My cat has FIP, How do I comfort him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Glitch was diagnosed with FIP last week and now Im playing the waiting game of when is it time. I just want to make him comfortable but with his belly that big I dont know if its possible!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone here who knows anything about how to comfort a cat with FIP

-Amber

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did go on that site and read all the information, the problem is I already know that stuff. Heres my problem, Glitch has FIP, its hard for him to get up or down so I do everything for him, Which I dont mind but, I need to figure out a way to make him more comfortable. I know he's terminal, its so hard for me to watch him try to jump on the couch. This cat is my world and I just wanted to know if anyone has been through something similar or if someone knew what meds would make him comfortable, you know, lower fever, pain killers, steroids?? I just dont know what to do anymore, watching him die is killing me.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this may sound harsh, but if you see him suffer so much already why not end it before its worse?

*hugs* Please know we are all here for you.

I personally have had many kitties pass away in my time and its hard to let go but sometimes its for the best.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just doesn't seem like it should be at that point already! He still cuddly, on his good days he plays a lil he still eats because his belly is so full of fluids that he has to eat just to keep going, he drink water all the time too. I think I should put him down but then I think of the what ifs and think about if I do it, would I have missed good times with him in the car, playfull fun days and I just dont want to do it too soon!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment with the vet in the morning. He goes once a week and more than that if anything happens. Thank you

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for talking to me when alls I could do is cry.
~amber

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask the vet whether prednisolone (which is a steroid) might help your kitty be more comfortable. Occasionally cats respond to alpha-Interferon, so that's another treatment you can ask your vet about. I lost my Willow to the dry form of FIP in September (confirmed through biopsy samples after she passed), so I know how hard and strange this disease can be. Is Glitch still eating on his own?

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending good wishes to yourself and Glitch, hope all goes well at the vets.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does you kitty have the dry or wet form of FIP?
(I'm assuming it's the wet form, from what you're describing). But if it's the dry form, it may be treatable. As Cloudshade suggested, there are meds available to help keep the cat in remission: I have 2 FIP kitties, and they are both on the Interferon and are responding nicely to it. I would ask your vet about it..

If it's the wet form, there probably isn't very much that can be done, I'm sorry to say..

I realize how difficult it is to make the decision to have your furbaby PTS if he's suffering: I've been there myself on more than one occasion. If you think he still has a good quality of life left yet, I suggest doing what you can to keep him comfortable. But if you think he's truly suffering in any way and isn't enjoying life any longer, you may want to consider doing so. I know how heartbreaking it is to make that decision, but your baby would be grateful to you for ending his suffering...

Ask your vet about the Interferon, or another alternative. I hope that there is something that can be done to help make your furbaby more comfortable while you still have him. I know how you feel - my heart goes out to you & your furbaby..

I'll be sending good vibes your way..

~KK~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glitch has the wet form of FIP. I took him to the vet today and they weighed him, then they took off over a pound of fluid out of his belly. He lost 18oz in the process. They told me its too late for steroid and too soon to PTS. They also said if the fluid returned they would put him on the steroids but that they think it wouldn't be any benefit. He looks so skinny! Its truely unbelievable. The first thing he did after he got his belly drained was jumped off the table and licked his belly. He hasn't been able to do any of that in a long time so it was nice to see. I guess I should let him out of his misery, but whats throwing me off is everything Ive read, and been told said its painless abdominal distension?? Is it really painless? Im so confused!

-Glitch's Mommy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amber,

Since kitties excel in hiding pain, no one can tell you if your kitty is in pain or not. He may very well be, but they do tend to hide it well. If you can't find it within to let him go early, even knowing as you do there is no cure and it could get a lot worse- then all you can do is make his last days as comfortable as possible.

I have a cat living in my bedroom who I was told had FIP. She is now 18 years old and has lived with me now for two years. She has a defined lump in her belly, like an extra pouch. The vet can get this gunky yellow fluid out of it when he drains it, but the fluid always comes back. If she had FIP, she would be dead by now, but she is going strong. She was intentionally run over by her previous owner and then denied vet care.
She can't walk "normally" she crab crawls and hops and so I have put her in my bedroom. She can't climb, so she lives onthe floor on several pillows from outside patio furniture, because pet beds were to cumbersome for her to hop over.

I could have put her down based on what the vet wanted me to do, but I know there is no true test for FIP just like I know there is no cure. So I opted to wait. It is an individual decision for each of us to make when the time comes and no one can force you to do something just because they may want you to. You will know, Glitch will tell you in his eyes when he has had enough. Until then, let him do all he can to enjoy his day and just be there for him like you are right now.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I have put animals down before but this one is different. My other ones have always let me know when its time. I know there is no cure and I know I need to let him go. I just dont know how. He makes me happy when Im sad and has just showed me how to make the best out of each day. He's been sick since the day I got him and I always knew there was something wrong. Ive had him to the vet so many times and they told me so much stuff. Up until now they couldn't tell me what he had, just what he didn't have!

Im so glad your kitty is doing well. I know my wont and I know what I have to do. Thanks

-Amber

P.S. Do you think my seven year old kitty will get it too?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now my poor lil man has like a fatty tumor where they took the fluid out of his belly?? This normal, will it go away? Errrg! My poor baby! I think this may be a sign from above but Ill be darn if it dont stink. He doesn't deserve it!
-Glitch's mom

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost a cat to FIP a couple of years ago. Within 3 weeks of the first symptoms he was gone. The advice I got about letting go was basically if they still seem to be enjoying life - especially eating - that it's not quite time yet. The thing that seemed best for Smudge was just cuddling him, and talking to him. We also let him out on the grass for a bit out back because he was blind at that point, and seemed to like the smells. Try and objectively see if he's responsive to you, wants to be petted, etc. When he withdraws and stops eating, that's when you re-evaluate.

I'm so sorry.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Glitch: I know how you must feel. Just reading your words makes me cry..

Your baby will let you know when he's ready to go: you'll see it in his eyes. Just trust your heart, and you'll find the strength when the time comes. It will be the right thing to do..

I wish I had some magic words to take the pain away. I'm so sorry.

~KK~

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Willow, she let me know when it was time. I may have waited a few hours longer than I would have liked due to work, but for me it was better to know for certain that it was time. I haven't seen any symptoms in Odo. I adopted Zek to keep him company, and both seem happy and healthy. Willow's development of FIP seemed like such a freak thing (she was indoor only and in the "wrong" age range for FIP). My other cats never showed symptoms, and FIP isn't contagious in the way that many other disease are. The corona virus is contagious, but in most cats it isn't a big deal--it's only when it mutates that it results in FIP. No one can guarentee that your 7-year old won't get FIP, but there is a good chance that he/she will remain healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.