick!
If there's something you really love flavor wise or spice wise- you might want to try adding a little pinch to it and see what you can come up with!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care for nutmeg (or cloves or cinnamon. I will eat cinnamon buns though, but I won't have cinnamon with anything else). So I'll have to find a different spice to put in, or maybe just try the citrus with some honey.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm maybe swing buy a coffee shop or something and see if they have freash green tea.
I been trying to make cold green tea, but never could get that to turn out.

As a matter of fact i am drinkign some green tea right now, but i dont user surger or honey with mine, i dont normaly drink tea with surger anyway.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only like green tea with honey and lemon and usually not made at home, i only like the store bought stuff!