Devon Rex

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

Im not sure if this is the right place for this post but I wasnt sure where else to put it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows any good sites where I can find a, for lack of a better word, "color chart" for the Devon Rex?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah ive been there it doesnt say too much cos all colours are accepted

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed and bred Cornish Rex (in which all colors are accepted). I know a lot of genetics for color (for the most part). What exactly are you looking for regarding color?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All colors and patterns are allowed in the Devon Rex.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I showed and bred Cornish Rex (in which all colors are accepted). I know a lot of genetics for color (for the most part). What exactly are you looking for regarding color?
I was just wondering what my kitten's color is....im thinking red tabby but the breeder has her listed as something else

Here's a pic of her

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LILAC/CINNAMON/CHOCOLAT OR SEAL SMOKE?? AND WHITE

is what is says on the web site, its hard to tell from the pics as well cos none are that clear

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was gonna guess a chocolate smoke color from the little picture. When you can get a better picture then we can help evaluate the color.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 alternatives:
- chocolate with white
- natural minkt with white
- burmese brown with white

Deciding colors in Devon Rexes isn't always an easy thing to do.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the eyes are too blue to be a mink (tho the kitten is young yet). If the eye color goes to gold, I'd call the rex a chocolate/white. If its more of an aqua eye color, then it would be mink/white.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking seal mink and white bit i know nothing haha
Im hoping her eyes will stay that blue...keep your eyes posted on this thread cos i pick her up sat and will take LOTS of photos!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only way that would happen if the kitten is a pointed and white - which it doesn't look that way from the little picture....sorry

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

IMO the eyes are too blue to be a mink (tho the kitten is young yet). If the eye color goes to gold, I'd call the rex a chocolate/white. If its more of an aqua eye color, then it would be mink/white.
In Sweden we've learned that judging color in Rexes by eye color is a very unreliable way to determine the correct colors. We have blue eyed cats who have proven to be both mink and sepia by DNA-tests.

Judging kitten color by the eye color is probably even more unrealiable since it can take a long time for the eyes to get their final and mature eye color.

This is a natural mink with white:

and this is the same cat as an adult:

He absolutely doesn't have the aqua colored eyes a natural mink "should" have. The unreliance in determining color by the eye colors are simply that we (at least in Sweden) don't breed by color, we don't work to refine eye colors or coat colors. Not yet.

We've had registred points being changed to minks as well... "pointed" cats that judges have determined being points but DNA-tests have shown they aren't.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's nice looking - but then again he doesn't have BLUE eyes either

Isn't mink considered to be basically a "pointed" cat? I think we just need some better pictures of the kitten other then what is shown to be sure of the color. I'm still sticking to chocolate

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope she is mink cos that kitty is beautiful!!! the kitten even has the same little moustache Murfie has awwww

Hopefully when I pick her up on sat ill be able to take a better photo, here is a pic of her mum

I dont know if the mother is anything to go by, and unfortunately i dont have pics of the dad...never bothered to ask what colour he is

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Isn't mink considered to be basically a "pointed" cat? I think we just need some better pictures of the kitten other then what is shown to be sure of the color. I'm still sticking to chocolate
I think chocolate would be nice too

oh who am i kidding i dont care they're all adorable...except the grey coloured tabby...not a hug fan of them

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can (which would be very helpful) find out what color the mom and dad are
You should get a copy of the pedigree and on there will be the colors too

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

But like I said, we have colorpoints (with very blue eyes) who have proven to be minks so I really don't trust judging by eye color one bit. Not any longer. I used to believe it was that easy, just look at the eyes, but the DNA-tests have proved us wrong many times.

murfie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If you can (which would be very helpful) find out what color the mom and dad are
You should get a copy of the pedigree and on there will be the colors too
Yep will do, im pretty sure the father is mink cos I think the only other 2 males she has are grey tabby....ill let you guys know as soon as i get the papers