I got in a debate yesterday.....about towels

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I thought most people did this, probably because I'm small minded and that's how I grew up
Just kidding, but I did think more people did this than I found out at work.

Do you use a bath towel more than once??

To me it seems silly to use a new towel every time you take a shower for these reasons

1 You are clean, so the towel's not really dirty
2 It makes the laundry pile up even faster
3 Washing them so much makes them wear out faster

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
some people change towel every day?? that seems like such a waste.

I use two towels at a time... one for drying myself, one as a bath mat. Every 4-5 days, I put the bath mat one in the laundry, the drying one becomes the bath mat and I take a new drying towel. That means I wash about 2 towels a week.

I don't think there's any need to change every day. As long as you leave it to dry properly, it'll be fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part no; once in awhile I will reuse a towel. Just don't like to hang a wet towel in the bathroom to dry - so we toss them in the hamper in the bathroom. I wash towels once a week - we have plenty to use.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't reuse a towel, but it's only because I share a bathroom with four other people and they all reuse the towels regardless of who else has used them. If John has used it and I'm positive he's the only one, I'll reuse it. Otherwise I just don't feel good about reusing them.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I re-use my bath towel. My reasoning is just like OP's....I'm clean when I get out of the bath! I use one towel for my hair and one for my body. I wash 4 towels every weekend. I guess it's part of my 'cutting back' that should have been included in another post, lol!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use a new one each time. I use it a few times and then wash it. I don't see any real reason to use a new one each time. Your clean when you use the towel, so it's not like it's getting dirty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I don't reuse a towel, but it's only because I share a bathroom with four other people and they all reuse the towels regardless of who else has used them. If John has used it and I'm positive he's the only one, I'll reuse it. Otherwise I just don't feel good about reusing them.
Yeah....I wouldn't either then!!! When I first went to college and had a roommate I hung my towel in my room because she would use mine too! To me that's gross to use your roommate's towel!

But my SO and I will share towels now and again. Especillay if his towel is dryer than mine
Sometimes I take a shower twice a day and that's why his is dryer. He
when I do that

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use my shower towel about 3 times. The hand towels are changed weekly as there are only two of us. I use a separate one for my face that my SO isn't allowed touch!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have my own bathroom, and therefore, my own towels for bathing/face/hand-washing. I wouldn't use someone else's towels! I also keep separate towels for guests to use when staying overnight. However, in the commonly-used bathroom, the 1/2 bath, I always keep paper hand towels for everybody. I think this helps keep DH and I from spreading our germs to each other, and noticed we don't get as sick as we used to since I did this. Plus, when we have parties/guests, everyone has their own fresh towel this way (and a soap dispenser--I hate having to use a grubby cake of soap that someone else used!).

I get my paper hand towels from a warehouse club; they are the kind used for public bathrooms--they have different kinds--mine are wide, flat, white ones that I put in a nice basket on the vanity. Much cheaper this was, than buying the fancy ones (I do sometimes use those for guests--for example, at Christmas, I have printed ones).

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ALWAYS use my towel more than once, and I've been changing it only once a week because we are supposed to be cutting back on our water usage right now. So it helps doing less laundry.
We have 3 towel hooks and a towel bar in our bathroom and each of us know which towel hook is ours and thats the only towel we use! The towel bar is for anyone extra!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse mine. We have 2 adults and a toddler in my house, and we have 5 bath towels and a couple smaller ones which my son uses. I wash them once a week on wash day. SO would reuse the same one for a month if I let him, but I will use mine twice, unless the others have a load of shaving foam on them
, in which case, I will either use them a third time or use a smaller one.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't reuse a towel. It makes me feel dirty for some reason. I've been like that since I was living in an apt and couldn't afford to do laundry very much, but now I can and can't deal with reusing them. ( you should see all the towels I have now!) Hubby used to do that when he lived at home, but doesn't now because he knows it freaks me out.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have room for that many towels to grab a new one every time. I usually use a towel every week or so.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definately reuse a towel. I'm bad about taking things out of the dryer so if DH has a clean towel hanging up I'll use it because mine are still in the dryer.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I change them out every few days. We have plenty of towels, but I would feel guilty wasting that much water to switch them out every day and do more laundry.