Help! Introducing a new, younger cat to an older cat.

tinag89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a new cat as a birthday present. Her name is Tara & she's two years old. I'm not sure what breed she is, I picked her out at the local Petsmart shelter. She's lovable & extremely playful, but my only problem is that I already own a cat. The elder cat is thirteen years old & a Calico. Her name is Sunny-Girl. Now, I've never had two cats before at the same time, so the behavior & everything is all new to me.
Tara has only been here for two days, but already, Sunny doesn't like her - AT ALL. She won't even stay on the same floor of the house as Tara. She is also craving attention like never before (which I expected). The one thing that I'm extremely worried about with Sunny is that she seems to have stopped eating since Tara's arrival. I'm not sure if that's because of Tara or if it's because she's finally getting sick. I noticed today that her food dish was mostly empty, but (& I feel horrible for saying this) I'm not sure if Tara ate it or not. I don't think she would have, because I try to keep an eye on them.
Now, I'm a full-time student & employee at an assisted living home, so, naturally, I can't be here 24/7. I've never seen or heard them fight or anything, so I imagine that they arn't. But I can't really guarentee anything. Sunny is an old lady, but a tough one. Tara doesn't seem to be the crazy or violent type of cat, either.
I'm just look for some advice, pointers & answers. All is very appriciated.
Thanks you guys! I'll post some pictures a little later.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are territorial so Sunny's behavior is very normal. I am glad there's been no fighting and this is probably because Tara seems to have no intention to takeover Sunny's place as the alpha and resident cat. I have a calico myself and they are quite dominant and snobbish to newcomers.

There are quite a number of good suggestions in the stickies above. You will learn a lot about intros. By the way, not eating is probably a sign of stress so I suggest you feed Sunny in a separate room until she feels more comfortable around Tara.

azcarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tinag89

I recently got a new cat as a birthday present. Her name is Tara & she's two years old. I'm not sure what breed she is, I picked her out at the local Petsmart shelter. She's lovable & extremely playful, but my only problem is that I already own a cat. The elder cat is thirteen years old & a Calico. Her name is Sunny-Girl. Now, I've never had two cats before at the same time, so the behavior & everything is all new to me.
Tara has only been here for two days, but already, Sunny doesn't like her - AT ALL. She won't even stay on the same floor of the house as Tara. She is also craving attention like never before (which I expected). The one thing that I'm extremely worried about with Sunny is that she seems to have stopped eating since Tara's arrival. I'm not sure if that's because of Tara or if it's because she's finally getting sick. I noticed today that her food dish was mostly empty, but (& I feel horrible for saying this) I'm not sure if Tara ate it or not. I don't think she would have, because I try to keep an eye on them.
Now, I'm a full-time student & employee at an assisted living home, so, naturally, I can't be here 24/7. I've never seen or heard them fight or anything, so I imagine that they arn't. But I can't really guarentee anything. Sunny is an old lady, but a tough one. Tara doesn't seem to be the crazy or violent type of cat, either.
I'm just look for some advice, pointers & answers. All is very appriciated.
Thanks you guys! I'll post some pictures a little later.
Hi! Several of us are in the process of integrating a new cat into the household. Maybe you'd like to join our discussion here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147001
Good luck!