I'm sick :(

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the doctor's on Friday to get my flu shot.

I use public transportation for disabled people and I have to supply a return pickup time.

My doctor appointment was for 2:30pm. I figured it's just a flu shot and add in waiting time which is inevitable, that 4pm would be a safe time to give for my return home. Usually they end up picking you up later than the time you give them, except for Friday. For some reason they were able to schedule it for 4pm on the dot!

At 3:50pm I still hadn't been in to see him and there were still 3 people ahead of me. I told his assistant that I had a scheduled ride at 4pm and all I was getting was a simple flu shot. A 1 minute procedure and then I'm done. She told me that they have to go by the schedule!

I was ticked about that because last year when I was there for not only my flu shot but other stuff, there were 4 people who booked after me for just flu shots and I was asked if these 4 people could go ahead of me. I graciously said yes. Now this year the girl wouldn't even do that same thing for me!

I couldn't stick around because my ride was waiting and if they leave then I am stuck there and have to find my own way home IE: a $20.00 cab ride which I can't afford. So I left and told the girl why. She didn't seem to care.

On Saturday I started to get a runny nose, and then yesterday it was running and stuffy, and I was freezing even when laying in my nice warm waterbed. Today I have a scratchy sore throat, itchy ears and my voice is hoarse and I'm coughing a little.

Not only did I waste my time sitting in my doctor's office for 2 hours for nothing, but it was around a bunch of sick people and now I'm sick!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks
The freezing thing has me concerned. With a cold you don't get a temperature. So I'm hoping it's not the flu. This will be the first year in in more than a decade that I haven't gotten a flu shot

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Thanks
The freezing thing has me concerned. With a cold you don't get a temperature. So I'm hoping it's not the flu. This will be the first year in in more than a decade that I haven't gotten a flu shot
Can you not go back on a different day?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible!!!! I'm feeling crappy too.
So you aren't suffering alone. I'm almost positive that I have an ear infection.

Don't you just want to were a breathing mask when you go into the doc's office. Our small doctor's office in my home town actually hands out the nose/mouth mask for people if they want them!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww sweetie, i'm soo sorry you're sick!
You poor thing! Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon though! Stay hydrated and take your vitamins!

Are you going to be able to reschedule to get your flu shot when you're feeling better? I would be sooo mad if i had to wait that long and then didn't wind up getting a shot, but instead a cold.
Could you maybe try seeing if your area has a shot nurse office or check and see if any grocery stores/etc offer flu shots? I know where i live, we have a local place called "shots on the spot" or something like that where the shot nurses drive to different locations/etc (maybe you could see if any make house calls?) Our local grocery stores pharmacy offer them too on certain days ! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Can you not go back on a different day?
You can't get a flu shot if you are sick.

I had planned on calling the hospital I work at to see if they still have flu shot clinics going on for the staff. If they did I was going to pop in and get one. But now that I'm sick I can't do that until I'm better, and if it's the flu I have then it's pointless to get the shot.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would contact the doctor and explain what happened with the lady doing the scheduling.

I recently had an issue with my doctor during a visit and went home, stewed about it for a couple days and decided to write him a letter of my concerns. Three days after mailing, on a Sunday night no less, he called me at home and we talked and cleared up the misunderstanding.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Thanks
I'm sorry to hear about this. It wasn't fair to you!

You may have the flu--do you have a fever? You usually don't get a fever with a cold.

Someone suggested going back to re-schedule the shot: will they still have the vaccine? Can you call the Dr., explain what happened, and ask if they'll reserve some for you? Also, they most likely won't give you the flu shot if you've been sick within 7 days of the scheduled shot. Make sure you tell them you've been sick, and ask their advice (you don't want to have to go through this all over again--this happened to me last year).

Sending you a big hug and lots of get-well wishes!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are sick, I hope you feel better soon, that girl was rude, I am sure they could have made an exception to their schedule.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would contact the doctor and explain what happened with the lady doing the scheduling.
I agree. If I were the doctor, I would want to know that one of my staff is being inconsiderate, inflexible, and uncaring toward patients. I'm so sorry for the frustration you go through with this transportation issue! It must be terribly hard...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope your feeling better!!!

I never get the flu shot, the reason being , the 4 times i got the shot, i got the flu.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get well soon!
I never get the shot either theimp.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say we hope you feel better!

Heres Tons of For you to not be sick!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An hour and a half to wait for a flu shot that's NUTS! The nurse should have been able to give it to you in the first 5 minutes, the only reason they scedualed you with a doctor is to be able to claim it as a doctors visit with your insurance and be able to get more money. I would make a formal complaint.