We've Decided (kind of a cross- post, but not really)

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're keeping Dozer. No questions, no doubts. He's staying.

We didn't choose to adopt this dog. If it had been up to us, we would have waited about two more years and purchased a pure-bred dog from a breeder, or gone to a (good) rescue and adopted an older dog.

That being said, we made the decision not to allow him to go to a kill shelter. We made the decision not to drop him off with some unsuspecting friend. We chose not to allow him to be returned to the pet store where he was treated so badly. We *chose* to take care of him the way he deserves to be cared for.

We haven't gotten it right every single time. DH and I disagree on how a dog's mind works. But I think I'm finally beginning to bring him around to my way of thinking, and the more progress we make there, the more he helps with the necessary training. He's beginning to understand, and the more DH understands, the more Dozer understands.

He's got more energy than we do. But neither of us could hurt from increasing our activity levels. And who knows, maybe increasing our activity levels will affect our energy levels too, right?

Yes, there's a baby on the way. But I don't worry about Dozer hurting the baby. I also know that I can get child-care if I need it for an hour a day to walk him, or I can put the baby in the stroller when the days are warm enough. It won't kill me, and it won't kill the baby, either.

Dozer isn't a "good dog." He's a *wonderful* dog and family pet. He loves his humans (even if he isn't particularly possessive or protective of us!). He loves to play. He's friendly, and he's great with children. His prey-drive is low, and he's good with the cats (even if Molly's the only one who accepts him as part of her family).

He regresses from time to time: I think everybody does.

I love him and I'm willing to put forth the work and effort for this dog. He doesn't need a *new* forever home. He already has his forever home!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I every once in awhile I think that all of need a reminder. I'm glad to have him in our lives, even if he isn't "perfect." After all, who is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And he is a special dog, too! He's been good all day... And we've been working together *much* better since I got a good night's sleep!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's great- i'm glad ya'll are trying to make it work. he sounds like a great dog - and deserves nothing but the best

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be a difficult time - I remember when I had an 11-month old and was about to have another. Talk about tired!

I'm so glad about Dozer. You never know - in 20 years, this child may have its best memories about that dog!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talk about tired! The drynes in the house is also making me feel like I have a cold (even though I'm pretty sure that I don't) and that's flat wearing me out. Plus I have Whisper thinking that he owns the bed right now

Oh, well. Things will get better. I just needed a reminder of why I love the dog so much!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, bless your hearts for keeping Dozer! And congratulations on finding a wonderful home, big fella...

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what's odd? I'm really looking forward to walking him now!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

You know what's odd? I'm really looking forward to walking him now!
Uh-oh...hope this isn't that "burst of energy" LOL. When are you due?

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! I'm due on 12/11. I've already had a couple of energy bursts, and gone into premature labor once, but the two weren't connected

I think more than anything I just actually *slept* last night for the first time in *forever!*

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL! I'm due on 12/11. I've already had a couple of energy bursts, and gone into premature labor once, but the two weren't connected

I think more than anything I just actually *slept* last night for the first time in *forever!*
Oh, ok, whew! I had my first after a burst of energy shoveling snow!

You're good to go on 12/6 - it's my birthday!

(Sorry, mods, back to your regularly scheduled topic)

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey now! It's my topic and I'll tangent if I want to :p

I'm thinking we're going to go on the 22nd (of this month). Here's hoping!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey now! It's my topic and I'll tangent if I want to :p

I'm thinking we're going to go on the 22nd (of this month). Here's hoping!
Go for the 23rd - I've got 2 Scorpio children, and believe me - you want Sagittarius!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! We'll have to see what happens. I could wind up with a Capricorn!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the dryness in your house: I put our large stock pot, full of plain water, on top of the stove. Boil it, then turn off the heat; repeat several times during the day. It is amazing how fast the water evaporates.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are taking him in!!!! It's nice just knowing that you personally changed an animals life for the better!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! We've had a really good day together, too... Just lots of "family time" with us and the dog... Whisper's in a mood because Molly keeps beating up on him, and Reagan has found a new spot in the spare bedroom, so Dozer hasn't had too much distraction... Just us. It's been great!

I'll have to try the pot on the stove trick. We've got a humidifier in the bedroom, but it doesn't reach the entire house :-/