Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm SO angry right now!!!
Me and my boyfriend live at my mom's house because we both are still in school, don't have anywhere else to go, and can't afford a place of our own.

I have worked so hard to pay for my car MYSELF. I have finally paid it off, but it's starting to have problems. My window and my front passenger seat are broken. I've been sick so I haven't been able to save enough money to get them fixed.

My mom's car is messed up. It's drivable, but it makes a weird noise and the headlights don't work at night unless they are on high beam.
I can guarantee her car is messed up because she drives really rough and hits curbs all the time. My mom hardly drives her car anymore. She thinks it's OK to just use mine all the time. She isn't even TRYING to attempt to get her car fixed. She thinks she can just use mine. I DON'T want her to use mine because she is a crazy driver and I'm afraid she's going to mess mine up too. She also eats in my car and TRASHES it!! I wouldn't mind if she sometimes BORROWED my car, but she is acting like it's hers!!!!

I don't know what to do!!!
How can I tell her that until she ATTEMPTS to fix her car that I don't want her to use mine? She's very mean sometimes and if I try to talk to her about stuff like this she threatens to kick us out.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would simply tell her that YOU paid for it, and its YOUR car. If she needs to BORROW it, thats one thing, but she doesnt have a right to TAKE it.

Tell her that you need to get yours fixed, and that you would like her not to use it till you can get it fixed, so that it doesnt get broken futher. Maybe make a few calls, and see if you can get estimates on how much its going to cost her to get hers fixed, to show her you do care.

If she is jsut going to threaten to kick you guys out, then maybe you should be looking for a new place. i know you said you cant afford it, but if your both working ( you and the BF) you can prob afford something like a one bedroom or studio apt with utilitites included, jsut to get out of her hair, she dosent sound like she respects you much anyway.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i would simply tell her that YOU paid for it, and its YOUR car. If she needs to BORROW it, thats one thing, but she doesnt have a right to TAKE it.

Tell her that you need to get yours fixed, and that you would like her not to use it till you can get it fixed, so that it doesnt get broken futher. Maybe make a few calls, and see if you can get estimates on how much its going to cost her to get hers fixed, to show her you do care.

If she is jsut going to threaten to kick you guys out, then maybe you should be looking for a new place. i know you said you cant afford it, but if your both working ( you and the BF) you can prob afford something like a one bedroom or studio apt with utilitites included, jsut to get out of her hair, she dosent sound like she respects you much anyway.
EXACTLY!
If she is going to be like that then it doesnt sound like a very healthy living situation.
And what is going to happen if she does break it? Tell you its your car it needs fixed? Then you will be even more in the hole! I would look around. Or maybe even try getting a loan for a repoed mobile home or something like that. Also do you have any close friends, or a couple you could maybe look into being roomates with? While it may not be the best living situation it would be easy on the wallet while you are still in school.
I know how you feel with feeling like you cant afford a home, I'm in the same spot!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with the other two posters; you're in a sticky situation, but personally judging by friends who are in somewhat similar situations, I know that generally, if you give someone an inch they'll take the whole nine yards and get mad at you if you dare try to defend your rights. Better to right at the outset not let the keys get into her hands, but since they have, I guess it's time to have a non-threatening but just-the-facts-ma'am talk with her, like the other posters said, and if she threatens to kick you out, though it's much easier said than done, maybe the time is right for you to look for something somewhere else. I believe nothing happens by accident, and this may be your fate leading you away from that no-win situation into something where you do have some control over your own life and your own car. My best thoughts and prayers go out for you and may the future hold good things for you!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe if your mom pays room and board for both you and your boyfriend, she should get to use your car. In a perfect world, she would ask first and drive better, but you have to share your car if she's sharing her home.