Meet Beau

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...1111072038.jpg

I got him off a nice lady on Craigslist, but his fur is matted, he smells awful, his nose and eyes are running, and I think he has fleas. I have him and Braxton in separate rooms with the door closed, and I hope that's enough to keep Braxton healthy. However, I only have one litter box. I don't know what to do!

The lady said he is neutered and UTD on all his shots. She also said he's a purebred. Is there a way for the vet to check this or anything?

I cannot wait until the vet opens at 9am tomorrow!

Oh, and can I cut off his matted fur myself, or do I have to have an expensive groomer do it?

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he's very pretty. I'd have the vet look at him first. Did the lady give you any of his vet records? Be sure to have him tested for feline leuk and feline fiv.

you can set up a temp. litter box with an old cardboard box, line it with a plastic garbage bag and put in the litter. It'll be good til you can get to town for a real one.

I think I'd have him groomed professionally the first time. Right now, since he doesn't trust you yet, it might spook him and delay him warming up to you.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ps...the runny eyes and nose really need attention.

and the vet will have capstar, which will kill the fleas pretty quick. then you can start the frontline plus, but I'm not sure how much time you have to wait between the two treatments, be sure to ask the vet.

Keep us posted on him ok?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make a temporary litterbox from from a cardboard box, lined with a trashbag, and some litter on top of that.
A nearby grocery store can help you with the box, if needed.

Thank you for taking the poor baby in.
See about some capstar for instant flea relief, though you will have to clean the area he was in.
You might be surprised how little it cost to groom a cat - and how fast they can do it. I think it is a bargain when you consider how long it would take you. But I don't think they will groom a sick pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't get any vet records. She said he went to the vet and is healthy... she also said he doesn't have fleas or anything, so either she's not trustworthy, or the black spots or something else.

He seems to trust me a lot already. When he came out of his carrier, he started purring and rubbing against me, and he seems to love being pet.

Also, thanks for the litter box idea!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, an obvious thing to do would be to get a second litter box ASAP, until you have your cat checked by a vet, and quaranteened to make sure he is o'key.
He does look purebred Persian.
Where are the black spots located?
You could have asked the lady what vet did he go to, and then called that vet to verify the information.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, without having vet records, you have to assume he hasn't seen a vet. especially since you have another cat in the house.

get him checked out real good, vaccinated and frontlined, black spots sound like fleas to me

and the runny eyes and nose sound like an upper respiratory infection, easily treated, but very contagious.

I'm interested in knowing what the vet says.

He's really gorgeous

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now he is in my closet (around 10 feet deep and 6 feet wide)/bathroom. My clothes are hanging like 4 feet off the floor. Should I be worried about the fleas getting into my clothes? Maybe I should confine him to the bathroom only?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can also cut the mats away if you ask them to.
He definitely looks to be pure persian.
I think he'll be a very handsome guy once he's cleaned up a bit.

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

Well, an obvious thing to do would be to get a second litter box ASAP, until you have your cat checked by a vet, and quaranteened to make sure he is o'key.
He does look purebred Persian.
Where are the black spots located?
You could have asked the lady what vet did he go to, and then called that vet to verify the information.
I've found maybe 4 or 5 in the white parts of his fur. I would do the white paper flea test, but I don't want to hurt him with the flea comb (his fur is quite matted).

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pigeoned

Right now he is in my closet (around 10 feet deep and 6 feet wide)/bathroom. My clothes are hanging like 4 feet off the floor. Should I be worried about the fleas getting into my clothes? Maybe I should confine him to the bathroom only?
I think you could confine him to the bathroom where there are no carpets. But make sure he has something comfy to sleep on. And put a litterbox in there.
When you take him to a vet I am sure vet will give you something to put on him in case he has flees.
Regarding the mats-I don't know how bad it is, but Persian fur mats very very easily. You could try brushing him even if he has mats.

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the tips everyone

We're going to the vet right when it opens tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it works out!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you sound so excited, and concerned.

this cat is one lucky feline. I have no doubt you will take good care of him.

I'll look for your post tomorrow after you see the vet.

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news!

An hour ago I went to check on him, and he ran right up to me! We had an hour long brushing session, and the whole time he was purring, kneading, and rolling on his back! He ate a little bit, too! His nose and eyes seem a lot less runny! Also, I was looking at the black spots on his fur (on the brush) and none of them are moving at all. Could it just be dirt or something?

Unfortunately, I found lots of matting near the base of his fur. I hope the groomer will be able to get them out!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he's so pretty, he looks like a cat a friend of mine has. his name is Mr. Paws. boy is he spoiled rotten, and full of personality. He's kinda a diva, if you know what I mean.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Here's another picture of him
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...1111072328.jpg
You can already see how much better he's doing!
Because of their flat facial structure, persians can have runny eyes without being sick. You can buy some eye wipes in the pet store and wipe the eyes. I don't think the nose should be runny, though.
He looks really good now. I would say he definetly looks like purebred Persian. He sounds like a really nice cat being so friendly.

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're back from the vet! He isn't horribly sick, thank goodness. He has fleas, so I was given Advantage for both Beau and Braxton. We didn't get Capstar though, I forgot about it =[

He isn't neutered, but they let me sign up for the Wellness program (at Banfield at Petsmart) as a kitten, even though he's an adult! So that means his neutering will be covered, which is great! We're going in next Wednesday for it.

He tested negative for leukemia and FIV, and he got vaccines for distemper, leukemia, and rabies, and he also got antibiotics for his runny nose and eyes. We were also given Drontal for the worms he might have (ewwww!!!! I'm terrified of worms!).

I went to the groomer's after, and they wanted $76 to shave him!!!
I guess I'm going to have to get out my hair scissors and comb and carefully try it myself. Any tips?

This guy has been such a hassle! So much money, and I'm missing class right now

Good thing he's so darn cute!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We're back from the vet! He isn't horribly sick, thank goodness. He has fleas, so I was given Advantage for both Beau and Braxton. We didn't get Capstar though, I forgot about it =[

He isn't neutered, but they let me sign up for the Wellness program (at Banfield at Petsmart) as a kitten, even though he's an adult! So that means his neutering will be covered, which is great! We're going in next Wednesday for it.

He tested negative for leukemia and FIV, and he got vaccines for distemper, leukemia, and rabies, and he also got antibiotics for his runny nose and eyes. We were also given Drontal for the worms he might have (ewwww!!!! I'm terrified of worms!).

I went to the groomer's after, and they wanted $76 to shave him!!!
I guess I'm going to have to get out my hair scissors and comb and carefully try it myself. Any tips?

This guy has been such a hassle! So much money, and I'm missing class right now

Good thing he's so darn cute!
He sure is cute. More photos if you please.

His hair from the photo after you brushed him doesn't look too bad. Since he allows you to brush him, just work on it every day. Good thing he doesn't have any serious problems.